PDA

View Full Version : Roof Flashing SCORE !

Papa Jack
10-21-2010, 01:16 PM
I just had a new chimney for a wood stove installed. The roofer came over yesterday to patch around the chimney ( I had a false wooden chimney before and it leaked so I removed it ) We got to BS'n about guns, he has black powder flinklocks and hunts when he has time.
I asked if he ever runs into any lead roof flashings, he says YEA, all the time !! Infact the house he just finished today had about 40-50 lbs... I asked him what he did with it, if he kept it for his B/P guns? No, he's got plenty, he said the home owner kept todays lead for fishing weights. But he said If I wanted lead, he'd save it for me....
His father in law also shoots B/P and he cast up a bucket full of balls so they don't need any more for a while...
So it pays to "Network" when your looking for stuff, like lead, guns, and car parts...You know, important stuff..... "PJ"

littlejack
10-21-2010, 03:01 PM
PJ, I've been going to call a few of the local roofing co's and ask about that flashing myself.
Sound like you have a good source now.
By the way, where bouts you at in Orygun? I'm down here in Eugene.
Jack
PS, I'm called PJ by my GKs.

lwknight
10-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Scrapyards pay 50 cents or more for lead most places.
You should offer the roofers some $$ to make a faithful supplier of them.
Roofing lead is clean lead without uncertain strange contaminants that you can alloy to your desired recipe.

Papa Jack
10-22-2010, 02:24 AM
PJ, I've been going to call a few of the local roofing co's and ask about that flashing myself.
Sound like you have a good source now.
By the way, where bouts you at in Orygun? I'm down here in Eugene.
Jack
PS, I'm called PJ by my GKs.

I'm in Washington County, Forest Grove.....
I suppose Eugene is upside down tonight after the FB game....I get to Eugene every now and then, usually just driving thru.
I was surprised to find out that the roofers still use a lot of lead flashings, he told me the pipe flashings are over $40.00 a piece these days.
"Papa Jack "

Papa Jack
10-22-2010, 02:26 AM
Scrapyards pay 50 cents or more for lead most places.
You should offer the roofers some $$ to make a faithful supplier of them.
Roofing lead is clean lead without uncertain strange contaminants that you can alloy to your desired recipe.

I'm going to have to get a little fast cash box going so I can pay up when they come by with the lead... Maybe I need to liquidate some of my junk to support my lead addiction.
"PJ"

littlejack
10-22-2010, 12:30 PM
PJ, glad to have you aboard.
Jack