PDA

View Full Version : Hurry, hurry, hurry!

Charlie Two Tracks
10-20-2010, 08:57 PM
I get so mad at myself. I always want to hurry and get stuff set up for casting or when I am reloading I start off like the bad guys were at the front door and I had to get some boolits ready! I don't know why but I have a time of it trying to slow down and take my time. I have a whole bunch of rounds loaded up but each time I start to reload, I have to get myself slowed down. I don't know why I think there is a hurry but I guess that's the way most of my life is and I have to get slooowed down when casting or reloading.:popcorn:

Jack Stanley
10-20-2010, 09:07 PM
I know the feeling CTT ! and to slow myself down I have bought gang molds wherever possible . I've found it hard to get in a rush to cast more when I have forty pounds of what I want already cast . For me it's a simple matter of looking to see which ones are getting low and top off the bins . I start thinking about loading ammo when I pull the next to the last thirty caliber ammo can off the shelf ;-)

I am resisting the urge to buy a gang mold for hollowpoints since I don't use a lot of them anyway :D

Jack

44man
10-21-2010, 08:43 AM
When you fellas get to be an old codger like me, you will look down at the empty boolit boxes and say "I need to cast", then do something else! [smilie=s:

45 2.1
10-21-2010, 09:00 AM
When you fellas get to be an old codger like me, you will look down at the empty boolit boxes and say "I need to cast", then do something else! [smilie=s:

Ain't that the truth.............:shock:

mold maker
10-21-2010, 09:08 AM

You need to add "when I get around to it", in the quote.
So much to do and so little time, since I retired. How did I ever get anything done and work too?

qajaq59
10-21-2010, 10:22 AM
44man you beat me to it. LOL

Moonie
10-21-2010, 10:22 AM
I know the feeling about doing other things. I am currently out (ok, almost out, less than 50) 45 boolits. Last night I built my new 6.8 SPC upper and cleaned the 5.56 upper and my 45.

Seriously?? Cleaned guns instead of cast?!?! Obviously I'm doing it wrong...

Building the upper I can understand, I guess the difference is the wife is out of town for a few days, I can cast out in my man cave when she is home, she doesn't care for the smell when I'm cleaning the guns and the man cave isn't setup for gun cleaning.

But I do have to say Eds Red smells better than most solvents.

mpmarty
10-21-2010, 03:27 PM
When I find the time (I'm retired too) to cast I prolong it as long as possible and hurry isn't in my bag of tricks at all. I just sized, primed and belled 150 45/70 cases and I'll get them stuffed with powder and boolit soon. I prime one at a time on a ram prime by LEE. It is slow but is really does a nice job of seating those primers. I'm gonna try about 45gr of 3031 under the 450 gr gas check boolit and see how they fly.

Von Gruff
10-21-2010, 03:38 PM
I started of as a boy working flat out trying to keep up with my father, whether it was digging postholes or stacking firewood. It led to a lifetime of working at top revs and now that I am forceably retired I have at last learned to slow down a bit (pain is a great teacher) Have had to adapt my shooting style but have begun to enjoy the leasurely casting, handloading, shooting, cleaning, and just playing with my "gun stuff". I dont wear a watch now and things get done when they get done.

Von Gruff.

qajaq59
10-21-2010, 04:36 PM
I have at last learned to slow down a bit (pain is a great teacher) Amen to that Von Gruff. Before the arthritis got into my spine I only had 2 speeds. Full blast and dead stop. Now I have to pace everything out. I'll only cast or load maybe 100 - 200 rifle bullets at a time. But being retired, I can do it every other day, so I'm always well ahead of what I'm can shoot.

waksupi
10-21-2010, 06:33 PM
This reminds me of a guy at the shoot last weekend. He said he has two speeds. And if we didn't like the one he was using, we were going to hate the other one.

XWrench3
10-21-2010, 07:29 PM
i have just the oppsosit problem, i have a hard time getting going. even after a whole POT of coffee! :coffeecom of course, even with that, i am having a hard time. now it takes me all day, to drink the pot. so by the time i get to doing something, it is time for bed! and then i have so much caffien in my system, i cant sleep. i just finished my last cup of coffee. i am going to quit, cold turkey. this is just rediculous. tomorrow morning, i am going to take a caffeien pill with some mountain dew. then, maybe i can get enough get up and go before the day is done. :hijack: sorry about hijacking the thread.

qajaq59
10-21-2010, 08:26 PM
This reminds me of a guy at the shoot last weekend. He said he has two speeds. And if we didn't like the one he was using, we were going to hate the other one. Oh, I just have to remember to use that one. :mrgreen:

casterofboolits
10-22-2010, 08:14 AM
i have just the oppsosit problem, i have a hard time getting going. even after a whole POT of coffee! :coffeecom of course, even with that, i am having a hard time. now it takes me all day, to drink the pot. so by the time i get to doing something, it is time for bed! and then i have so much caffien in my system, i cant sleep. i just finished my last cup of coffee. i am going to quit, cold turkey. this is just rediculous. tomorrow morning, i am going to take a caffeien pill with some mountain dew. then, maybe i can get enough get up and go before the day is done. :hijack: sorry about hijacking the thread.

Been there, done that, got the cottonpickin' T-shirt. :bigsmyl2: But, coffee doesn't affect my sleep, I can finish a big cup and go straight to sleep! [smilie=l:

Char-Gar
10-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Well, your Grandmother said it..."Haste makes waste.". Folks with your type of personality also go to an early grave with strokes, heart attacks and so on. You can learn to ratchet down the impluse to go full speed everywhere and every time. It really is important that you take this issue seriously.

I am not trying to be abusive or an alarmist. You were honest enough to lay this out there and that lets me know it is an issue that concerns you. There are many "Type A" personalities like you and unlessed controled lead to early death. They do get allot gone, but at a tremendous cost.

Take care and God bless.

DIRT Farmer
10-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Right on Charger, I had to get my farming done help the neighbors, put in my 72 hours on the bo'lance and help out at the PD, go to kids ball games be a leader at the 4-H club, then open heart at 51, and no full time work.
+1 Van Gruff, the world is a better place with out a watch. Been two years since mine quit. Stopping looking at my wrist was harder than quiting smoking.

Freightman
10-22-2010, 03:42 PM
This reminds me of a guy at the shoot last weekend. He said he has two speeds. And if we didn't like the one he was using, we were going to hate the other one.
Had a dock foreman in my face and told him that thought he was going to explode, this was forty years ago.

ghh3rd
10-23-2010, 12:36 AM
When you fellas get to be an old codger like me, you will look down at the empty boolit boxes and say "I need to cast", then do something else!

I see the empty boxes, and know I'm going to the range on Sunday, and procrastinate... and on Saturday afternoon, it's hurry, hurry, hurry, cast, size/lube, get the brass prepped, slow down to measure the powder, hurry up and seat the boolits. Repeat the following weekend.

Crash_Corrigan
10-23-2010, 04:02 AM
I finally retired from everything during the summer of '07. My watch battery died in the fall. At first I was always looking at my wrist and missing the watch. Time went by. I missed it less and less.

Finally last month I got around to replacing the battery on the watch. It ran like ****. I brought it back to the place where they had replaced the battery and they told me that the old battery had corroded and damaged the movement.

Another 45 bucks to spend and another weeks wait. Now I have the watch back. Big deal. I seldom look at it. I had gotten out of the habit of looking at it and whenever I do remember to look at it I pretty much already know the correct time anyway within 15 mins or so.

Yup, retired is a good life but time has little meaning anymore. I am no longer in a rush and I do spend it doing what I want to do, when I want to do it and I set myself very liberal deadlines to get things done.

qajaq59
10-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Being retired takes the "hurry" out of most everything. Especially if you assign days to do things. I shoot on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Then I load, cast, hunt, or play on the rest.
It's a tough life, but someone has to do it! :bigsmyl2:

44man
10-23-2010, 08:59 AM
I hate a watch! [smilie=b: Had to keep track of every minute at work to be at the gate when the next flight was due. Then spent the rest of the day staring at the clocks wishing for quitting time.
I wear one once a year now when on deer stand in the morning so we all leave together. I don't wear it at evening hunts, dark is a better clock.
I only know the day of the week when the wife says it's garbage day!

snuffy
10-23-2010, 12:55 PM
When I worked in a gunshop this time of the year, the boss would say, "ya got to put the belt on the big pulley now". That meant the seasonal rush was about to start, work more efficiently.

I'm a little over a year from retirement, can't wait to NOT have a set time to do everything. I can procrastinate as good as the next fellow, will have to overcome that when I have time.

Casting and reloading are relaxing to me. I seldom "have to get something done", so I stay until it's finished or I have to do something else. I hurried once, way back in 1972, first time loading .357, or for that matter ANY handgun shell. Didn't notice the wire weight on a Hornady scale was on 10 instead of zero. Loaded 16.0 grains of WW-540-HS 6 under a 158 swaged lead bullet. The Ruger blackhawk is a strong gun, but it blew the cylinder anyway! No injuries, but the revolver was a toal loss. Ruger replaced it at cost! Shame, it was a convertible 9mm/.357, the replacement didn't have a 9mm cylinder. Still have it, it's due for a re-build.

montana_charlie
10-23-2010, 01:57 PM
I was always a 'git 'er done' guy who sometimes got bit by working too fast...and overlooking something. That meant I had to concentrate harder or slow down, so I concentrated more.
All of that worked well as long as I was doing a job for some employer. At worst I might get chewed out for sitting on my hands on those occasions when I got done before quitting time.

But that rythmn of living does not work when dealing with livestock. Try to move too fast and you will experience 'adventures' you are better off without. Being determined to succeed with cattle, I was forced to change.
So, I have learned to approach life with a calm and confident attitude...and even my non-livestock jobs work out better.

CM

Von Gruff
10-23-2010, 04:08 PM
But that rythmn of living does not work when dealing with livestock. Try to move too fast and you will experience 'adventures' you are better off without. Being determined to succeed with cattle, I was forced to change.

CM

You got that right. I grew up on a farm and was on high country stock work for a couple of years after school before I wised up to the meagre income that bought in.

Von Gruff.

Tazman1602
10-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Man I ladle cast for years then last winter bought a bottom pour pot thinking I was going to really produce some bullets. I hated that thing but learned how to use it.

Problem is I cast for fun, not for production and have found that I ENJOY ladle casting and taking my time on rainy afternoons, etc from my little Lyman and Lee pots.

I still use the bottom pour if I need to crank out a bunch of handgun bullets to go shoot, but I much more enjoy just taking my time and having FUN..........

Hey to each his own, eh?

Art

bbs70
10-24-2010, 09:40 AM
I worked in a foundry for 28 years, 12 of those years I was a hot metal crane operator.
Weekends, holidays, shift work, 7 on 1 1/2 days off.

Hurry hurry hurry was all I ever heard.
Being one who wanted to give my wife and kids a good life I put up with the hurry up stuff.
A dead run from the time I started till the time I got off work.
Took caffiene pills and coffee to keep up.

I made good money and my family and I benefited from it, at least I did when I had a day off.
What I got out of it was high blood pressure, irritablity, no patience, grumpy, and couldn't slow down on my little time off.

Since I have a different job now it took a while for me to learn to slow down.

At 63 years old I look back and think "What the hell was I thinking".
I take things a little easier now and get things done around home when I get to it.
I often feel like I'm getting lazy ( I have a low tolerence for lazy), but I'm a little happier.
Still get carried away once in a while.:mrgreen:

Hurry up OR concentrate on the job tooo hard.
Either way you screw up.
Concentrate too hard and you miss the obvious.
Hurry up and you get going too fast and miss the obvious.

"The hurrier I go the behinder I get":bigsmyl2:

qajaq59
10-24-2010, 10:20 AM
The first year I was retired I stopped wearing a watch because I had always worked against the clock. And I wouldn't answer a phone because in the office every phone call was a problem to solve. Best decisions I ever made. I actually learned how to relax.

Leadmelter
10-25-2010, 07:49 PM
I just got back into casting after the prices people are charging for boolits. 18 cents a trigger pull, plus primer and powder. Crazy.
Not yet retired but getting there. I always remember an old tale a friend of mine Dad told when I was 19.

Two bulls on a hill spied a herd of heifers in the valley. The young bull said, " Let's run down there and get us one."
The old bull looked at him and said' "Let's walk down there and get them all".
Pace is everything. Planning is for some.

When my wife was diagnosed with Breast cancer, I saw a sign in front of a church:
"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans."

Gerry
MI

RP
10-25-2010, 08:12 PM
I work on the time clock of the world planning due dates working to meet those dates calling others to make the dates happen, Boss told me just because I take a break the entire world keeps turning it dont wait for anyone. So when I make it out to my shop I turn on the radio and just do what ever I want not any any hurry at all. Its my relax forget about the bills the jobsites and the subs that have not got done on time.

mold maker
10-25-2010, 08:26 PM
It's been over 3 years since I was put out to pasture, but I still get up at 5:00 and get the grand kids fed and to school by 8:00. Evenings I pick them up and we get to have a snack before returning home. That schedule messes up the day, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
I still wear a watch, cause it reminds me when 2:15 comes, to get to the school house on time.
I still have to watch the time if we're going anywhere cause SWMBO would be late for her own funeral.
The rest of the time I couldn't care less what time it is. My stomach and my eyelids are all I need.