PDA

View Full Version : What size barrel for scope blocks?

Wayne Smith
10-20-2010, 05:18 PM
What is the lightest weight barrel safe to mount scope blocks on? I'm wondering about screw depth and potentially interfering with the rifling even if the hole doesn't go through.

I'm looking at a barrel mounted scope for my Martini project, the .25 Kraig AI- and I have blocks and a scope on a .22 and I want to put the reciever sights back on that one. Scope needs work, but that can be done.

Or maybe leave the scope on the .22 and put the reciever sight on the Martini?

badgeredd
10-20-2010, 05:29 PM
What is the lightest weight barrel safe to mount scope blocks on? I'm wondering about screw depth and potentially interfering with the rifling even if the hole doesn't go through.

I'm looking at a barrel mounted scope for my Martini project, the .25 Kraig AI- and I have blocks and a scope on a .22 and I want to put the reciever sights back on that one. Scope needs work, but that can be done.

Or maybe leave the scope on the .22 and put the reciever sight on the Martini?

Wayne,

A friend that is a gunsmith once told me that "in his opinion," one should always have at least .100" below the screw hole when mounting anything onto a barrel. Note...that is his opinion. I have gone with his advice and never had a problem. If I need more thread in the hole I flat bottom the hole and use a plug tap to get maximum thread. My 2 pennies worth...

Edd

fishhawk
10-20-2010, 05:32 PM
there is always silver solder wayne. steve k

Wayne Smith
10-21-2010, 10:10 AM
After I posted the question I got thinking - is there enough adjustment in the scope mount to counter the barrel taper? I'm thinking a #2 Douglas at the moment.

leftiye
10-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Maybe go with a custom contour? Something straight(er) for a longer distance in front of the reciever. You'll only need 3 to 4 inches of cylindrical section to make it easy to modify any of a large number of mounts to fit. BTW, most contours have a cylindrical section in front of the reciever as standard. One piece bases can be milled to the same radius as the barrel. And/or you can designate a barrel diameter that a ball endmill can be gotten to mill the base to match with.