PDA

View Full Version : new cylinder ?

white eagle
10-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Is it possible that when I sent my blackhawk in for repair that Ruger fit a new cylinder to it
I just do not think my cylinder is the same
They did replace a few parts but sent back the old one too
Curious [smilie=p:

S.R.Custom
10-19-2010, 01:32 PM
If they did replace it --and it's entirely possible they did-- they would not return the old one to you. Barrels, receivers, cylinders they always keep.

ReloaderFred
10-19-2010, 01:37 PM
There are some parts they won't sell, so they don't return those. They require the whole firearm be sent to them for a cylinder replacement, and if they did replace your cylinder, they would keep the old one to prevent it from being used in another revolver without being properly fitted.

I know of one old Blackhawk belonging to a gunsmith that has been back to Ruger numerous times to have a cylinder fitted to it. Each time, it's sent without the original cylinder...........

Hope this helps.

Fred

Char-Gar
10-19-2010, 01:42 PM
When you send a Ruger pistol back to the factory for work, they go over it and fix or replace anything they feel is needed to bring it back to full factory specs.

I had a wonderful trigger job on a Ruger Old Army but it came with heat scale in the barrel from the front sight attachment. I sent it back for a new barrel at their expense, but they replace the trigger and hammer as well. They didn't like their pistols having such a light trigger pull.

This is long way around to say, yes, they very well might have replaced the cylinder. They would not have sent the parts back. They are very legal minded there at Ruger and don't want their products going out of their door in any condition except as new in specs.

white eagle
10-19-2010, 09:24 PM
if I recall correctly the previous owner had the chamber throats reamed
looks like I need to get a reamer myself

tek4260
10-19-2010, 10:57 PM
www.cylindersmith.com

If you only have one to ream, he is the best bet. If you mail it on Monday, odds are you will have it back in hand by Friday or so.

He did my first 2, then I bought a reamer and pilots and did another 12. Then sold the reamer for the same as I paid :)

They go quick on Rugerforum

bgokk
10-22-2010, 11:31 AM
www.cylindersmith.com

They go quick on Rugerforum

I found 2 Rugerforums. One .net and one .com. Which id the one you refer to?

BG:popcorn:

bigboredad
10-22-2010, 12:34 PM
. com is his usual but spends time on . net as well