PDA

View Full Version : Homemade powder measure stands

tonyb
10-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Can anyone post some pics of some they have made. Need some ideas on designs, get me going.
Thanks tonyb

Lloyd Smale
10-22-2010, 06:23 AM
heres one i made for the horndady measure. It would work with any measure though if you bought a lock and load bushing. THe lock and load bushing inserts use standard pipe threads so a cut off pipe nipple works find to screw the insert into. The inserts are available for converting normal presses to lock and load capabilitys and i think midway has them. Its much handier then having to thread a measure on and off the stand when your not using it or in my case when i want to keep a measure set in a powder charge and swap on another.

Lloyd Smale
10-22-2010, 06:25 AM
heres another i made that will hold three for my progressive presses. the reason the inserts are tilted is at that time i still hadnt got the lock and load inserts for it.

justingrosche
10-22-2010, 06:37 AM
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/steelwkr/th_uniflowstands.jpg (http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/steelwkr/?action=view&current=uniflowstands.jpg)
Here are the ones I make.

Bret4207
10-22-2010, 07:08 AM
I currently have a Redding BR and Lyman 55 attached to a piece of 1x6 screwed to a short piece of 6x6. Not fancy, but it works.

calaloo
10-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Take a piece of 1 1/4 X 1/4 hotrolled flatbar. Drill a 7/8 hole near one end. Bend this end close to but not quite 90 degrees. Make the stand as tall as you like and bend the other end in the opposite direction as the first. Make the two bends parallel. Screw the bottom bend to a small piece of wood and clamp it to your bench or screw it directly to the bench. "Piece of cake", takes just a few minutes and is cheap.

tonyb
10-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Take a piece of 1 1/4 X 1/4 hotrolled flatbar. Drill a 7/8 hole near one end. Bend this end close to but not quite 90 degrees. Make the stand as tall as you like and bend the other end in the opposite direction as the first. Make the two bends parallel. Screw the bottom bend to a small piece of wood and clamp it to your bench or screw it directly to the bench. "Piece of cake", takes just a few minutes and is cheap.

That is one I was thinking about too. I have a Hornady pistol measure and that's all the stand is. Lloyd, Justin those are great looking stands thanks for the pics.

GP100man
10-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Here`s 1 I cobbled up from what I had , a 7/8x14 nut (from a 3 point hitch ) a little angle & a little flatstock, the 1 with the uniflo .

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/Herters.jpg

1hole
10-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Hey GP, you are the only other guy I know with an old Herter's scale! Mine's 40-45 years old and still works fine. Your Herter's measure and stand looks good too.

fatelk
10-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Here are a couple I made. I don't have a lot of room for reloading anymore, so everything has to be portable. Even my old Rockchucker is mounted to an oak board so I can C-clamp it to the counter when I use it.

hoosierlogger
10-23-2010, 06:37 PM
I have mine clamped to the charge bar on one of my Mec 600 JR shotgun presses. Works great, and was already bolted to the table..

UNIQUEDOT
10-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Here`s 1 I cobbled up from what I had , a 7/8x14 nut (from a 3 point hitch ) a little angle & a little flatstock, the 1 with the uniflo .

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/Herters.jpg

I just wonder how many rounds that press has loaded? That thing looks like it has stood the test of time!

Mal Paso
10-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Mine had to be movable as my bench is small. Two 4" steel disks 1/4" thick, scrap from another project, were welded together for a heavy base. A piece of 1 1/2 x 1/4" steel strap was drilled and tapped for the powder measure, bent into a c shape and welded to the base.

Hardcast416taylor
10-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Being a retired plumber, I just started soldering elbows to short pieces of copper pipe and added a 7/8 x 14 nut brazed to a bolt and brazed to the copper top arm. I added a wall flange to the bottom and screwed a board to that for a "C" clamp.Robert

GP100man
10-25-2010, 07:40 PM
I collect old reloadin stuff ,but some gets used !!!The Herters powder measure is the only 1 that H-110 will not bind up or leak out of !!!! It`s set on 15.5 gr I think !!!

The old scales work good to , ya learn to help it settle with ya finger!!!!

I obtained the press from my cuz , out building leaked on it , it`s only a `74 model !!!

tonyb
10-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Mine had to be movable as my bench is small. Two 4" steel disks 1/4" thick, scrap from another project, were welded together for a heavy base. A piece of 1 1/2 x 1/4" steel strap was drilled and tapped for the powder measure, bent into a c shape and welded to the base.

It looks like a piece of art. Nice work.

Hawk
10-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Here is my portable

Hawk
10-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Sorry my pic did not show up

AZ-JIM
10-26-2010, 10:21 PM
I made one for my Lyman #55, it is 2" x 3/8" thick aluminum bar. I bought 2 pcs. 12'' long at the local metal distributor for around $5 and this is what I ended up with. I work in a pretty nice fab shop with all the goodies, that is how I got the bend in the riser and did the welding. As sure as someone will ask, the explanation for the vise-grips is; they are temporary, my bench is still a work in process and as soon as I am sure everything is where I want it I will bolt it down...I'm almost there and will post pics when I get it done.

Shiloh
10-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Nice stuff guys!! Thanks for the suggestions!!

Shiloh

GP100man
10-27-2010, 05:10 PM
AZ Jim

Look at the pics in post 12 ,the placement of my powder throwers in relation to the loe RC press , I think I moved em 3 times !!!LOL

SgtDog0311
09-06-2015, 04:23 PM
Just got a Lyman #55. Wanted to add it to the bench for a dedicated Black powder throw. Looking for good ideas and keyed in a search. Should have known this would be my first hit. Thanks gentlemen. Good ideas!

Mine has a 24" drop tube so just need to incorporate some height into the stand as well as a little adjustment (possibly enough at the lock nut) so different length cases can fit snug inside the beveled end of the drop tube.

One thing I found with the drop tube is that the beveled at the end fits larger cases only. A .45 and .40 caliber case fit nice against the beveled for a spill free drop from the tube. A 38-55 goes all the way to the narrowest part of the bevel for a less than optimal drop and the 32-40 slips all the way inside. You'd have to fit a funnel over that case and that would defeat the purpose of the drop tube.

Patrick56
09-07-2015, 02:48 AM
Just got a Lyman #55. Wanted to add it to the bench for a dedicated Black powder throw. Looking for good ideas and keyed in a search. Should have known this would be my first hit. Thanks gentlemen. Good ideas!

Mine has a 24" drop tube so just need to incorporate some height into the stand as well as a little adjustment (possibly enough at the lock nut) so different length cases can fit snug inside the beveled end of the drop tube.

One thing I found with the drop tube is that the beveled at the end fits larger cases only. A .45 and .40 caliber case fit nice against the beveled for a spill free drop from the tube. A 38-55 goes all the way to the narrowest part of the bevel for a less than optimal drop and the 32-40 slips all the way inside. You'd have to fit a funnel over that case and that would defeat the purpose of the drop tube.
Do you really need that drop tube?:?:

daboone
09-07-2015, 07:24 AM
This is just a piece of flat bar bolted to an existing shelf. It supports several type of PM. Any PM can easily be moved to the forefront position.

kbstenberg
09-07-2015, 07:33 AM
Hay 1Hole just hold your horses. You aren't the only 2 to be using old Herters scales. Mine is a newer model. But its been in use (OH my gosh) since the mid 60s

SgtDog0311
09-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Drop Tube??? I'm just starting down the Black Powder path for three calibers. My understanding is they are used by most BP loaders/shooters. Have several friends who are many steps ahead of me on that path and that is the way they are set up. So far loading for about 15 calibers in smokeless I'm well set up there without any need for a drop tube. But this one will be dedicated to BP.

Clark
09-08-2015, 08:03 PM
This one is Aluminum alloy.
It uses a piece of 7/8-14 threaded rod and a die ring to mount it to a board.

The threaded rod has been cut into a bolt shape so I can screw it in and out of a board.