PDA

View Full Version : Newbie's first go!

Tertle
10-18-2010, 05:57 AM
Hi there all, i hope i am posting this in the right place, if not can you direct me to the correct area, asi am somewhat the green newbie here.

I was kindly loaned some bits and bobs for melting down a stack of lead, i was even loaned a lee melting pot of some description to help in my new venture.

JeffinNZ spent a bit of time explaining what to do, lent me a heap more tools and items and sent me on my merry way.

Well what a load of fun, seriously this is something I could happily get right into. Mind you learnt that adding flux can cause a wee flame, near had a small accident when that happened the first time! (Really learnt that adding a lot can be real spectacular!)

Ive posted a couple of pics but really curious as i used a LEE melting pot the first night and the lead came out all shiny and looking rather smart, (was rather pleased with myself actually), thats the nice stuff on the right side of the first picture, the next mornings attempt using a pot with an external gas flame resulted in a blue rainbow type appearance and the left over lead looked something real odd.

if some one could steer me in the right direction as to an explanation or how to avoid, or improve for next time, i would greatly appreciate it.But what a load of fun and how satisfying to make your own projectiles.

cheers

Mark

Bret4207
10-18-2010, 06:49 AM
You're off to a good start. The funny coloring- I'm betting your alloy was significantly hotter with the gas heated pot and that might explain it.

MtGun44
10-18-2010, 01:39 PM
IME that color means nearly pure or pure lead, very soft. What is the source?

My bet is flashing or pipe or cable sheathing which are near pure. If so, and you are not
loading for a muzzle loader you will need some alloying material with tin and antimony
to get a bit of hardness, esp for high power pistol or rifle loads.

Welcome!

Bill

sqlbullet
10-18-2010, 02:20 PM
I am with MtGun. That is the hallmark of straight lead, rather than an alloy.

I melted down 250 lbs on Saturday, and they all had they blue hue to them.

Tertle
10-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks guys for the input.

The lead was the flashing that is around chimneys, (with recent earthquakes I’m guessing I’m in for a heap more!!) and the odd lead pipe. There was a lot of old paint on some of the lead which i did try to remove, however i was working outside and just gave it a wide berth for a while it burnt off.

I think i did wind up the heat on the 2nd lot.

Today i am going to do a small lot of wheel weights, it’s just odd to see steel float and man the ladle gets a bit of weight in it.

It’s just good to know i haven’t stuffed it!

Cheers a heap

JeffinNZ
10-18-2010, 05:15 PM
I thought those ingots looked suspicously like mine.

shootingbuff
10-18-2010, 07:20 PM
They do look like mine - want tot return them ;-)

Great job/

Tertle
10-18-2010, 08:19 PM
I thought those ingots looked suspicously like mine.

and look Jeff i made some cool looking blue lead too!

looks like i will have plenty of lead to move onto the the next step and I will have a great day at the open day at the range making projectiles........cool!

DeadHandRed
10-21-2010, 07:46 PM
i guess there was a silver lining to all that shaking and destruction eh..

nice score

Char-Gar
10-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Yep, that light blue/purple surface color looks just liked every ingot of pure lead I have melted. You will need to add something to it unless you are going to paper patch your bullet or shoot in a black powder muzzle loader.