PDA

View Full Version : SP101 Load??

phaessler
10-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Looking for a 38 special load for a Lyman 358480, 130gn SWC, I have loads for a 357Mag, but I also can interpolate them back thru the bullet weight , and volume , just curious if anyone has any old data?
My Lyman #44 and the Cast Bullet Handbook #3 (1973) doesnt list any data for this casting in the 38Special?
Any input?

Pete

Poygan
10-21-2010, 09:49 AM
I checked my Lyman books and none list a .38 special load for this boolit. This boolit would shoot low in a fixed sight gun so I'm not sure how useful it would be.

jdgabbard
10-21-2010, 12:15 PM
I don't have any data for this boolit either. However, if I were to make a suggestion for you on a starting load this is what would come to mind.

Bullseye 2.5g - 4.5g max
Red Dot 2.5g - 4.5g max
Unique 3.5g - 5.5g max
231 3.0g - 5.0g max

Now keep in mind this IS NOT Published data. Rather what I would start with given that bullet weight. Start out at the given starting loads, and work up carefully CONSTANTLY CHECKING FOR PRESSURE SIGNS.

I cannot stress enough how critical it is to be very observant of pressure indicators when working loads up. Although you're gun should handle these pressures with ease, as I've also got a SP101 and know that they are built like a tank, still be careful. The last thing any of us want to hear about is a fellow caster, or anyone else, loosing digits, limbs, eyesight, or worse.