PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 Trigger?

dk17hmr
10-18-2010, 02:40 PM
I picked up a Remington 700 Stainless for elk hunting, normally I adjust the trigger to get it where I want it on a 700. This one however is stubborn as I am and doesnt want to drop in weight. Is there a desent drop in trigger group I can install myself with out spending the big bucks on a Jewell?

Or maybe a good spring kit to get the factory trigger down to around 3 pounds?

358wcf
10-18-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm using the Shilen trigger on two of my 700s- absolutely fabulous triggers!!!
Affordable as well!

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

rhbrink
10-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Check out www.quarterbore.com/libary/articles/rem700trigger.html

Wally
10-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Check out www.quarterbore.com/libary/articles/rem700trigger.html

It is unavailable...

rhbrink
10-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Looks like they are changing their server go to quarterbore.com and look at the articles I just found it that way. Really good article guy should make a copy to have for future reference just in case.

Gunfixer
10-18-2010, 09:33 PM
DK, is this a newer (6yrs or newer) 700? I have found several spring ends " unfinished" leaving a tag end binding in the housing. Pull it apart and check.

dk17hmr
10-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Brand new....bought it about 2 weeks ago. I have about 75 rounds though it so it may come around after I get more trigger time. I wont be doing anything until I get an elk or after season.

How hard is it to change out a trigger anyways? I see most suggest that it be done by a gunsmith.

Lloyd Smale
10-19-2010, 06:29 AM
Ive got a new one too with the newer style trigger and mine doesnt want to ajust down past 3.5 lbs either.

frankenfab
10-19-2010, 10:05 AM
"How hard is it to change out a trigger anyways? I see most suggest that it be done by a gunsmith."

Not very hard. That's just lawyer talk.

but it does need to be done right and safety checks afterward. Any decent trigger should come with instructions.

MtGun44
10-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Most bolt rifles are easy to change out the whole trigger assy, but the issue is being
careful to check out that everything is working correctly afterwards. Probably the great
majority are no big deal but if you have one of the 'other cases' you may need a bit of
skill.

Not everybody should be working on triggers, but many folks are capable of the precision
and care that is absolutely mandatory in this kind of work.

If you are not fully confident of your experience level and understanding of exactly
what you are doing, it is better to pay an expert. Note that I didn't say 'pay a gunsmith'.
Some are experts and some are not.

Bill

tek4260
10-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Just change the trigger pull weight spring. The new springs are too heavy to adjust down to a good trigger. You have to loosen the screw to the point that the spring will not reliably reset the trigger. Just enough tension on the spring to reset the trigger will result in a 5lb or so trigger. I have tried in vain to adjust too many. I now change out the spring and can get good light triggers on the new rifles.

cowboy
10-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Howdy-
I have 2 700's of RECENT manufacture, and Both now wear Timney triggers.
Works for me, and a bunch better than the 6+ pound "liability' triggers provided by Remington. Never understood how turning out an rifle that you were less likely to hit your intended target with was safer:-?
frankenfab is right- the instructions are clear, and easy for me to install with a minimum of tools.