PDA

View Full Version : For those using RCBS Presses

jgt
10-18-2010, 11:42 PM
RCBS lists a solid ram for bullet swaging with a Rock Chucker press on their web site. It is product number 57189 and lists for $74.95. They did not say what shipping would cost but you can ask them when you order one. Hope this help those who want to use these for swaging or those trying to make up their minds.

BT Sniper
10-19-2010, 12:40 AM
IT still needs machine work. It is only the stock ram minus the cut out for the primmer arm, no cut out in the bottom with the hole drilled to mount to linckage and no cut out for a shell holder. Basicly it is the standard ram before it gets it's turn in the proper machines. Unless it has changed. I got to set one up for another member here. With the proper cut out at bottom and drilled and taped to accept threaded base punches it works great but it is far from usable out of the box.

I have used my RC for a while now. It did stress the shell holder just a little bit at first then it kind of got worked in a bit and now works just fine. Ocasionaly I have to convince a shell holder with a pry from a long flat screw driver but I think for the money and work need to actually use this "swaging" ram you are just as well off to buy anouther press and dedicate one to swaging or buy a correct size of bar stock and have it machined for you.

BT

firefly1957
10-19-2010, 08:17 AM
The rcbs and Lyman both use a 1" ram I made one for may orange crusher that was shorter to use Pacific (I think that is right they have no markings other than caliber) swage dies. In my case I used a pipe to shim the ram from other press than added 1" rod to bring it to workable length.
My suggestion is it you have to do the work anyway a $23 36" steel rod is usable from the hardware store. and you have a lot of material for other rams if needed.

On your problem getting shell holders out I have the same trouble with some rcbs shell holders but not others? Lee shell holder never stick in the ram? My Rock Chucker was purchased Around 1977 and is still working fine. In 1985 I purchased the Orange crusher as I was told that the rcbs would not size 50-3 1/4 cases . both work fine and have enough room to size the case nether will seat the heavier bullets so I made a die to do that by hand.

jgt
10-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks,
Good information for lots of folks here including me.

ReloaderFred
10-19-2010, 01:31 PM
I size and load .45-120 Sharps (3 1/4") on both my RCBS Rockchucker and Hollywood presses. I just have to feed the bullet into the seating die before seating, as the window isn't tall enough for a caliber that long, but it's workable.

Hope this helps.

Fred

James Wisner
10-24-2010, 09:44 AM
There are TWO diameters of rams for the rockchukers.

The old ones are 1.00 in diameter.
But at one point they changed it to.995

Both of My RC2 presses, early 90's are the odd new size, but my fathers old RC, 1974 is the one inch diameter ram.

I am in the process of changing his old press over to a swaging press, recut the toggles to shorten the stroke, made a new ram from turned and polished 1144 steel.
Just need to do the end work now of the ram, and work out the ejection system.

James Wisner