PDA

View Full Version : sight settings for cast

indymadcaster
10-18-2010, 10:03 AM
ok all you mil-surp folks what sight settings get you on the bull @ 50 and 100 with cast??? and perhaps we could make this a sticky??? lots of new folks get confused when they are not even on paper@ 100 yrds or 50 for the matter lets share!

:cbpour:

x101airborne
10-18-2010, 10:23 AM
I would think, IMO that just as every weapon does not shoot the same group, the loads are just as individual. i would think that everyone should fire one round unsupported at 10 yards to start. i have never had a rifle at mechanical zero not paper at 10 yards. if someone does not know how to mechanical zero a weapon, they need more instruction before handling said weapon. There are just too many variables in personal handloaded ammunition to have any semblance of consistancy between different peoples ammunition. Not like arsenal ammo and lot manufactured weapons.

Calamity Jake
10-18-2010, 12:14 PM
+1 on airborne execpt for the offhand shot, shoot from a good rest, both front and rear @ 10 or 25 yards, use a big target with an aiming point in the center, adjust elevation to shoot 1/2" high @ 25 then move to 50 then on out to 100 adjusting elevation as needed.

Shoot more than one round @ 25 and 50 then fine tune for 100.

Larry Gibson
10-18-2010, 12:14 PM
ok all you mil-surp folks what sight settings get you on the bull @ 50 and 100 with cast??? and perhaps we could make this a sticky??? lots of new folks get confused when they are not even on paper@ 100 yrds or 50 for the matter lets share!

:cbpour:

If your milsurp is atypical and shoots 6 - 8" high at 100 yards on the lowest sight setting then a setting at 300 - 400 meters usually gets me close to POA at 100 yards. If the actual zero is 12"+ then many times the actual zero is pretty close to POI with cast at 100 yards. If the sights have been regulated to a zero that matches the sight setting (POA = POI) then a 500 - 600 meter setting is used with cast at 100 yards. This is with medium or heavy bullets at 1700 - 1950 fps. Of lot depends on the rifles actual zero and the cast bullet loads velocity.

Larry Gibson

qajaq59
10-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Generally if my first shot with a new rifle is not even on the paper I shoot at a clump of dirt on the berm while someone watches. Then you can adjust from there. It's quick and dirty, but it works.

sqlbullet
10-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Also, depends on your load. There is a wide range of velocity you will find here in 200 gr 30-06, which is the rifle caliber I shoot with most.

Best bet is to look at ballistics charts for you bullet IMHO. Plot the trajectory your rifle is zero'd for with current ammo, then run the ballistics on the lead load you are going to shoot next. The drop numbers should give you an idea of where you will be.

mpmarty
10-18-2010, 02:34 PM
My Marlin 45/70 required a taller front sight to come to zero. It's right on now.

onesonek
10-18-2010, 02:53 PM
On top of what airborne, larry, and some of the others said,,if I have to re-work the (iron) sights some, I will. As I normally if not always regardless if it's iron sights or glass, I set for PBR less than 1/2 of the intended kill zone. This way I have some margin for error, and to a degree,,,murphy's law.

fredj338
10-18-2010, 03:12 PM
I have to agree, there is no defined sight adjustment that will work for every rifle & load. For a rilfe, shoot your J loads @ 25yds & then your lead loads & compare POI. Then adjust accordingly.

dromia
10-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Every rifle is different, Enfields for example could be fitted with a selection of foresight heights to regulate it to issue ammo.

To find out where it shoots with our cast boolit hand loads you will need to shoot it to get erference point to adjust from.

After that you can apply some maths if you have the ballistic information for that load, Boolit and rifle.

Char-Gar
10-18-2010, 04:46 PM
You have asked a question that can't be answered for the above and other reasons. Find a cast bullet your rifle likes and adjust your sights accordingly.

If for some reason you can't do that, please don't handle firearms without a responsible adult with you.

sqlbullet
10-18-2010, 06:44 PM
I would add that it isn't always just drop either. In one of my Garands, cast bullets impact not only below, but left of the POI of mil-surplus ammo. In the other Garand, same loads, the only deviation is vertical.

You have to shoot the gun to find out.