PDA

View Full Version : Ohaus Mold Handles

GP100man
09-26-2006, 12:00 AM
FRIEND HAS MOLD BUT NO HANDLES, ISNT OHAUS THE SAME AS RCBS HANDLES & HOW OLD IS THIS MOLD ?FIRST ONE IVE EVER HEARD OF.:castmine:

montana_charlie
09-26-2006, 01:10 PM
I believe Lyman took over most of the old Ohaus stuff...although the Ohaus 10-10 powder scale is now marketed by RCBS. Lyman handles will probably fit an Ohaus mould, properly. RCBS handles will also work, but might fit a bit loose.
CM

NVcurmudgeon
09-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Ohaus made moulds for a short time in the late sixties-early seventies. I have one of their .30-190 moulds purchased c. 1973. My Ohaus mould is now loaned out and I can't remember whether it uses Lyman or RCBS handles.

kywoodwrkr
09-26-2006, 03:22 PM
I recently sold a DC Ohaus mold here on the WTS board.
They were identical to Lyman moulds.
Early Lacmiller moulds look exactly like RCBS moulds to my eyes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/Kywoodwrkr/38-148Ohaus.jpg

Above mould was marked Ohaus on one corner.
FWIW
DaveP kywoodwrkr

C1PNR
09-26-2006, 05:36 PM
I thought RCBS got their start in moulds by buying Ohaus. But I'm anything but certain about that. I will say the 10-10 I have was made by, and marked, Ohaus. My Brother also has one of their premium triple beam scales - which he refuses to sell to me.:roll:

As an aside, did Ohaus make the Thompson Center aluminum block moulds back in the old days? I've got a T/C marked .530 round ball mould that came (I think) with my .54 Renegade many years ago.

Lloyd Smale
09-26-2006, 05:39 PM
rcbs should fit it either way. They fit lymans and rcbs molds.

StarMetal
09-26-2006, 07:21 PM
I thought RCBS got their start in moulds by buying Ohaus. But I'm anything but certain about that. I will say the 10-10 I have was made by, and marked, Ohaus. My Brother also has one of their premium triple beam scales - which he refuses to sell to me.:roll:

As an aside, did Ohaus make the Thompson Center aluminum block moulds back in the old days? I've got a T/C marked .530 round ball mould that came (I think) with my .54 Renegade many years ago.

C1PNR,

I bought a TC hawkens kit in the early 70's. I bought the TC Maxi-ball mould also. It was in a TC marked box, but it was made by Lyman because that's marked on it also.

Joe

James Wisner
09-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Lachmiller handles are .250 thick in the tong area.

RCBS handles are .290 thick in the tong area.

Lyman SC, DC, handles are .310 thick in the tong area.
Lyman 4 cavity handles are .250 thick in the tong area, BUT since the Lyman block is wider the handles will not close far enough to function properly with a Lachmiller mould.

The one Hensley and Gibbs mould I have has a .250 wide tong slot. The moulds I have seen on eBay. The H&G handles look like the Lachmiller handles as they both have a different overall shape to them than the RCBS handles.

The Lyman handles should function properly with the Ohaus mould.

I hope this helps.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

RayinNH
09-26-2006, 10:10 PM
I just got done casting about 20 minutes ago. I was using Ohaus handles on the Lyman 311291 DC. So I would say you could do the reverse and use Lyman handles on the Ohaus mould...Ray

GP100man
09-27-2006, 08:16 PM
thanks fellas alot of info on old mold companys & the way they changed hands is nothing but intresting . itold him that lyman handles would probably work & i have a couple confirms on that , once again thaks fellas!!:castmine:

Paul B
10-03-2006, 02:21 AM
I believe that RCBS took over the Ohaus molds. I'd do the research, but time constraints on getting ready for an upcoming hunt prevents me from doing so at this time. My apologies for not being able to do it at this time.
Paul B.