PDA

View Full Version : organizing/storing apertures

hiram
10-18-2010, 02:20 PM
I have seen on Sagebrush a round organizer and on Buffalo Arms a rectangular organizer for storing front sight apertures.

Are there other types available? Where?

I have no idea what's good. What do you use?

I want to get something but I don't know what's good. I was thinking of a weekly pill box.

Thanks

Don McDowell
10-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Depends on what aperatures. I have the magnetic rectangular box that Shiloh sells for the Lee Shaver inserts, and the round one for the "Sharps" inserts.

hiram
10-18-2010, 03:09 PM
I have the Lyman 17A

schutzen
10-18-2010, 03:47 PM
These guys have a neat little rig.

shilohrifle.com.

Hubertus
10-19-2010, 01:35 AM
Hiram,

I am no expert by all means, but I had the pleasure of meeting a gentlemen by the name of Fred just this past weekend in Friendship.
His and his sons outfit is called Pioneer Products. Besides other needful things for the BPCR aficionado they sell aperture organizers that are round as many others. The only and most significant difference is - theirs are having a little steel ball inlayed in the body in a notch that matches notches in the rotator and will lock it in place so that it doesn't rotate too easily. That way the inserts will not come out unintentionally.

They don't have a website. I don't know whether I am supposed to post his number if you want to have it please send me PM.

Hubertus

Edit: I just found that Shiloh sells these arperture organizers, just have a look:
http://www.shilohrifle.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=160

Baron von Trollwhack
10-19-2010, 07:40 AM
You can use a little mint tin with a give away advertising fridge magnet cut to size in the bottom to hold them securely.
BvT

cajun shooter
10-19-2010, 11:55 AM
I bought the Sagebrush one from Harlan and it works great. The small magnetic one will fit in your pocket if needed. So I have both.

Kenny Wasserburger
10-19-2010, 03:18 PM
I have the sagebrush model, and Pa Leeth makes a excellent one also. Shiloh Sells them. Fred Sr, who I get to call Pa has been a good friend for many years, as has Fred III. Pa made me two of his very fine wind flags also this year and brought them to Raton for me. One I kept the other was for my little Brother Jim Gier as a gift. They are very good quality and sensitive!!!!

KW
The Lunger

Jbar4Ranch
10-21-2010, 11:31 AM
I don't swap 'em out all that often, so the respective set for each rifle resides in Remington or CCI cap tins.

Doc Highwall
10-21-2010, 01:03 PM
The thing I like about the round plastic ones is you can mark the size of the apertures keeping track of the size better. But I will agree most of the time I use only one aperture all the time.

hiram
10-22-2010, 05:26 PM
I found this pill holder and went with it. Eight compartments, 3/4 deep, 2 1/8 X 2 5/8. I have a P-Touch label maker to make compartment labels. For the apertures 9 and 10, 2 big ones, I'll store them with apertures 1 and 2, 2 small ones to easily see the difference. I won't label them by diameter, just number them 1 -- 10.

Doc Highwall
10-22-2010, 05:56 PM
hiram, I would suggest labeling them with the size so you will know how much difference between sizes and as time goes on you will know what you shoot the best with. Then when you shoot a different gun you will have a better idea what size you need.

hiram
10-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Doc-That's a good idea and easy enough to do with a label-maker. Thanks.

hiram
10-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Here's my organizer. The bottom 2 right lids are open to show that the compartment is labeled as well as the lid.

Doc Highwall
10-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Looks good hiram, now if you write those sizes down when you go to a gun show with some calipers you can buy some that you do not have, or buy some that can be opened to a size that you like.

Donor8x56r
10-27-2010, 06:50 PM
I have Lyman 17A set for H&R Target and i cant figure out what are they suppose to be used for .
I found only one of them very useful-rest doesnt seem to work with my eyes.
If there an info somewhere on the net with use, or training with them?

Doc Highwall
10-27-2010, 07:18 PM
One of the reasons there are different sizes is because people shoot at different size targets and also different barrel lengths. On a gun where the front sight is say15" from your eye you will need a aperture that is only half the size as one that is 30" from your eye. It is also better to error on the side of too large then too small for the front aperture.

hiram
10-28-2010, 03:42 AM
Donor

The inserts that are in the box were purchased from Ron Snover. There is a post somewhere here about tired eyes and his insert (I think).

chuebner
10-28-2010, 07:50 AM
I used to use the plastic container that a roll of 3M electrical tape comes in. Wandering through a Pearl's Art & Craft store one day I found the thin magnetized stuff that is used on notepads or grocery list pads that you stick on the refrigerator door. I cut a piece about 1 1/2" X 4" and stick the inserts on that. The magnetized piece is kept in a plastic sandwich bag in my range box. The only problem is the magnetized stuff is a very dark brown color and makes seeing the inserts on it a little hard. Cheap but it works.

charlie

Doc Highwall
10-28-2010, 03:51 PM
chuebner, you could put the magnetic rubber in a metal mint box and write the sizes on a piece of paper and tape it to the inside of the cover. I myself like to keep them separate as with my luck they will all just clump together on the magnet.

texasmac
10-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Here's mine. A thin CD holder with magnetic strips super glued down. The thin strips securely hold the inserts and also make it easy to grab one with my stubby fingers. I keep it in my shooting box .

Wayne

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/RealTexasMac/Sightinsertholder.jpg