PDA

View Full Version : Wore out another Lee primer pocket cleaner

10-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Another of my Lee primer pocket cleaners has become useless due to the abrasive primer residue which I always remove. While I know the cost is minimal and the tool is very effective- what do others use for this task that is as effective and maybe more durable than the Lee tool?

EMC45
10-22-2010, 09:59 AM
1/8 sheathed cable. Get about a foot and it will last you a lifetime. I cut it to about 2 inch in length and then shave about 3/8 of the sheathing off and use the cable "bristles" to do my cleaning. Even chuck in a drill to hasten the process sometimes.

Artful
10-22-2010, 10:24 AM
EMC45 - nice tip

timkelley
10-22-2010, 11:43 AM
I take the brush from my RCBS primer pocket cleaner and chuck it up in a cordless drill. Set the drill on the bench running at medium speed and a bunch of brass is done quickly.:-D

Bullshop
10-22-2010, 12:12 PM
The little Lee tool can be re- conditioned. There is still lots of life left in them when they first become dull. A good file can restore the sharpe edge. It can be a little tricky lowering the shoulders but not much of a problem. Like any other cutting tool they work best when kept sharp.

bruce drake
10-22-2010, 11:23 PM
I follow Bullshop's advice as a standard practice as keeping my LEE Primer Scraper "sharp" and effective. I primarily run a file over the edges just to keep them square and not rounded.

Bruce

R.C. Hatter
10-22-2010, 11:50 PM
:coffeecom I've had a dental tool which had been broken off, and I reground the
broken edge to an angled screwdriver shape for over 40 years. The reshaped point
cleans the primer residue from the pocket quickly, and has held its sharpness well.
I own RCBS primer brushes and use them at times, but prefer the old dental tool.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Take a section of hacksaw blade, new or old, any length you like and shape the end to copy the shape of the Lee tool...one end for the small primer pocket and the other end for the large. Wrap the blade with some electrical tape to protect your hand and you're set for life. Hacksaw blade steel is very hard and wear is nil. If it does get dull or shows wear it is easily touched up/reground. LLS

noylj
10-23-2010, 02:22 AM
I solve the problem by not cleaning the pockets. Works great and never wears out.

dudel
10-23-2010, 09:01 AM
1/8 sheathed cable. Get about a foot and it will last you a lifetime. I cut it to about 2 inch in length and then shave about 3/8 of the sheathing off and use the cable "bristles" to do my cleaning. Even chuck in a drill to hasten the process sometimes.

Nice tip.

I use the Hornady cleaners. No brushes; but they do a good job and have lasted 20+ years.

NVcurmudgeon
10-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Mash the mouth end of a rifle cartridge case in the vise or with a hammer. File of the sides of the mashed end until the part in the middle will enter the pocket. Bend the two "blades" left slightly apart so that both are working. (An old tip from Handloader from the days when it WAS Handloader.

joatmon
10-23-2010, 08:15 PM
I use screwdriver tips that slip in a handle, find one that just slips in the pocket.
Sometimes I chuck it in a drill.
Aaron