PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions:

zorro 5858
10-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Have been shooting difference loads and bullets in my 50 cal. hawken carbine made by investarm made in italy. when loading it has a tight fit almost half way down then it can be push rest of way with one finger. I have shot three shots without cleaning and also three shots with cleaning between shots. At twenty five yards it does not shoot a good group at all 2 or 4 inch. The rear sight is tight have r. sight moved to left as far as it will go. Also raise up almost as far as it will go. Shooting B. P. T F. There was a post about putting a rear peep sight and made a difference. Will try again if does not shoot good it goes down tge road. Thanks for advice on this. Zorro

missionary5155
10-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Greetings Zorro
It is a normal practice with rifled muzzleloaders to have the muzzle area tighter and further down the barrel a shade looser to aid in loader especially a fouled barrel.
I am not sure if you are using Round ball or other projectiles.
AS you do not list any loads I would recommend you try various powder charges.
All my muzzle loaders have respective "Favorite" charges. There are barrrel vibrations involved with all firearms .

10-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Tough one to make a sure enough guess on but some bores do that. That group size and the off center sight setting is troubling though.

Depends also if you are shooting patched RB or conical. With the RB then it is either a bore constriction or it is powder fouling build-up. With the conical it can be a bore constriction, powder fouling build-up and/or leading. Many new MLs require break-in as the bores can be pretty rough. A few shots with some lapping compound on a patched RB can speed the break-in process but shouldn't be taken too far.

Back to the troubling part. It's not common but it does happen where either the barrel is bent or the bore has run-out. Either condition can wreak havoc with accuracy and can account for the way off center sight setting. Hope it's not that but just bringing it up because it is possible.

mooman76
10-21-2010, 11:45 PM
It is common when loading a ML that the load loosens up after it get part way down the barrel. Someone else here recently was having accuracy troubles and switched lubes and it made all the difference in the world. The patch can too. Try some different lubes and patch. Some MLs don't neccissarily have to be super tight to shoot well. More information on your loads would be helpful also i.e. lube. patch and so on.

qajaq59
10-22-2010, 08:57 AM
My ML is picky. There are a couple of load, patch, and lube combinations that work and that's it. Try a bunch of different combos and see it that helps. Change one thing at a time and keep notes. Once you start getting good groups then you can start on the sights. It's going to take some serious patience if it is anything like mine. But you'll get there.

Hanshi
10-22-2010, 12:15 PM
If the bore has been pristine cleaned then trying various loads may work. Try 0000 steel wool swabbing then clean normally. Sights are easy to switch out in most guns. I think you will find success with a prb load.