PDA

View Full Version : To My Brothers On Cast Boolits

OLPDon
09-25-2006, 09:33 PM
I know this is not something that is a cast bullets subject, and I don't post or add to threads. I enjoy this message board and I gain much information here and have more then a few laughs. I also know the board has a few Marine's here I recieved this on a forward it is a Link entitled " A Wake for a Indian Warrior"

I just had to share it with my friends @ Cast Boolits.

Semper Fi

Don

http://www.bentbay.dk/Indian_war.htm

boogerred
09-25-2006, 11:11 PM
thank you OLPDON, that was a great link. i wish we would all treat the war dead with such respect. i had no idea the indians did that.honorable traditions still count for some people.

Urny
09-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks OLPDon. When the traveling wall came to Elko, the Shoshone and Paiutes from local reservations decorated it with shrines to their lost sons and daughters. Seeing it was very humbling.

NVcurmudgeon
09-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Too bad all Americans don't show such apreciation and gratitude to our war dead. We all have something to learn about honor from the Lakota.

keeper89
09-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Kind of makes me wonder what honor the Cindy Sheehans of this country think they are paying to our beloved sons and daughters who have made the ultimate sacrifice--and those who are sacrificing every day in lesser ways.........

shooter2
09-26-2006, 07:52 AM
Very touching. Thanks for sharing it.

9.3X62AL
09-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Thank you very much for posting this link. I am gratified to see that one part of our country--our Native Americans--truly get the picture.

BorderBrewer
09-26-2006, 04:10 PM
OLPDon,
Thanks for sharing that. It was very moving to see the honor that is rightfully bestowed on one of our fallen heros. And now that I've sufficiently recovered, I can open my office door again.
BorderBrewer

Bret4207
09-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Thank you for linking that. Although my personal experiences with our local Mohawks has been on less than friendly terms, it does my heart good to know that, for a while at least, out "tribes" can join together to honor our dead.

Semper Fi- Cpl BW Martin, USMC 79-83

MGySgt
09-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Thank you for the post.

Semper Fi!

Drew

Joey
09-27-2006, 09:53 PM
I have seen this before. My first thought was why would an indian serve this country? When you read how this country treated the indians. It was not that long ago the indians could buy liquor.

This country stole there land, placed them on reservations, treated them like second class citizens-even though they were here first, but yet they responded to the colors.

This says more for the indian than it does for this country. I am white,not an indian and I do not fully understand this.:confused:

Bret4207
09-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Throughout millenia, lands have been fought for and won, one way or another. The indians in the US lost their land by conquest and treaty, it wasn't "stolen". Read the history and you'll find nearly all the American tribes "stole" land from the indians that were there before them, through war. So to follow the "stolen" land idea, we'd have to figure out who the very first nomadic tribes to step foot on the land was and say it's his. And since most cultures have an oral history involving a Great Flood in which all the people but a select few dies, wouldn't we have to go back beyond the flood to find the original inhabitant? Following that line of thinking I could go back to Scotland, France and Holland and lay claim to whatver land my family traditions said was ours 200 years ago. Of course the guys that were there before me would have "more" rights to it than I would.

That in many cases the indians in the US were treated poorly is true. But, as with slavery, I never killed any indians, owned any slaves, burned any witches, spread typhoid, beat up on women or much of any of the other historical sins layed on the feet of white Anglo-Saxon Christian males. Today an indian has a pretty good deal in the USA if he chooses to make something of it and not wallow in self pity and depression. I don't buy the premise that indians, blacks, Mexicans, Irish, the Catholics/Mormons/Jews, the Poles, gays, Asians or any other "group" you choose to place yourself in should get special treatment and become a victim in the modern USA. If you choose to feel bad about past transgressions and vow never to let our society repeat them, good. But don't buy into the politically correct idea that everone is "owed" something. In fact, it's the other way around- We are all lucky enough to live in the greatest country the world has ever known. We "owe" it to our Nation and our children to try and better our country.

I don't mean any of this as a flame at you Joey. But having been a Marine, I see the young man taking a challenge to prove to himself that he could make it through boot camp and join the finest military organization in the US if not the world. So perhaps it wasn't so much this kid serving his country, but a rite of passage to manhood that he saw as a good and respectable way to prove something to himself. That he was serving the US may have been a secondary benefit he didn't recognize till later. Either way , he has my respect and my condolences go out to his loved ones. He fought and died to protect his Nation, his family and the free world from terroists bent on world domination in a war not yet given the recognition it deserves. This is World War 3.

waksupi
09-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Well, since I have a smattering of Indian blood, I'll kick in a bit. Brett has it pretty much right. My people Kicked the Sioux out of the Grreat Lakes region about the time the whites were progressing west. We never gave the Sioux a darned thing. When the Mandans and the Crow split, the Mandan didn't give the Crow any special consideration. The Blackfeet will still kick your ass, if given half a chance.
The culture prevalent now, is the results of warfare, and theft, as it always has been. Nothing new now, nothing new 200 years ago.

MT Gianni
09-28-2006, 11:19 PM
I understand Montana leads the nation per capita in military enrollment. It is a proud tradition on many of our reservations as well as the neighboring states, ND, SD, WY. Some feel it is a sad social commentary on how any chance to get out and see the world is better than no chance stuck on a reservation, but most view it as patriotism. Gianni

lar45
09-29-2006, 01:20 PM
I enjoyed the read,

what I didn't enjoy was when it tried to hijack my computer.