PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 416 mold

rbuck351
10-20-2010, 12:47 AM
I just got my new RCBS mold for my 416 Rem and cast a few to see how it works. It casts very well dropping a nicely filled out boolit weighing very close to 365gr. The problem is the nose mics about .401/.402 driving bands.416/.417. I haven't slugged my bore yet but I'm expecting it to be about .408 (Douglas barrel) and the boolit nose when slipped in the end of the barrel is rather loose. Is this normal for this mold and can I expect any accuracy if pushed to 2400/2500fps? I'm using acww with a little linotype added but will use wcww if it will help.

Hardcast416taylor
10-20-2010, 11:08 AM
I just dug out some of my RCBS 416 350 cast bullets. Mine measure about the same as yours do, my mold is about 12 or so years old and now is hollow pointed by Buckshot. Yes, the bullet "falls" into the muzzle due to it being about .401" dia. and the bearing surfaces are .416 or a touch larger. In my Taylor with a Shilen barrel and using 49 gr. of 3031 with a standard primer in Winch. formed brass I get 4-leaf clovers for a 5 shot string off the bench at 100 yds. Last week a friend was banging on a maple tree out at an honest 300+ yds with my load. I`ve tried about all the ww alloy recipes. The one I use most often is straight ww with a bit of tin added and air cool them. For serious confrontations I would water quench them. My lubes have been many. The one I currently am using with excellent results is Cold Bear Blue that requires a bit of heat to use. I would just load some of your sized and lubed bullets up and try them as the deminsons are about the twin of mine.Robert

rbuck351
10-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Thanks. I was afraid that I had gotten a bad mold but if your having that good of results I guess it's time to hit the range