PDA

View Full Version : Model 71 sights

Leadslinger
09-26-2006, 03:02 AM
Were the model 71 Winchesters factory drilled and tapped on the side for receiver sights like I see on many of them for sale? I know some came with apertures on the bolt and some have a regular sight on the barrel. There are a couple for sale on gunsamerica.com and they have the receiver sight mounted. I would rather have the bolt peep and not have one that has been altered. Thanks.

Beau Cassidy
09-26-2006, 06:49 AM
I like my 71 with the bolt peep much better than the one with the Lyman. I tend to get better overall groups with the bolt peep. It is a "finer" sight. While the lyman is more common, the bolt peep costs a lot more.

Beau

Dutch4122
09-26-2006, 08:02 AM
I have a Winchester M71 Standard Rifle with iron sights on the barrel. It has a 4 digit serial # and a search in the serial # listings in "The Legacy of Leverguns" indicates it was made in 1936. This rifle is not factory D&T'd for receiver sites on the side of the receiver. According to what I have been told a number of the early M71's were not factory D&T'd for receiver sights (Lyman, Williams, etc.) during the first 2 years of production.

If you are considering a purchase of one of the guns with an after market receiver site you should probably verify that the rifle or carbine has a 5 digit serial number to ensure that it has been un-altered.

Hope this helps,

Leadslinger
09-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am a very long way from affording one but you have to start somewhere.

Lloyd Smale
09-27-2006, 05:16 AM
I believe Dave Clements is making an exact replica of the bolt mounted peep.

Sky C.
09-27-2006, 06:38 PM
My understanding is that in the early years - the M-71's were not D&T for receiver sights. However when production restarted in 1946 (following WWII) they were.

Info above per G. Maddis Winchester Handbook.

Best regards-

Sky C.

Leadslinger
09-30-2006, 12:52 AM
Thanks to all who replied.