PDA

View Full Version : 24/47 Yugo Mauser

Beekeeper
10-19-2010, 02:51 PM
I have 2 of them.
Slugged the bores when I first got them but failed to write it in the log.As I remember they were .323 groove.Will slug them again but wanted to pick someones brain.
Neither one is very accurate using the Lee C324-175-1R seated to where the slug says should be,Just forward of the first driving band
Made a couple of test shells and the one I seated with only the GC and one driving band in the case.
Bolt still closes.
I have not found a longer boolit in my search and was wondering if anyone has a preference.
The BRP slug is only .0010 longer than the Lee so I do not see much help there.
Is the Lee safe to shoot with so little of the slug in the case mouth?

Any ideas

Jim

BABore
10-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Mine drop at 0.326 (326-200 Silh) and 0.327 (327-180 GC). Both have nose diameters that are bigger than bore, even though it looks like they have a bore ride nose. Mil-Surps have large throats and these boolits were designed to fit them by 45 2.1. Don't size to the groove, size to the throat. Both designs engrave in my VZ-24 when seated to a normal depth. I know 45 2.1 uses these in his 24/27 as does Dutch4122. They shoot very well. 15.5 grains of Unique will group 5 shots into less than 1 1/2" easily with issue sights. I use commercial Remington brass for my general plinking loads. When it's serious time, I use reformed Remington 30'06 cases. This makes the neck thick enough so I have 0.001" of boolit clearance once expanded.

Let me know if you want a few samples.

Larry Gibson
10-19-2010, 07:34 PM
You might just size them at .325 and seat them so the GC is at the base of the neck. The throats are long in those rifles and you don't really need to seat the bullet to the leade in a milsurp. It will not have the accuracy to tell the difference in seating depths. Also suggest you try 28 gr 4895 with a 3/4 gr dacron filler over the powder. It is an excellent shooting load in numerous 8x57s, including my M24/47.

Larry Gibson

Johnch
10-19-2010, 10:54 PM
I only size enough to crimp on the GC and pan lube
As my chamber will easly take .327

That reduced the group size from 12" to sub 3"
Groups shot with better eyes are even better

John

Buckshot
10-20-2010, 01:44 AM
..............I have a VZ24/47 that is actually quite a nice rifle. The barrel is quite shiney with good sharp lands.

http://www.fototime.com/79DAE87BBF8BE29/standard.jpg

Like johnch, the barrel on mine is .314" x .327" and it has a .329" throat! Some years back, on the board previous to this one I did a Lee GB for a fat 8mm slug @ 240grs, below:

http://www.fototime.com/982F406A87D7DAC/standard.jpg

There simply weren't any fat 8mm's for all the surplus 8x57's that were flooding the market at the time. As luck would have it, the first couple of $69 Turkish Mausers (my first 8x57's) had .324" grooves. In anticipation I'd made myself a .326" Lube-size die and then a .324" & .325" Lee type push through.

Then I got that VZ24/47 at Big 5 Sporting goods for $89 on an unadvertised 'After Christmas' sale. One look at the wood and it's overall condition and I had to have it. After I picked it up and got it home the barrel measurements floored me! :groner: I wonder who was making their barrels and what tolerances they were given? :-) Well I wasn't TOO upset as I did have that big fat boolit and a .326" size die already.

Howsomever I was also already a Steyr M95 vet so I had the Lee .329" slug (which is useless for lots of M95's) which should work for this oversized 8x57. The Lee boolit drops @ .330/.331" so I made a .330" lube die and bought a .329" Lee type push through die. I then had to make a .328" push through die as the .329" was causing some problems. As good as that bore looked, and having a couple boolits that 'should' have shot really well, it shot rather indifferently.

With never a leading issue, a good crown etc, I figured it had to be bedding, and Lo it twas :-) Now with no razzmatazz while reloading it'll easily hold 5 rounds in 1.5" at 50 yards, and me and those Mauser iron sights really don't do well together these days. Oh, and regular Lee 8x57 dies size the case necks more then they have to for jacketed slugs let alone cast ones, and then those at .328" are a whole 'nuther deal! Got that taken care of via making a new collet mandrel for the Lee collet neck sizer.

...............Buckshot

Beekeeper
10-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Buckshot,
You don't happen to have an extra mould you would part with do you?
I Have a Syeyr M695 mould and will give it a try but may need to get a sizing die from you.

Jim