PDA

View Full Version : large ring, small shank model 98

rtracy2001
10-20-2010, 11:37 PM
I have a line on a couple of cheap turkish mausers in 8x57. I already have a K98 in that caliber, but as my research indicates, the Turks used mauser 98 actions, so for about $75 apiece the actions alone could be a good buy for a couple of projects. Now the problem. the Turks use large ring mauser actions with the small ring barrel threads, so a standard replacement barrel for the model 98 won't fit. I have read that you can machine down the threads on the replacement barrel, find a small ring barrel, or some even say that the Remington 700 barrel can be re-worked to fit.

The question:

Since the action is a large ring action, and the thread pitch is the same, couldn't the receiver threads be enlarged enough to accept a standard barrel? Once re threadded, it becomes a mater of facing the action, installing a short chamber barrel and then reaming to headspace correctly.

Bret4207
10-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Not all the Turks are large ring, small shank, or so they say. You'll need to check your particular actions. The other problem is that it's a whole heck of a lot easier to set a barrel up to thread than an action. I imagine you could recut the action for large shank okay, but is it economically feasible?

skeet1
10-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Why not just get a small ring barrel? Midway sells them in several calibers.

Skeet1

rtracy2001
10-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Why not just get a small ring barrel? Midway sells them in several calibers.

Skeet1

I did not see one in 308, I might have missed it, but...

I checked with my regular smith today and he said it would only be about $50 to work the threads on the barrel, or I can buy a regular large ring action for about $125. in short the cost of the Turk ($75) plus re-threading the barrel ($50) is the same as buying a regular action. (The barrel will cost the same regardless) Tough choice.

izzyjoe
10-21-2010, 10:25 PM
those turks are good actions, but everybody has caught on. cause them things have gone up, and disapered fast. not to long ago you could buy one for $40. i bought quite a few of them, sold most of them but keep two that i built, and they are shooters. i had one with a walnut stock, and i swapped the barrel for a 7x57. and a good friend talked me out of that one, wish i'd kept it. :-(

codgerville@zianet.com
10-21-2010, 11:35 PM
I have modified two or three large thread, short chambered barrels to fit the Turk small thread action. There is just enough material there to turn down the large threads and clean up. Took about 45 minutes on the lathe. Opening up the threads in the receiver would take quite a bit longer. Hope this helps.