PDA

View Full Version : Saeco Mould #58

Senor Chisme
09-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but have been shooting cast (by someone else) for many years. I'm more into shootin' them than makin' them. I tried casting years ago and it just wasn't for me. I just buy the ready mades when I roll my own ammo. I currently load lead in .32-20, .32 Mag, .41 Spl, .44 Spl, .45 Colt, .45 ACP, and .45-70. That brings me to the point of this thread.

Does anyone know of a commercial source that casts the Saeco #58 bullet? This is a 215gr., .452 SWC BB that is commonly called the Bowling Pin Bullet. I think that is because of the large meplat. If it is good enough for bowling pins, it should be good enough for plinking and two legged varmints. I plan to shoot this in the ACP cylinder of a Ruger BH. If I am lucky, it will also feed through my 1911s.

The only source I have found so far is National Bullet Co. I ordered some 2 months ago and haven't seen product yet. I also read some negative stuff about them on a Ruger forum. Is there anyone out there that can help me? Thanks.

felix
09-25-2006, 07:05 PM
The BD 45ACP group buy mold is for you. The largest meplat going. Casts a 240 grainer with WW. That would be an excellent pin boolit, and feeds well in most 45s after playing with the overall length. No crimp groove. ... felix

klausg
09-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Senor C- If you're looking to buy already cast, try Bullshop's site, (scroll down to the bottom of the page for a link). He makes a very good bullet, and may have what you're looking for. You might also try PM'ing "KYCaster", or "PGBSuperior";I believe they also cast commercially. Hope this helps.

-Klaus

Senor Chisme
09-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Thank you for the input. I was hoping to keep the bullet weight between 210 and 220 but will certainly consider the heavier ones.

Alloy
09-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Senor Chisme:

I cast the Saeco 58 SWC 215 grain and shoot it in 45 acp & auto rim. I use an alloy of approximately 3% Sn, 5% Sb and the remainder Pb. I currently have a few thousand of these on hand.

It is a bit far from VA to TX and I suspect the freight is something to consider.

Alloy

kenjuudo
09-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Senor Chisme: Pm me your addy, I'll send ya some samples of the BD45 to try.

jim

Senor Chisme
10-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Jim,

Thanks for the bullets, got them yesterday. I look forward to loading this weekend. Will let you know how well they shoot.

Joe