PDA

View Full Version : 10mm loads - maximum display

chickenstripe
10-21-2010, 02:59 PM
OK, I'm looking for some first hand experience on 10mm loads.

I'm looking for a powder that gives maximum flash and concussion for a 10mm.

Bizarre request I know, as people are usually looking for the oposite end of the spectrum.

donjose
10-21-2010, 03:39 PM
I am also starting to load my 10mm as well, here is a good link for some heavy load 10mm Glock info
www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1258873

Jason

thegreatdane
10-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Blue Dot delivers a bright blue/white flash with decent concussion and Power Pistol throws a pointed white/yellow flash with a sharper concussion. They're both "wow" loads and are fun for that purpose. Basically any powder that's still burning when the bullet exits the barrel will produce a sweet flash.

Blue Dot:
-big, sloppy, blue/white flame
-more of a bassy "boooom"

Power Pistol:
-slightly smaller, more crisp, yellow/white/orange flame
-impressive "bang"

See video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF0Tb6PwWV4

On the other end of the spectrum, AA#7 seems to have the least muzzle flash for comparable slower-burning powders with max velocity.

35remington
10-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Muzzle flash does not come from unconsumed powder that's "still burning." It's the gasses that flash.

Should powder still be burning and not converted to its gaseous state, it would look like streaks. Muzzle flash looks like a gas cloud that's ignited because that's exactly what it is. Pistol powder of this burn speed is virtually completely consumed when the bullet exits the muzzle, in terms of it converting from the solid powder state to a gas.

Second the Power Pistol. Extra blasty, and makes average loads seem more powerful than they are.

One reason I'm not as enamored of it as some others are.

leftiye
10-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Maybe some "Loudshot" (er, Longshot). It got that nickname fer some reason.

S.R.Custom
10-22-2010, 10:40 PM
A light bullet and lots of AA#7 will light a room up quite nicely.

ebner glocken
10-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Producing extreme blast and flash has never been a goal of mine. For full tilt loads in 10mm in a glock 20 800x has been my go to powder. On the down side the **** meters like gravel. A really good bullet is the 200 xtp hornady.

Ebner

dpaqu
10-25-2010, 07:13 PM
I've shot a lot of longshot from 4" .40 s&w guns and it's loud but not crazy. louder than Clays my usual practice powder. I wonder how much velocity I'm giving up to the 10mm with 180 gr projectiles.

MakeMineA10mm
10-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Blue Dot delivers a bright blue/white flash with decent concussion and Power Pistol throws a pointed white/yellow flash with a sharper concussion. They're both "wow" loads and are fun for that purpose. Basically any powder that's still burning when the bullet exits the barrel will produce a sweet flash.

Blue Dot:
-big, sloppy, blue/white flame
-more of a bassy "boooom"

Power Pistol:
-slightly smaller, more crisp, yellow/white/orange flame
-impressive "bang"

See video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF0Tb6PwWV4

On the other end of the spectrum, AA#7 seems to have the least muzzle flash for comparable slower-burning powders with max velocity.

Great advice. Covers it completely. Blue dot is what you seek.