PDA

View Full Version : Ballistol - Petro based or not???

piwo
10-20-2010, 04:45 PM
OK, so there are a few (more than a few) folks out here that know one hell of a lot about oils, solvents, lubrications and their molecular makeup. I know doodley squat. :oops:

Been using Ballistol for some pistol cleaning and found a few threads here where folks were using it in bullet lubes. Did a search here and found lots of hits, and lots of opine's about it. A few folks using it for BP, and a few cautioning that it is Petro based (someone said coal based) and I can't seem to cut through it all. Product folks say it's not a petro based solvent but mineral spirit, but they're trying to sell it. I came across their materials transportation sheet, and can't discern what all the abbreviations mean. There is a mention of Petroleum Distillates, but looks more like a category then a description. Here's a link to the sheet. Is there enough information there to determine once and for all if this is petro free or not?

http://www.baileysonline.com/msds_sheets/PDFs/ballistol.PDF

I'd like to try it in my BP rifle but I don't want to if it's going to turn to gummy, sticky mess because of the "oil / BP " thing....

Anyone willing to take a crack at their Material Safety Data Sheet?

madman
10-20-2010, 05:01 PM
I just looked at my can of it. It has mineral oil printed on the back under ingredients. The MSDS sheet also said mineral oil.

HORNET
10-21-2010, 08:51 AM
I haven't had a chance to try any as yet, but Dutch Schoultz recommends it as a patch lube and cleaner as part of his black powder rifle accuracy system.

cajun shooter
10-21-2010, 09:58 AM
From what I have read it is a highly refined synthetic type of machine oil that was discovered by a German scientist. It is used by both smokeless and BP shooters.

357maximum
10-21-2010, 10:17 AM
In my use with my caplocks and underhammers Ballistol has never caused any hard petro fouling. IMHO Ballistol is the best thing since sliced bread for my BP uses. Water+ballistol can be both a cleaner and also serve as a patched roundball lube. Beeswax and/or Microwax +ballistol makes both a conical lube and a metal preservative. My bp box will never be lacking ballistol....never.

**I firmly believe the "PETRO-FOULING" myths were started by the heavy axle greases and thick motor oils and have simply been regurgitated ever since to become all inclusive to included all "petro's".

Mineral oil, vaseline, microwax are all "petro's" but none of them have caused any issues for me in any frontstuffer and I have used them a significant amount.

many will yell heresy at this point and that is their right and their opinion, just as I have the rights to have my opinions based on my actual observations**

870TC
10-21-2010, 10:23 AM
MSDS says "medicinal grade mineral oil" as a base, same as you can buy at Walmart for $2-3 a pint. It does have some other things in it, but it looks like they don't contribute much to how the product works.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistol

PatMarlin
10-21-2010, 11:12 AM
It's a fantastic alternative to toxic petroleum based way oils and and flood coolant system lubes for my shop machines.

I was getting a serious physical reaction to industry standard products. If it wasn't for Ballistol, I don't think I would be in this business. Seriously.

It's only oil that stays on my gun bench. Sizing lube, gun lube, bore cleaning and the BP rifles love it.

waksupi
10-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Well,there has to be something interesting in there besides mineral oil. Ballistol is water soluble, as Dutch does recommend it in his dry lube system. I just put a bit of mineral oil in a small jar, added some water, and as expected, it did not dissolve and mix.
I have to think there is not much of the mineral oil in there, as it is a rather heavy oil, and Ballistol is very liquid.

PatMarlin
10-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Paraffin among other stuff.

Here's a safety data sheet:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:3Qh-msbIGb8J:www.baileysonline.com/msds_sheets/PDFs/ballistol.PDF+Ballistol+safety+data+sheet&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShDWZnWfeM8ycRH-VEb_V7X6QwwTMsih9QDo8TCDeuHsbcpKx6vk69gtULosvrY77z 91oJg0FqY380N9fG-4OPQuZnsFIY7qCNagI0SJ2n1LQLjimv8hZKVAZ1fF_O8Kb0jI8 XS&sig=AHIEtbR2my5plFcGuwlkZw7HFfoP-ZXdcQ

piwo
10-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for all your comments fellas. When I said I did searches, I forgot to specify I did searches here and read a BUNCH of them and read many different opines of whether it is a "petro" based substance here and elsewhere. I have mixed a small batch up with beeswax to my desired "viscosity", and was planning on using it as a patch lube this weekend. Before doing so I really did want to get some input from you all as this forum never ceases to amaze me with the scientific / practical use knowledge from its members(along with the locker room towel snaps to boot). :drinks:

I've found the stuff to be fairly amazing actually. I used it on my gun stocks, shooting bag leather, and as a pistol lubricant and it does everything I ask of it. When I wipe it on my glock's barrel, let it sit for a few minutes then wipe it off, 2 weeks later the metal still feels "slick", without actually being wet. Crazy stuff...

leadhead
10-21-2010, 03:08 PM
But OMG the smell would gag a maggot...............
Denny

357maximum
10-21-2010, 06:16 PM
But OMG the smell would gag a maggot...............
Denny

My wife would agree with that statement.:groner: Funny thing is awhile later after the initial use it reverts to an anise like smell. I have taken to the smell myself just like old hoppes....the smell grows on you with time and use. Truly functional stuff is allowed to smell bad in my book I spose.

cajun shooter
10-21-2010, 10:06 PM
I have it in every way it is sold. When I make my moose milk my wife will leave the area. One day it was pouring down rain and I usually clean my guns after a SASS shoot on our back porch. Well, she was gone so I did it in our spare everything room with towels on the floor. She came home and started gagging and said how can you stand that smell. I replied that I have grown to enjoy it.

rhbrink
10-22-2010, 05:05 AM
I agree with 357maximum and cajun shooter anything that works as good as this stuff on all my rifles, fishing tackle, even use it for ethonal fuel additive? And everything else I can think of to put it on I CAN get use to the smell, after the first can or two you sort of get use to it I did anyway smells GREAT to me now. Sort of makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I put a few drops on a cloth and wipe down my favorite "toy".

63 Shiloh
10-22-2010, 05:58 AM
Agreed it is great stuff.

Also consider it part of a first aid kit, it is also an antiseptic, a spray on a cut will stop an infection.

It is cheap enough to have it in your gun kit, the car, tackle box and shed.

Enjoy!

Mike

bruce381
10-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Ballistol contains medicinal grade mineral oil

This is food grade or "baby Oil"

alkaline salts of oleic acid

This maybe Calcium or Potassium oleate a lubricant and emulsifer to make oils "mix" with water

several alcohols

Could be ethanol or iso propyl like rubbing alcohol
makes a good cleaning solvent

Benzyl Acetate

A co solvent makes everything mix together

and an oil from
vegetal seeds.

Vegtable oil maybe canola or safflower
a very good lubrricant

JudgeBAC
10-22-2010, 10:16 PM
All I know is that this stuff really works.

I use it on my cap and ball 1858 Remmies to clean and lubricate during matches.

Mixed with water it makes a great solvent for any BP application and works great to clean bores after shooting corrosive ammo. Then you can use it full strength as a lubricant and protective coating.

It also works well on old gun stocks. Multi purpose and multi function describes this product.

piwo
10-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Well, as I mentioned earlier, I've used it to clean pistols, wipe down gun stocks and treat leather. So I took the batch I mixed up with bee's wax to the range and used it as a patch lube this weekend. Very easy loading, accuracy was fine. Fired about 25 rounds and I'm not shy about the amount of 3F i stuff down my .54 flint: no gummy mess of any kind. Bore looks like a shiny new dime sitting atop a mud puddle.:grin:

PatMarlin
10-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Speaking of gummy messes...

If you see shop lathe and other machines that run coolant systems, or oil systems they leave a nasty gum. Since I detoxed my machines and run Ballistol they stay shiny clean with no gum residue. They clean up very fast with a simple wipe down.

Splashes leave no mess or stains, but leave a restoring residue that wipes clean. Controls, electronics, and keypads are not harmed and stay clean.

Can I get a Ballistol endorsement here?... :mrgreen:

piwo
10-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Well Pat, you've certainly extended the boundaries of what is normally discussed. If it were my company, you'd be on the payroll!:drinks:

Shooter6br
10-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Hoppes #9 is like Channel #5 to me. i dont think Ballistol is bad at all. My Dad used GI bore cleaner surplus WWII. THAT did smell bad!

RegCom7
12-06-2010, 02:04 AM
I LIKE the smell of Ballistol! They put some Anise in it, I think. That's what they use to make Italian cookies. I might start using Ballistol as aftershave. ;-)

Three44s
12-06-2010, 02:20 AM
I LIKE the smell of Ballistol! ............................I might start using Ballistol as aftershave. ;-)

Let us know if it gets you smiling more! (Looking at your avatar ......... ) LOL!!

Regards

Three 44s

piwo
12-06-2010, 03:51 PM
I LIKE the smell of Ballistol! They put some Anise in it, I think. That's what they use to make Italian cookies. I might start using Ballistol as aftershave. ;-)

Never cooked with anise, but used it when making wheatie balls for carp fishing.... dunno why but I was told as a kid to use anise on the wheatie balls, and it sure workes!

cajun shooter
12-06-2010, 05:29 PM
If you Bass fish then soak your plastic worms in oil of anise. I started doing that in the 60's while Bass Club Fishing. It works very well and does induce strikes when just non scented worms would not. It is one of those things that would be hard to prove but when in a boat and your partner is waxing your butt it does make you use it.

hornsurgeon
12-06-2010, 08:31 PM
from what i have found out over the years, the stuff just works. i use it on auto work for rusted bolts. the germans used it for everything from rifle cleaning, to gear lube, to wood finish, to boot oil (it works very well for this but stinks), and even on wounds as an antiseptic. rumored to also have been used in the german mess halls as a seasoning from time to time. boy, talk about an all purpose item!

Muddy Creek Sam
12-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Never cooked with anise, but used it when making wheatie balls for carp fishing.... dunno why but I was told as a kid to use anise on the wheatie balls, and it sure workes!

We always used dough balls with jello.

Sam :D

kelbro
12-06-2010, 11:47 PM
We always used dough balls with jello.

Sam :D

Wheaties and strawberry soda.

Yellowhouse
12-07-2010, 01:01 AM
I use it diluted with water to treat all my hand and power tool metal surfaces....not more rust!

Thats just in addition to the long list of gun related uses.

And just to embellish the snake oil rep that surrounds it heres another testimonial. Five years ago I was alone at deer camp and woke up at about 3 cause it was cold...cold..cold. Had a coal burning stove we burned wood in and i was squatted down trying to shove a log in. Lost my balance and kept my face off the hot stove with my left hand which started sizzling like bacon. I had a little ice and applied that but expecting big blisters and more......like a trip to the emergency room. Just for the heck of it I smeared ballistol on the burned area and the next day there were no blisters...just a reminder that it was tender. Next day the area hardened and started healing.

I don't care whats in it. May not be the best lubricant for bearing surfaces but I sure can't do without it.

piwo
12-07-2010, 11:56 AM
May not be the best lubricant for bearing surfaces but I sure can't do without it.

Can you elaborate on that? I too love the stuff, and use it on wood, leather, gun lubrication and in patch lube. I ask because if it's used as a firearm lubricant, that would seem to be a problem since I use in on pistol slide rails. Perhaps it's just the definition of what a "bearing surface" is?