PDA

View Full Version : [report] marlin 1895 45/70 SBL

bigted
10-20-2010, 01:44 AM
:D well i had to give a small report on my new marlin here. she is a dandy and tomarrow ill photo it and post here.

solid wood stock with a very cushy thick butpad. pistolgrip and large lever [ which my big ol hands smile about with every trigger pull]. 18.5 inch [ fairly heavy] barrel with a hooded bead front sight and the worst rear sight ever [ whats new huh]. the full length tube underbarrle holds seven in mine and adds just the rite amount of weight to the gun. the checkering is not so sharp that it cuts or scrubs as you shoot it. the sling studs are stainless as is all the metal on this shooter.

so to this nice package i added a limbsaver to add length to the pull as my 6 foot 6 inch frame needs a bit longer in the butstock area [ and the added sponge is happily greeted as well]. i purchased a weaver scope base [ nope this model does not come with it ] and weaver rings. scope is a leo 2 to 7 power and the eye relief is just rite on this gen 2 scope. i added a sling that completes this package for me.

i gotta say that this is the most comfy 45 lever i have ever shot. the 405 rem factory loads are like plinking loads in it. i loaded some 350 gr horn j words at just above 1600 fps and unlike my other marlin 45/70's ...this is also just a plinker for this gun....what a peach she is. i cant wait to try some 500+ gr boolits in her and im gonna hotrod some 400's just for bear loads and just fer funers. i also am in the middle of gathering all needed for black powder loading this great ol cartridge. more news at 11 on the bp tho.

overall i like this gun and percieve it to be my go to gun for wheeler and boat rides as well as camp protection from the marouding bears that love to torment campers in the fall when they are as hungry as ever trying to gather fat for the winter snooze.

anybody who is looking for a weather resistant lever that will handle most things you hand it should look at this sleeper for a serious qualifier. this is the alaska gun i have waited for that is afordable and finished for fun. it aint a neat ol win 86 not is it a hiwall or sharps but man when you go sneakin thru the thick stuff...this is company to lust for.

anxious to hear from others that have taken this rifle for a spin.

bigted
11-04-2010, 11:32 AM
WELL???? nobody found an "SBL" yet?? didnt think they were that new. maybe i just came out from under a rock and foolishly posted on a gun everybody has already rastled out.

ho hum...i still love this gun and it is a rock star for me. i would never feel undergunned in camp with this and the 465's around 1600fps. this is a shooter and a half.

it will not replace any other rifles but for its intended use ...it shines

NickSS
11-05-2010, 05:51 AM
I am a long time (45 years) lover of the 45-70 and I have quite a few of them both original old guns and new ones both single shots and repeaters. There is little that a 45-70 can't do and marlins are great guns (I have three 18.5", 22" and 26") They all do well for what I use them for.

45r
11-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Almost got a SBL but went with a XLR.Love the rifle,very accurate with every boolit I've tried.Marlins are fun guns,want a 30-30 with ballard rifling to go with it.Wish I could find a CB or XLR for a good price.

HammerMTB
11-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I have a guide gun, not the SLR, but I sure like mine. At 6'3", I need a bit more LOP too, but haven't hunted down a Limbsaver for it yet. I put a peep on mine, to be more in keeping with my intended brush and short range uses.
I've only "discovered" the .45-70 of recent, but when I ran across 12" bear patties in the woods, they were not so disconcerting as when I was carrying my .243
Love the 1895!

thx997303
11-07-2010, 03:10 PM
I have an 1895 guide gun myself.

The LOP is about right for me as I'm a smaller guy.

I put a Skinner Peep sight on it. I have plans for something a little better but have to figure out some things first.

In the meantime, the gun and sight combination is great. I can only imagine that the other variants are just as good.

Groo
11-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Groo here
Our family has a "few" ,,a hard cast in the 400 range at 1600+ will do most anything
around here AND THEN SUM....
I have a lee 340 gr mold that I use for plinking