PDA

View Full Version : S&W 6904/6946 sights

Daryl
10-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Hi,

I've had an S&W 669 for years and the sights seem right on. Bullet goes pretty much where it is aimed with the 6 Oclock hold.

Then I got a 6946. Next generation in same basic frame and size in DAO. Seems to shoot about 5" low. I need to hold at the top of the target to hit the center. Basically, if the front sight was ground down to the frame, that sight picture would hit the target.

I thought it must be me. But, I have Glocks, revolvers, etc. that all hit fine with the 6 O'Clock hold on the target.

Figured I'd sell it and forget about it. But I did not sell it, in fact I got a 6904 SA/DA. Same sights as the 6946.... and.... same results!! Just about 5" low as well.

What to do? I like these guns alot and think they are very underappreciated and under valued. Nice alloy frames, dependable, pretty accurate, comfortable carry and shoot - plus 12+1 is a reasonable load.

I just want all my guns to have the same sight picture so I'm not mentally adjusting to the gun (because mental adjustment is difficult? yes). I've not found adjustable sights for these models. I did find replacement front sights for $12 or so - so if there was some customization trials it should be easy to undo.

Suggestions?

Thanks

ReloaderFred
10-19-2010, 01:35 AM
When the Model 39 and 59 first came out, they made different height rear sights to adjust the point of impact. I'm not sure if they did the same with the later guns or not, but it might be something to look into. Your rear sight needs to be raised to bring the point of impact up to the sight picture.

Hope this helps.

Fred

9.3X62AL
10-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Use caution if you do drift the rear sight out of its dovetail. The rear sight retains a spring-loaded plunger that is part of the firing pin block assembly.

While annoying, the "5 inches low" bullet strike (if at 25 yards) is not critical for a defensive pistol that generally gets deployed under 7 yards from the target. Just a guess, but perhaps your pistols are regulated for the slower-running 147 grain sub-sonic 9mm loads that are all the rage among Facklerites and others who don't get shot at for a living. These loads tend to shoot a couple inches higher at 25 yards than my preferred carry load in 9mm--the 125 grainers at 1225-1250 FPS.

Daryl
10-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks for that info. Anyone know where detailed disassembly instructions might be for this family of pistols?

You are right - it was at about 50'.

9.3X62AL
10-21-2010, 11:35 PM
If you have a Numrich or Gun Parts Corp. catalog, exploded diagrams are often listed therein. Don't know if GPC has such illustrations online.

Combat Diver
10-24-2010, 11:02 AM
For Smiths 3rd Gen Manual
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/other/SW_Metal_Frame_Auto_Pistol_06_16_08.pdf

I had ordered a new Novak rear sight for my 6904 for about $17 from Smith last year.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/other/PistolPartsList_Retail.pdf