PDA

View Full Version : Emergency! I need a CCW gun!

2ndAmendmentNut
10-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Okay going to ask the experts here.

I need a concealed carry gun. I work and live close to the Texas/Mexico border and things are getting scary down here. I don’t ever want to be with out a gun now.

Here are my prerequisites.

1) Easy enough to carry and conceal, so I never find myself making excuses.

2) 110% reliable.

3) Able to handle boolits so I can load and practice a lot. Also the gun needs to be able to handle the frequent practice sessions.

I am open to autos or revolvers, but currently I have been eyeing the 3” 1911s and the Glock 36 slim-line.

bigboredad
10-22-2010, 12:33 PM
I've had good luck with a sprinngfield xd compact. It hides easy carries 10 rounds with the compact mag and 13 with the extended mag. shoots well with the rcbs 230-rn and range lead leaves a bright shiny barrel. good luck

mtnman31
10-22-2010, 01:24 PM
If you want something that is concealable, comfortable and reliable, look at one of the surplus CZ82's. They are inexpensive, compact, and very reliable. The biggest con to the CZ-82 is availability of a variety of ammo. The 9mm Makarov just doesn't have a big variety in bullet designs or weight.

If you plan on open carry, the sky is the limit but I'd be wearing my H&K USP .45.

whitetailsniper
10-22-2010, 01:37 PM
I to carry a springfield xd 45 and love,and trust it...but my second carry choice is a kahr,,look into them,slim,nice carry gun,and reliable.
reason i went with the xd is the size of my hands,it has to fit you as well as you fit it.

Moonie
10-22-2010, 01:41 PM
For me, large or small its 1911

Chainsaw2
10-22-2010, 01:51 PM
I live in Texas, and when it gets too hot, I put whatever I feel like carrying in a pistol pouch around my waist. As long as it doesn't pattern, you're ok.

Keep a long gun in the vehicle if you don't already.

Good luck
jim

bbailey7821
10-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Where you stationed at, Nut? I'm south of Kingsville... I like a Taurus 24/7 12 shot 45 in a pancake holster and a 38 derringer in my boot. It is getting kinda weird down here, isn't it? If you're close enough, you're welcome to try out a couple of mine before you buy.

:Fire:

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Ruger SP101 3.0625" barrel . . . get some Houges for it . . .

Finster101
10-22-2010, 03:34 PM
I've had good luck with a sprinngfield xd compact. It hides easy carries 10 rounds with the compact mag and 13 with the extended mag. shoots well with the rcbs 230-rn and range lead leaves a bright shiny barrel. good luck

+1 on the XD I have run many different types of ammo and never a failure to feed or fire.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Hey guys thanks for the info. Just to let you all know, I already have a 9mm XD sub-compact which I really like however it is a bit on the chunky side and I find my self leaving it behind on hot days. I need a gun that can go anywhere with me, the XD would almost fit the bill, if only it where slimmer…

2ndAmendmentNut
10-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Where you stationed at, Nut? I'm south of Kingsville... I like a Taurus 24/7 12 shot 45 in a pancake holster and a 38 derringer in my boot. It is getting kinda weird down here, isn't it? If you're close enough, you're welcome to try out a couple of mine before you buy.

:Fire:

Thanks for the offer, I am close to Eagle Pass.

Tom-ADC
10-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Check the for sale forum, I'd go with a Glock 21 in 45 ACP:!:

whitetailsniper
10-22-2010, 04:43 PM
With that being said,,,,, KAHR OR ANOTHER FINE ONE IS COUGAR 45 BY STOGHER,,THIS IS A VERY FINE GUN,DOESNT PRINT, CHROME LINED BARREL,,ROTATING LOCKING LUG ANOTHER FINE CHOICE. PRICE IS RIGHT AS WELL.

Snapping Twig
10-22-2010, 05:22 PM
DW CBOB.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P2260010.jpg

Light commander size, solid, 8 round mag + 1 in the pipe.

230g cast TC @ 850fps.

Bobtails don't print like a regular 1911 and the thin profile is just right for CCW. The right bullet, my preference a cast 230g TC, penetrates and disrupts.

DW has the Valor model now and a CCO, but check their site.

RugerFan
10-22-2010, 05:51 PM
I use a Ruger SP101 .357 Mag snubbie. It would certainly meet all your criteria.
http://ruger.com/products/sp101/models.html

Antother fine choice is the Kahr CW9
http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_cw.html

35remington
10-22-2010, 07:13 PM
The correct answer to a craving for a 3" 1911 is HELL NO!

If you knew exactly how shortening the 1911 makes it much more likely they'll suffer jams, you'd run like hell. I can lay it out in exact detail, should you so wish.

Bottom line is that they're trying to sell you an unreliable gun....and hoping you won't understand the reliability issues that occur. The makers aren't going to mention it because they want to make a profit, and they sure don't care about your general wellfare in a situation where you desperately need a gun.

You should draw the lower limit at 4 to 4.25 inches in a 1911. Shorter is worse in terms of reliability. Much worse. If you're worried about weight, get an aluminum frame.

If reliability is 110 percent important to you, a shorty 1911 will never be in your pocket.

Dan Cash
10-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Snapping Twig has the idea. A Commander or Government model 1911 is very easy to conceal. If you can afford the bobbed grip, so much the slicker but you can hide either version under an untucked shirt. The longer barrel Commander and Government model carry and balance better than the 3" barrel guns which tend to be grip heavy when loaded. Also, the standard size frame is easier to grasp when drawing, at least for me. Commander or Government with an 8 round Wilson mag and one up the spout with a pair of 10 round Wilsons on your belt provide a lot of fighting capability and are easy to carry.

redneckdan
10-22-2010, 07:28 PM
I would recommend getting a J-frame smith for carry when other things are too 'clunky' and then a large frame auto for more serious social matters.

Groo
10-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Groo here
For an "Always work gun" get a revolver,, A 3in is the best IMHO but it is what you like
Smith or Ruger in 357mag {range work 38sp trail 357]
In auto 35 Rem is correct that the 3 in 1911's are "picky" I have some that work but you pay for it ans usually shoot FMJ only...
I find a commander frame best for carry " very good sitting in a car' in Alu, but most all large
autos are hard to hide well .
As you are out in Big Sky country "I have an aunt there" I would choose a 357 revolver
or a 357 sig auto they are easer to hit with at extended ranges like there...

mike in co
10-22-2010, 07:32 PM
If you want something that is concealable, comfortable and reliable, look at one of the surplus CZ82's. They are inexpensive, compact, and very reliable. The biggest con to the CZ-82 is availability of a variety of ammo. The 9mm Makarov just doesn't have a big variety in bullet designs or weight.

If you plan on open carry, the sky is the limit but I'd be wearing my H&K USP .45.

hornady offers an 95 gr xtp for the mak
the mak has 10% more enrrgy than a 380

and the cz82 is a 12 rd gun for 200 bucks

mike in co
10-22-2010, 07:46 PM
short light guns are hard to control, have no sight radius and a pain to hit things with,,,,,.

for a revolver i would say atleast a 4" bbl...for sighting...

for a semi..depends on the caliber.....but again around 4"

lite guns in large calibers are hard to control....
ask any gun shop about how many small 357's they have sold and taken back in trade....

mass works in your favor...even if it means you have to carry it all day.

where you are at i would go with a full size 45...a staggered stack or double stack...

deall with the weight...

what good is a lite gun if :a) you cannot hit anything, or b) it does not stop the attack.

as an examble i often travel with a p64...ppk size 9mak......but i keep a 10 rd 45acp close by...

a steel framed 9mm with hornady 140 xtp's(designed for 38's) will work from 800fps and up. i load mine at 1000 to 1100. in a cz75.....16plus 1....it would work.( resized down to 356)

bottom line lots work some are marginal...but it seems a 1911 seldon fails.
( should i mention a 16 rd 10mm with 180 golden sabers.....no double taps needed)

mike in co

Char-Gar
10-22-2010, 07:52 PM
I have been carrying a Walter PPK in 380 for many years. It is stoked with Buffalo Bore's new hot ammo. It is carried in my front pants pocked in a Kramer pocket holster and there is an extra clip in the other pocket. May not suit some folks, but it suits me.

In my car is a full size Norinco 1911A1 and five loaded clips.

My house is three miles from the Rio Grande River and yes things are getting spooky down here. Two weeks ago there was a cartel hit with automatic rifles one mile from my home. Two guys got wasted as they drove down a street.

AnthonyB
10-22-2010, 07:54 PM
There are many possible answers to this one, and you will have to experiment to see how far you are willing to go in order to carry every time you leave the house. For me the search lead to a Kahr P9 customized into the P9 Covert configuration (back before it was a factory option; discontinued now I believe). Lighter and thinner than a J frame; about the same size as the 380s of the time, and gave a 115 grain JHP 1100 at the muzzle. It goes with me everywhere I am legally allowed to carry. Fits in a front pocket very well, and I don't carry an extra mag.
Bottom line is that you must make anything we suggest work for you.
Tony

Suo Gan
10-22-2010, 08:03 PM
How bout a 38 special snubbie with laser grips? I would steer clear of the scandiums. I use a 50 year old S&W. Have a smith bob it and work it over good for you. A modern smith, Ruger, or Taurus (among others) should be a good bet. See which one fits your hand the best and buy that one. I do not place a lot of stock in a shrunk down 1911. I have a shrunk down Beretta 92 (84) in 380acp which feeds, functions and is a flawless weapon for the past twenty five years, but the 380 is a seriously wimpy round and I would not consider one in that caliber for a CCW sidearm, but the wife likes it. I would say the same goes for 22 lr, 25acp, 32acp as well.

You can get good with a snubbie too, don't let anyone tell you different.

Arisaka99
10-22-2010, 08:09 PM
North American Arms!! I used to be a member of their forum untill I found this one. They have all kind of guns mainly .22 5 shot mini revolvers.

Phillip
10-22-2010, 08:41 PM
How about the Ruger Alaskan in 45LC/454 Casull?

http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedhawkAlaskan/models.html

waksupi
10-22-2010, 09:39 PM
I agree on the 1911 barrel length. Although I do carry a Combat Commander as my daily pistol, I do believe the full size government would be more dependable in a sticky situation. If a 1911 was supposed to have a shorter barrel, John Browning would have made it shorter to start with.

crabo
10-22-2010, 09:57 PM
S&W 642 in right front pocket with a speed strip in back left pocket. You forget you have it with you.

JudgeBAC
10-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Any Glock in the caliber of your choice.

Hated the darn things for years until a Model 19 came my way and I really love the ugly son of a gun after shooting it. Simple, rugged, reliable, accurate in general everything you need in a self defense weapon.

Don't know if it really was necessary but I bought a cut rifle bbl. for boolits. Shoots anything in the 125 gr. range extremely well.

Try it, you will like it.

2wheelDuke
10-23-2010, 12:09 AM
I agree with most of what's been said. J-frames or similar are good carry guns, but in theory, the firepower is a bit limited compared to some other choices.

I recently "upgraded" to a Glock 30 for my carry gun. It's a bit bigger than the 5 shot .38 it "replaces" but has a great deal more firepower, being a .45 instead, and having more than double the capacity, and I have Glock 21 magazines for 13+1.

I love 1911's, but I've heard about the 3" models being picky as well. I've also heard some complaints about reliability on the Glock 36 online.

Whatever you go with, train well with it so you know you can count on it.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Okay guys thank you for all the input so far. I was at a local gun store today which had a pretty good selection of guns for me to do the touch feely thing on all of them. I handled a at least 25 different guns including Ruger’s LCR and LCP, Kahrs in 45~9mm, J-frames, and a number of compact 1911s. I now know that a 3” 1911 just feels plain wrong and I had my selection pretty much down to a Kahr 45 or a S&W airweight in 38+P, that is until a Glock 26 caught my eye. When it comes to full size autos 1911s and XD have always been my personal choice, however this little Glock felt real good in the hand and seemed to point fairly well. Anyone have some thoughts on the Glock 26? The store did not have a Glock 36 for me to handle, but I am curious if anyone knows the approximate difference in size between a 26 and a 36? Also any opinions on the Glock 36 it self?

jh45gun
10-23-2010, 12:53 AM
A 45 of either the short or long variety and the idea of a derringer as an extra is not a bad idea either. A 12 gauge in the vehicle would not be all bad either.

lonewelder
10-23-2010, 01:00 AM
It's hard to hide anything in texas in the summer.I have liked a PP in 32 or 3" 37.If I thought I might run into trouble I would carry something bigger.A taurus mod 431 5shot 44 spl works realy good in a pancake

odis
10-23-2010, 02:08 AM
I have always figured if I was living in an environment like yours I would go with a full size 1911, but lately I have been swayed by my latest gun a S&W M624 3 incher, I feel very confident that this gun could give me the "edge" in a bad situation. Good luck hope you never need which ever gun you pick.

TDC
10-23-2010, 02:34 AM
Search as you may, you probably aren't going to find anything that will make you 100% happy, or even 75%. You're either going to have to give up on power or size, then weigh which direction you most prefer.. If you had to use it it would likely be within 10 yards with the carry gun.

For "on my person carry" I'd opt for a dependable and concealable S&W J frame Mod 60 or K frame Mod 19 or 66 2 1/2" in 357 mag. In my vehicle I'd have a well hidden but accessible 4" 41mag, 44mag or a 45 LC DA revolver or a full sized 45 auto. If the shootin' starts who cares how big (or small) the pistol is as long as it's effective. I'd want accuracy, control and above all, one shot knock-down power if possible.... but that's just me.....

WILCO
10-23-2010, 03:13 AM
if only it where slimmer…

I've got the same problem. I need to be slimmer too..........[smilie=s:

chaos
10-23-2010, 06:30 AM
1911's are the easiest to conceal, that I have found.

Either get a commander or a FULL SIZE. The extra little bit of barrel is not any harder to conceal than Commander length.

I carry in the Texas heat, and can say that a quality holster trumps all as far as size of gun.

Look at Tucker gunleather http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/index.html.

They are expensive and the wait to get one is extraordinarly long...... worth every penny. I carry in one of his pancakes in 105 degree weather under a t-shirt.

The belt he made me could easily double as a tow strap for my F-250

I've tried the XD's and a few others, but they are just too thick. The slimness of a 1911 cant be beat.

Chaos

uncle joe
10-23-2010, 06:50 AM
I agree the 1911 government model I have is the best to hide and the long barrel does not effect that if you go to an inside waste band holster. I have an HK usp compact 45 and the colt is much easier to hide and handle. I also carry a smith mod 60 which is very light and easy to hide outside the wasteband but if I were living close to the monsters swimming across the river like some of you I would want the most firepower I could carry. Look at it this way, if carrying a full size colt on your side is making you lean to one side, just put one on the other side and you'll balance out.

Heavy lead
10-23-2010, 07:20 AM
I'll never be without my Smith 642, I like it's hammerless, shoots pretty darn good at 25 yards too, don't need the Titanium or Scanadium, don't need the .357, the aluminum frame and .38's are fine, and doesn't matter what I've got on, goes in the front right pocket and is always there like my keys and wallet.
Now I've also got a Kimber Pro Carry aluminum frame commander size, it's awesomely reliable, tritium sights, and light. When I feel a need this goes in the small of my back. I simply shoot the 4" barrel better than any 5" gun, don't know why, just do.
Also keep a beater 94 in 44 mag in my truck tooif the SHTF for real and I was in the truck, to hell with the handguns.

big dale
10-23-2010, 08:28 AM
I like your idea about the Glock 26. I often carry a Glock 27 in the cargo pockets of my jeans. I have big pockets cause I am a big guy. The pickup can carry some pretty good sized handguns, but the Glock 20 is in it most frequently. No telling how many rounds have been shot thru it since it was new back in '96.

Big Dale

Bret4207
10-23-2010, 08:33 AM
J frame Smith 38 and 3-4 speed strips. Or a Charter BD 44 and 3-4 speed strips.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Good luck hope you never need which ever gun you pick.

I hope and pray so too...

I should probably clarify that this gun will be my “no excuses not to have a gun” gun I have bigger things in the truck. However do to the fact that sometimes my vehicle and I are separated by quite some distance on occasion I might just need something to “help” get me back there. Anyways I think I have my decision narrowed down to a G26 or G36. The 26 tucked nicely into my front jeans pocket, (will get a real holster but I was just wanted to have an idea about conceal ability) I always wear jeans even in the summer (too much brush that I have to walk thru. I reload both 9 and 45, and I am a 45 lover so naturally I am leaning towards the 36, but the fact that a short gripped 9 would be easer to control is also weighing on my mind…

Freightman
10-23-2010, 09:45 AM
How about the Ruger Alaskan in 45LC/454 Casull?

http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedhawkAlaskan/models.html
+1 What ever will leave the biggest hole and leak the most, and go through car windows.

bob208
10-23-2010, 09:53 AM
no one has come up with the one i think is good. a browning high- power. a fair amount of ammo. it is easy to carry. also it is real steel which is good if you have to give someone a wack on the head.

i would not trust my life to any pistol that is striker fired or da only.

Groo
10-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Groo here
Get the 40s&w verson G-39 or the 357 sig verson G-33
With conversion barrels you can shoot 9mm [+mags] 357 sig and 40 with a barrel change..
I have one.. 9mm for cheep pratice heaver for bad times,,
with a small bag of barrels and mags you have an "end of things kit".
PS I think the Border Patrol uses sig..

dk17hmr
10-23-2010, 11:12 AM
I carry a Keltec 32acp alot, not only as a back up but as a primary when I am in clothing that doesnt allow me to conceal my 1911 or CW45. I carry Winchester Silver tips in the 32, they are a bit spendy but run 100% in the little gun. The expandsion is impressive on jack rabbits, small hole in 2" hole coming out.

If I was in your location I would favor a high capacity 9mm or 40 S&W with several extra mags....with a high powered semi auto rifle close at hand.

HeavyMetal
10-23-2010, 11:19 AM
I will now open my mouth and stick in my foot!

The OP keeps big stuff in his truck so what he needs is something "powerfull" and concealable to keep him covered until he can get to his rig.

Star PD in 45

Star Firestar in 9mm or 40 ambi safety for us lefties!

Star BM BK or BKM if you can find one in 9mm

These are fairly inexpensive if you can find one, flat as all get out, they are not plastic, da only, or double stack guns, and all have reasonable mag capacity.

Everybody will knock the Star but if you check around the guys who have them aren't letting them go, any one wonder why?

Once you pick a pistol don't fall into the heavy boolit syndrome!

Have just bought Evan Marshalls book, Handgun Stopping Power, and the amount of failures with 230 grain 45 rounds and 147 grain 9mm is appalling but not unexpected.

Silver tips, if they work in the gun, are the best commercial load you can buy but they don't feed in everything so did not get Marshalls blessings and I can't blame him for that!

115 in a 9mm, 135 to 150 in a 40, 200 in a 45 auto, break 1000 fps and your good to go!

38 J frame? Sorry no sell! To bulky for ammo supply and power level, 357 in this frame size is just plain dumb.

High cap Glock? Magazine capacity is not a substitute for marksmenship! I have never seen a "skinny" Glock! Buying a gun that got a butt bigger around than the length of the barrel seems self defeating in a "Concealable?" pistol.

Given a Glock, and I don't care what model it is, I would trade it as fast as possible for one of the guns listed above and be ashamed that I put one over on the guy who got the Glock!

No insult to how a Glock performs or shoots, I have actually fired several, I just think the design is "Magnum Stupid"!

Who thought putting a "safety" in the trigger was a good idea?

My two cents.

BD
10-23-2010, 11:27 AM
I don't know what you do for a living, but in the stinkin' hot low country my S&W 442 is always in my right front pocket. It allows me to sit at my desk or wear a tool belt, take off my shirt, change into swimming trunks, climb scaffolding or crawl under a piece of equipment all without thinking about it or being "made". I'd much prefer to be carrying the 1911, but there is no way I can pull it off in my current job in this climate.

If you put 50 rounds a week through it, drawing from your pocket, you will get fast and accurate.

BD

mike in co
10-23-2010, 11:43 AM
a star bm is a 1911 scaled down to 9mm. steel on steel construction, no grip safety.

excellent guns...so thinner than a 1911 and with a modern bullet design(golden saber is my choice) an easy gun to shoot ...with a spare mag should be enough to get back to the truck, and not break the bank...

mike in co

hicard
10-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Under such circumstances, I carry a Kimber Pro Carry 45 ACP. The original and best combat arm made. Easy to conceal and a powerful package. Very reliable. Not cheap but sometimes, you get what you pay for.

Bullshop
10-23-2010, 12:38 PM
I have two J frame S&W's available.
A 4" stainless 32 mag
A 2" blued 32 long

2ndAmendmentNut
10-23-2010, 01:34 PM
I thank you all again for the support and help, I am leaning heavily towards the Glock 36 now. Help to push me towards or away from a Glock 36 would be nice.:bigsmyl2:

Lee W
10-23-2010, 01:37 PM
I have been to a few training classes and leagues over the years and in my opinion, get either a Glock 27 or a J frame Smith. I have shot the 1911 in competition for years and when I switched the a Glock 34, My times got much better. Perhaps it was the switch from 45 to 9mm. I will find out next year since it is the birthday of the 1911...:drinks:
De-cockers and DA/SA types get a confusing in stressful situations and that is not good. If I ever replace my Para P12 4 1/4 barrel custom, I will get the G27.
I have also found that concealing the grip is the hardest thing. You can hide a 6" barrel much better than a 6" grip.

http://www.glock.com/english/glock27.htm

missionary5155
10-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Greetings
5 shot 38 revolvers are tough to beat in hot weather. Especially the newer S6W´s that weight 13 ounces. Get the 357 model and load it with 38+p equvalent 357 160 grainer WC reloads (Lyman / Ideal 358432) . I have a Laser grip sight on it also.
Carry those little things all day and easily forget it is there.
Down here (Peru) we have 5 shot 38 (steel) also. Will be putting a Laser grip on that one also.

donjose
10-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Glock all the way!!!!!

EOD3
10-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Groo here
Get the 40s&w verson G-39 or the 357 sig verson G-33
With conversion barrels you can shoot 9mm [+mags] 357 sig and 40 with a barrel change..
I have one.. 9mm for cheep pratice heaver for bad times,,
with a small bag of barrels and mags you have an "end of things kit".
PS I think the Border Patrol uses sig..

My primary CCW is a Glock 33. If I happen to miss, I figure the muzzle BLAST and FLASH is almost as good as a hit. :!:

EOD3
10-23-2010, 05:36 PM
I thank you all again for the support and help, I am leaning heavily towards the Glock 36 now. Help to push me towards or away from a Glock 36 would be nice.:bigsmyl2:

The 36 has a six round magazine whereas the 27 .40 S&W and 33 .357 Sig although a little thicker carry ten rounds. The 27 and 33 will accept magazines meant for their larger brothers which gives you a high-capacity pistol with just a magazine swap. The 36 doesn't share this characteristic.

I carry the 33 but the 27 would be nearly as good. IMHO, the "slightly" thinner 36 loses too much magazine capacity. .02/YMMV

bdutro
10-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I have a Glock 22 and it's fine for the job. I always trust it to make a bang when I want it to. With Crimson Trace laser installed, low light shooting is a piece of cake. 3.5# polished trigger bar helps the typical Glock creepy trigger but it is still no match for a DA/SA Sig 239, my dad packs the 239 every day and it's much more comfortable than a Glock.

If I were buying a Glock style striker pistol, look real hard at Smith's M&P guns. I like them better than the current Glock offerings. The G guns are so plentiful though that you should be able to get any one you want for ~$500.

Catshooter
10-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Don't forget the Glock 39. The size of the 26 with .45 ACP ballistics.

I do have to say though, do you realize the irony of a "2ndAmendmentNut just now deceiding to get a carry gun, now that things are getting hairy down in Texas?

You do know that that is the essense of the 2nd, right?

No intent to flame or attack, really. As someone who starting carrying at 12 I realize I'm the odd duck in this country where no more than 5% have their CCW.

Cat

bigboredad
10-23-2010, 10:20 PM
i would definitely go with the glock but have you looked at the glock 30? I know they are very fat but they can use the higher cap mags when needed. A couple of months ago at the range the guy shooting next to me was wearing a t shirt and some jean shorts. he was shooting a glock 20 I asked him how he liked it and how the recoil was we talked a bit and he let me try it I was amazed at how light the recoil felt how easy it was to shoot as I handed it back to him he reached under his shirt and said this is the one that the roils is not fun and produced a glock 29. For me the 29 was easier to shoot and the recoils felt less and he had no problem hiding it on a hot summer day.
sorry for the long way to say get the glock and get the smallest size with the biggest hole that carries the most ammo

2ndAmendmentNut
10-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Don't forget the Glock 39. The size of the 26 with .45 ACP ballistics.

I do have to say though, do you realize the irony of a "2ndAmendmentNut just now deceiding to get a carry gun, now that things are getting hairy down in Texas?

You do know that that is the essense of the 2nd, right?

No intent to flame or attack, really. As someone who starting carrying at 12 I realize I'm the odd duck in this country where no more than 5% have their CCW.

Cat

Just so you know this is not my first carry gun nor will it be my only. I just am looking for a gun that will never be left behind like the GP100 and full size 1911s have on occasion.

buck1
10-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Charter arms bulldod in .44 spl. With thunderwhere holster its invisiable and revolvers dont have a history of jamming.......Buck

2ndAmendmentNut
10-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Well I will probably have a new CCW by tomorrow, still not quite sure, but the Glock 36 is out as of now... Need to go touch and handle a few more guns, the hand will know.

mike in co
10-24-2010, 01:43 AM
Under such circumstances, I carry a Kimber Pro Carry 45 ACP. The original and best combat arm made. Easy to conceal and a powerful package. Very reliable. Not cheap but sometimes, you get what you pay for.

gee lets see......kimber started making thier pro in 1910 ???

sorry you are not even close.....

the 1911 is predated by the 9mm........
how much "combat" have they seen >>i know the 1911 and the luger have seen combat......what wars were the kinbers used in ??

over priced over labelled gaudy "name brand" is just that....

yes but you are over paying for anything with a kimber name on it.....

just my opinion...except for the facts in the first three lines...

yes you are allowed to like your over priced gun, but dont make claims that just are not true

mike in co
10-24-2010, 02:06 AM
ok since you are still looking...consider a few more things..

9mm/40s&w/357sig/357mag are all high pressure rounds.
in a small light wieght gun they will try to twist out of your grip....making the second shot tuff.
if you go light wieght for carry, you give up ease of controll for ease of carry.
most plastic guns have no hammer...no second strike on a misfire...your MUST rack the slide and start over.

380/9mak/38 spcl/45acp are all low pressure rounds........but normally 9mak and 380 are seen in blow back guns......again trying to disturb the gun in your hand...not impossible...just harder than a 38 spcl./45acp........

38's are round count limited, and 45's are tuff to make "compact"

all the guns in compact form will have a short sight radius making aimed shots tuff.

i do not see a 'ONE GUN ONLY' answer.

any will be a compromise.
for me going up in size is the ppk sized p64 in 9 mak(6+1), the star bm in 9mm(8+1), CZ83 IN 9MAK (12+1)a cz75/85 in 9 or 40(12/16 and up), a 1911 in 45acp (7/8)and then a 1911/cz75 on steroids double stackguns...a p16in 10mm( ok 40 is ok)(16+1)a p14 in 45acp, or, if it ever works, the eaa witness in 40/45/10mm(14 and up).

only the first 2 or 3 fit your summer criteria..in my opinion...

NOTICE NO REVOLVERS.....i aint a revolver guy.......there are several small steel framed 38's that would work...but why carry 5/6 when you can carry..8-9-10 or more.
i'd still like to see more field data on the 327 fed mag.......

just things to ponder in your search...

mike in co

ironhead7544
10-24-2010, 08:25 AM
I have been carrying the G26 since it came out. Bought it as a BUG to my issue G17. Found I could shoot it nearly as well as the G17. Using an Andrews Custom Leather IWB it hides under a T-shirt. Added the +2 mag bottom for 13 shots of CorBon 115 gr ammo that goes 1260 FPS from the short barrel. Its a compromise but a good one. Its the smallest size I want to carry. The G19 would also be good, or the 40 cal Glocks if you prefer a heavier bullet. Just my .02.

10-25-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm a huge fan of my 642 goes with me everywhere when i'm not at work.

bhn22
10-25-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm a bit puzzled here. You already have a Springfield XD, but feel it's too thick so you're looking at Glocks?. The XD Sub & Glock 26 are nearly identical, dimensionally. Also, you want a pistol that you can use to fight your way to the truck for your real pistol. Personally, I'd keep a Mini 14 with a folding stock in the truck, and learn to manage a full-size 1911 or Commander. Learning to manage the pistol is the real key here. Like most of us, you probably have plenty of suitable handguns. At this time, I'm looking for a 3 in. fixed sight GP100 with the short barrel shroud. With a decent trigger, and a set of compact grips it might just be my nirvana revolver. I already have a S&W 649 in .357 mag & it kicks like a sonofa....., well, you know. A friend has a .357 mag Scandium "J" frame and tries to buy my stainless gun 3-4 times a year. I should take him up on it, his guns only been shot a few times, and was then put away. I feel a J frame is too small for any level of comfort, except to carry. I wish I still had my old Detective Special.

82nd airborne
10-25-2010, 09:58 PM
1911, but not 3". go at least 4"

KCSO
10-25-2010, 10:14 PM
I carry a Para Ord light weight commander in a Yaqui slide. Super accurate, 100% rellaible and only 28 Oz.

Tom-ADC
10-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Double action only 38 spl had 10 rads thru it and yep its for sale.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/18168454/392901591.jpg

2ndAmendmentNut
10-25-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm a bit puzzled here. You already have a Springfield XD, but feel it's too thick so you're looking at Glocks?. The XD Sub & Glock 26 are nearly identical, dimensionally. Also, you want a pistol that you can use to fight your way to the truck for your real pistol. Personally, I'd keep a Mini 14 with a folding stock in the truck, and learn to manage a full-size 1911 or Commander. Learning to manage the pistol is the real key here. Like most of us, you probably have plenty of suitable handguns. At this time, I'm looking for a 3 in. fixed sight GP100 with the short barrel shroud. With a decent trigger, and a set of compact grips it might just be my nirvana revolver. I already have a S&W 649 in .357 mag & it kicks like a sonofa....., well, you know. A friend has a .357 mag Scandium "J" frame and tries to buy my stainless gun 3-4 times a year. I should take him up on it, his guns only been shot a few times, and was then put away. I feel a J frame is too small for any level of comfort, except to carry. I wish I still had my old Detective Special.

You are right about the Glocks, I must have had a brain fart or something. I do keep and SKS in the truck, but what I guess I am looking for is a small hand gun to ALWAYS have. Seeing as sometimes my GP100 or Kimber get left behind do to the heat.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Double action only 38 spl had 10 rads thru it and yep its for sale.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/18168454/392901591.jpg

Like the look what do you want for it? It's a S&W right? 38+P rated?

DIRT Farmer
10-25-2010, 10:22 PM
I have carried a Walther ppk (showing my age)380 when I wantto be descrete, Looks hicky but bibs and a pair of 1911s. A little bull dukey on your boots and the modern types wont get close enough to tell, heck you could slide an 870 down the leg of the bibs and most wont see it. (been there)

lonewelder
10-25-2010, 10:42 PM
How it fits your hand and how it points first.After that you can work on what works for a carry.I have a good friend who caries a sherrifs mod 45lc with a birdshead grip.He has the belly to hide it,i'm not far behind.I would not feel under gunned with 5-6 shots.If I need more than that I would not put myself in that place.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Yeah j-frames for my "no excuse" gun is looking like the way to go. I have always prefered revolvers anyway. In fact the gun that I actually do carry the most is a Ruger NM Vaquero in 45colt.

lonewelder
10-25-2010, 11:36 PM
keep your eye out for an old colt cobra or S&W air weight

MtGun44
10-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Lightwt Commander length 1911, .45 ACP. Mine is a Colt SS, other brands are available.
Versamax 2 holster, unfortunately on 6 month perpetual BO at Sparks Holsters.

If you want the snubbie .38 Spl - Cobra - put Pachmayer Compac grips on it.

Bill

warf73
10-26-2010, 01:34 AM
someone said it earler CCW isnt a one gun operation. exspecial if you have 4 season were you live. I carry 3 different pistols at any given time of the year. during the winter cooler weather time of year i carry a xd 40, but in the earler fall mid spring i carry a ruger sp101, and during the hot summer months when all i wear is short, ts and shoes i carry a tauras 380.

good luck choosing

cuzinbruce
10-26-2010, 02:23 AM
S&W Centennial - 5 shots - .357

63 Shiloh
10-27-2010, 12:39 AM
A little off topic here fellers, but, what is happening in Texas that makes you want to carry a concealed gun?

I am not being a smartass here, just honestly curious.

I live in Australia so my knowledge of Texas is limited to what I see on TV.

Mike

chaos
10-27-2010, 12:54 AM
A little off topic here fellers, but, what is happening in Texas that makes you want to carry a concealed gun?

I am not being a smartass here, just honestly curious.

I live in Australia so my knowledge of Texas is limited to what I see on TV.

Mike

Very massive influx of ILLEGAL Mexican and South/ Central American immigrants. Nothing has been done about this for MANY years. Now we have Mexican Drug Cartels enjoying the free range into our state and doing harm to our citizens.

Folks just want to protect themselves as any others in this situation.

63 Shiloh
10-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks for that Chaos.

I googled it..........bloody hell!! is all I can say!!!

I would want a concealed gun or two as well, I cannot believe the numbers of illegals flooding across your border!! Absolutely shocking.

Jeez, I thought we had a problem down here, our Govt has 5000 illegal 'refugees' in detention camps at the moment.

Most people want these camps off shore and not on our soil though, its a political issue here at the moment.

However, it is nothing compared to the numbers that the US is suffering.

I just hope your Govt takes some serious action quickly fellers.

Mike

Moonie
10-27-2010, 11:43 AM
They have, the federal government is suing the state that decided to make it illegal to be an illegal immigrant...

WTH is wrong with this picture?

9.3X62AL
10-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Kinda late to the party here, but I'll chime in.

My usual tools for back-country jaunts include a Mini-14 behind the truck seat and either the S&W 686 x 4" or full-sized autopistol of some kind. Caliber is 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm, or 45 ACP. If concealment is an issue, my Glock 23 goes in place of the full-sized sideiron.

The handgun's role in this scenario hasn't changed for many years--that is, a means of immediate response to sudden lethal threats that enables me to fight my way to a rifle or shotgun. A sidearm is only a primary weapon when you haven't the ability or foresight to provide better weaponry. There are sling swivels on long guns for good reasons.

akajun
10-27-2010, 02:34 PM
After 15 years in Law Enforcement and working numerous shootings, I have found myself going smaller and smaller on what guns I carry off duty. I started with a G19, G26, then a J frame, then and probably finally what I have now an LCP. I found that the best gun to carry concealed is the one that is easy enough to carry all the time in all sorts of dress. The larger guns all required a holster of some sort, and either a coat or untucked shirt. The j frame was not too bad, I could put it in a pair of loose pants, but the LCP fits in my pocket of any clothing.

BTW dont get caught up in caliber wars either, I have seen dudes killed with one shot of 22 to the shoulder, and a a dude who got hit 5 times with 45acp hardball, including a head shot, that was standing outside his mothers house the next day on crutches drinking beer and flipping us the bird as we passed. Buy whats comfortable and whats concealable.

Shooter6br
10-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Sig 350 C in 45 acp in a Smart Carry rig. I can and do wear jugging shorts with it. A little weird( look up on net) but works

arjacobson
10-27-2010, 07:51 PM
s&w 642 in right front pocket with a speed strip in back left pocket. You forget you have it with you.

yep!!

arjacobson
10-27-2010, 07:54 PM
smith 642 works great for my ccw. I also have a glock 36 that I don't like to leave home without. I bought a wolf barrel for the 36 as I use a TON of cast 45's for practice,

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Also for those that don't know Texas does NOT have open carry . . . unless your hunting . . .

I still say that a SP101 with the 3 1/16" barrel is small enough to carry, but plenty of power, and the barrel is a good length to deal with recoil . . . (I have Houge's)
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Ruger%20SP101/SP1011.jpg

When I'm out hunting I have a hand gun on either a 357 mag or 44 mag, and either a 12 ga or 22 for the actual hunting of small game in my hands, and then on a sling either a AK47, or Rem 700 in .270 . . . we have too many illegals running around here, I see there trails . . .

It will be hard to wear out a Ruger!

I live less than 50 miles from the border, and they keep coming!

To bad our Fed gov doesn't like our State laws that they would not enforce themselves!

ETA: it is just a smaller GP100! Same size as a "J" frame.

[smilie=s:

rintinglen
10-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Way back at the start of this here ramble, somebody mentioned the Kahr. I have one in 9MM that I think highly of, but for day in and day out, stuck-in-a-pocket reliability, an airweight S&W is hard to beat. The 1911s, Glocks, and other such duty guns are just too big for such applications, fine weapons though they are.
likewise, those fellas suggesting full-sized six shooters just don't seem to realize how hot and sticky it gets down along the Tex-Mex Border. I spent 6 weeks at Brownsville in 78 or 79 during June and July and it was brutal. 99+ with high humidity every day. I rusted the heck out of my old model 36 despite strenous efforts to prevent it. I wanted a Model 60 but there were none to be had, save at scalper's prices.
Get an air weight 38, learn to shoot it well, and it will be a dependable, reliable comfort to you, and it will be there on that hot august afternoon when the world turns to c**p.

Three-Fifty-Seven
11-01-2010, 09:00 PM
So . . . what did you get?

2ndAmendmentNut
11-01-2010, 11:03 PM
So . . . what did you get?

I got a new holster for my XD 9mm sub-compact. My work truck broke down in the middle of nowhere last week and the 10+1 magazine along with the 16rd magazine where very comforting. I even had to whip it out when I flushed a few javelinas but no shots where fired…

However for my no excuses gun I am still in the market for a small j-frame, just have not found any good deals yet…

geargnasher
11-02-2010, 12:49 AM
12-gauge pump in the truck, Smith Airweight in the front pocket, loaded with standard-pressure ammo. Both are stone cold reliable. The best gun to have in a gunfight is the one you happen to have with you. You aren't going to win against 20 drugrunners with fully-automatic weapons and no scruples, but you won't with a 15-shot .40 or a .44 Magnum either. Realistically, the gun you can and do carry everywhere is the gun that will save your life in most situations. Since we're talking Texas concealed-carry for self defense, why would you need sights or sight radius? If you are truly drawing and firing on an immediate threat, you won't have time or need to aim. You're going for minute of ribcage. BTW I can keep all five (again, standard pressure) inside 10" at 15 yards DA in three seconds, you can too if you practice like I did. Deathgrip, front sight, and squeeze like hell-- practice shooting like you're fighting for your life, because if you ever have to use it that's exactly the way it'll be. I'll bet a thousand bucks that anyone who thinks the .38 Special isn't enough gun to stop a two-legged threat won't stand in front of me when I shoot mine.

Gear

{edit} If you break down in the middle of nowhere in Texas and have a shotgun, take it with you. Just observe game law mag capacity and don't point it at anybody.

Combat Diver
11-02-2010, 03:26 AM
I grew up in SA and used to carry a 1911 or CZ75 concealed (own land). Back when I work along side the Border Patrol for JTF6 I carried a Colt lightweight Officers that was 100% and a 1917 Enfield rifle in the truck. Did lots of trips between El Paso and San Antonio then.

Would suggest a few other guns.
Smith K frame, 3" HB, RB or there Night Guard series. SIG just came out with the new 290 which is a small DAO 9mm pocket pistol retail around $540 or so.

My two EDC revolvers when I'm home on the NC coast are a Smith 442 Pro and a NAA mini revolver.

revolvergeek
11-10-2010, 12:36 PM
A S&W 642 or Glock 26 are very hard to go wrong with either way. The 642 is small and light enough that you can carry it just about anything, thus always being armed. The 26 is boringly reliable with jacketed ammo ( I have never started reloading 9mm because I used to be able to buy 50 rnds factory FMJ for $3-5 a box and laid in a stash), easier to shoot than the 642 and holds twice as many rounds, but won't work in a pocket as well.

I have no personal experience with a Glock 36, but the people that I know that have them, love them.