PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Pour or Ladle?

nighthunter
10-17-2010, 10:40 PM
I have to admit that in the last few days has been the first I've ladle poured in a long long time. I learned to cast with a ladle and didn't mind makeing my bullets that way. I got a bottom pour about 20 years ago and the ladle just got fazed out eventually. A bottom pour can definately increase a persons production rate compared to ladle dipping. I think the ladle has the advantage of fewer defective bullets and less weight variance than the bottom pour. The reason I broke out my ladle yesterday was because in a discussion about the RG 2 and RG 4 molds it was suggested to pressure pour with a ladle. I used the ladle and pressure poured and got beautiful bullets and lots of them. I was also able to turn my Lee pot down by 4 numbers on the thermostat. Back when I was learning to cast bullets bottom pour pots were expensive and not many folks used them. Lee changed that with their line of pots. Many starting casters are learning to cast with a bottom pour pot and I'd be willing to bet that many of them have never used a ladle. Its a shame because a ladle can take the fight out of a troublesome mold. How many people on here have never used a ladle?

Nighthunter

captain-03
10-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Me! Been casting 25+ years ... never used one and do not own one ... Maybe - just Maybe I need to give it a try ....

Longwood
10-17-2010, 11:02 PM
I have to admit that in the last few days has been the first I've ladle poured in a long long time. I learned to cast with a ladle and didn't mind makeing my bullets that way. I got a bottom pour about 20 years ago and the ladle just got fazed out eventually. A bottom pour can definately increase a persons production rate compared to ladle dipping. I think the ladle has the advantage of fewer defective bullets and less weight variance than the bottom pour. The reason I broke out my ladle yesterday was because in a discussion about the RG 2 and RG 4 molds it was suggested to pressure pour with a ladle. I used the ladle and pressure poured and got beautiful bullets and lots of them. I was also able to turn my Lee pot down by 4 numbers on the thermostat. Back when I was learning to cast bullets bottom pour pots were expensive and not many folks used them. Lee changed that with their line of pots. Many starting casters are learning to cast with a bottom pour pot and I'd be willing to bet that many of them have never used a ladle. Its a shame because a ladle can take the fight out of a troublesome mold. How many people on here have never used a ladle?

Nighthunter

Ladles are probably pretty slick, how many of you have never used a small tin can nailed to a stick?
LS

Westwindmike
10-17-2010, 11:18 PM
I have never used a ladle either. Lee bottom pour is all I've ever used.

runfiverun
10-17-2010, 11:32 PM
started with a ladle, it never occured to me that the lee pot was for bottom pour for about 5 years after i bought it.
i still break out the ladle if a mold is giving me problems, I don't always use it to pressure pour either.

HeavyMetal
10-17-2010, 11:36 PM
I've used both and, quite honestly, every caster should have both.

Ladle work best with single cavity molds, big single cavity molds and single cavity HP molds.

Why? Because speed isn't needed for these types of molds and niether is a bottom pour pot.

Granted Lee made the bottom pour affordable but for old school learning to cast nothing beats a single cavity steel mold and a ladle.

If nothing else it teachs you patience a valuable commodity when casting no many how many cavities your mold has!

My Grandfather taught me that you need to use the right tool for the job at hand. For good rifle boolits that your gonna shoot 100 of a ladle is perfect.

If you need to make 2000 45 round over a week end than a couple bottom pours and a 6 banger or two are the right tools.

Like I said every caster should have both and have experience with them!

Silent
10-17-2010, 11:38 PM
I started with a ladle, but not for casting bullets, for casting minatures. After getting my bottom pour pot, I'd much rather live with the occasional drip.

RayinNH
10-17-2010, 11:38 PM
I started casting in 1972. I used a ladle up until about six years ago when my wife bought me a bottom pour for Christmas. That's all I use now. Maybe I should revisit the ladle. It is surprisingly fast once you get the tempo going. Quite frankly it's almost as fast as a bottom pour if your bench is the proper height for good visibility, just slightly below waist high...Ray

Dale53
10-17-2010, 11:56 PM
I started out with a ladle but as soon as I could afford one, I got a bottom pour pot. I currently have two RCBS 22lb pots. I have successfully poured everything from 45 gr .22 caliber bullets to 522 grs 45/70 and 45/90 bullets (match quality, too).

If I had to go back to a ladle, I believe I would "take gas":veryconfu

Dale53

mustanggt
10-18-2010, 12:05 AM
I have 3 20#. One for hardball, one for lino and one for 20-1. I use a ladel for the big 500+ bullets that is what MLV told me when I emailed him about my weight inconsitancies. That got my weights well within 2 grs. I can tighten up my procedure and get it down to 1gr. Like the speed of the bottom pour when churning out 45's and 38's.

mooman76
10-18-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm the other way. Have always used a ladle and yes it's quite fast after you've done it awhile. I can't imagine a bottom pour being much faster if any but top por is fast enough for me. I don't pressure pour either and yes I have poured from a can nailed to a stick. That's how I do ingots.

looseprojectile
10-18-2010, 12:32 AM
I started casting with a Coleman stove and iron pot and dipper in 1956 for .357" and .30 cal rifle.
In the mid sixties I was given a Lyman #63 bottom pour ten pound pot and have been using it ever since. Just like the Energizer Bunny. I don't even own a dipper. Twenty pounds would be nice with larger boolits.
I never have a problem getting excellent boolits from .257" - .578" .
Pot and dipper is cheaper to start with though we all should try to upgrade our gear ultimately. Coleman fuel and propane has gotta be more costly than electricity, doesn't it?:drinks:

Life is good

NSP64
10-18-2010, 12:33 AM
I started with a lee drip-o-matic. Got a lyman laddle and converted my pot to laddle only now.

johnly
10-18-2010, 12:44 AM
I bat from both sides of the plate so to say... If I'm looking for production I'll use the bottom pour. If I'm casting big bullets like the 1000 grain 20 bore bullets, a ladle is about the only thing that will work. Same goes for HP molds where a quick hot fill of the cavity is needed.

John

herbert buckland
10-18-2010, 12:55 AM
I have both but my best results by far for larger bullet is the Lyman ladle with the cast iron pot heated with gass,the Lee botom pore is good for lighter pistol bullets and I suspect one of the larger botom pore pot would work on larger bullets as well ,it was the price diffrence that got me to change to the Lyman ladle and my castings have never been beter so this is it for me

mpmarty
10-18-2010, 01:59 AM
Started in the sixties with a Lyman bottom pour pot. Tried a ladle and hated it. I cast 460 diameter big boolits just fine with my LEE pro 20 pound pot. Also a whole bunch of 40 and 45 caliber pistol boolits in six hole molds and I would never go back to a ladle. I think the alloy cools too much in ladle pouring and it's hard to keep the mold hot enough or cast fast enough. My LEE doesn't drip a bit either. I modified it just a bit and it will fill molds as fast as I can move them past the spout.

Bret4207
10-18-2010, 07:04 AM
I cannot imagine not having access to a ladle. Bottom pouring is way slower for me. I have to get the BP pot up to almost eye level to be able to see what I'm doing, that or crouch down or maybe sit and there's just no way sitting works for me.

I think each method has it's place. I also don't see how a BP is all that much faster than a ladle.

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-18-2010, 07:33 AM
I've never used a bottom pour . . .

excess650
10-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Bottom pour? You're kidding, right? I never liked the look of dirty bullets, or bottom pour spouts that would clog or freeze. Both of my 20# are plugged and I use a ladle exclusively.

Electric is the way to go for casting bullets! I tried the Coleman stove when I was a teenager, and always ended up with a headace afterwards. I didn't realize that I was getting that much carbon monoxide casting outdoors!

When casting match grade BPCRS bullets from 315gr -580gr I discovered that consistent weight was a function of consistent metal and mold temperatures. My favorite ladle is an older Lyman that has had the spout drilled out larger. I have a RCBS that doesn't get used much, and a couple of Rowell bottom pour ladles reserved for making ingots.

Whitespider
10-18-2010, 08:21 AM
I've never used a bottom pour...
...I've never owned or used an electric pot...
......I've never used or owned a casting thermometer... or hardness tester...

Yes, I've used a tin can nailed to a stick (and a few other improvisations).

jonk
10-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Bottom pour for all hard alloys and 250 gr or smaller molds.

Ladle for soft lead and 250 gr or larger (meaning for muzzleloaders or my black powder cartridge rifles.)

white eagle
10-18-2010, 09:20 AM
never had to use anything but a ladle
for my type of casting it works perfect
no hurry no big production runs

44man
10-18-2010, 09:27 AM
I am one of the few that can't get a steady flow of good boolits from bottom pour. Too many problems and I blame the non production pots we can buy cheaper.
Heating elements are on the sides of the pots and the spouts can clog or cool.
I use nothing more then 2 cavity molds and have run 3 at once but mostly use 2 because of getting 3 up to temp. Life would be easier it 2 hot plates and ovens were used so both molds are ready at the same time. I would probably pop the breaker! :groner:
I love the ladle but do not believe in the "pressure" pour from them. I believe in the ability of the boolit to draw molten lead from the ladle instead of a cooling sprue.
I get the mold to 500* and the first boolit will be perfect and continue until the pot is empty. I have run a 20# pot dry without a single reject. If I use 2 molds I put the second on top of my little oven but use a propane torch to heat it more.
Sure, I can get a reject now and then but is my fault with time, like going to the bathroom. I shut the hotplate off when I start casting so I can't put the mold back in to stay hot. The torch brings it back fast, just don't hold heat in one place, play it all over the mold and plate.
I posted once about letting the sprue just set and swinging my arm 4 to 5 times and cutting. Yes it works. Time means nothing because speed casting for quantity can mean too many rejects back in the pot or lead smears on the plate and mold. I want everything clean for the whole session and do not have any lead splashes anywhere. My pot and bench look the same after casting as it did before.
There is no way I can cut a sprue with a gloved hand, the lead is too hard, it takes a bunch of light taps to cut mine. I will not cut molten lead!

MT Gianni
10-18-2010, 09:42 AM
I have a RCBS mold that would tease me with rounded bases. Everything else was great. I played with sprue plate tension, scribed vent lines, added tin and superfluxed more often. It was still there and more maddening varied from front to back holes. I finially got consistent bullets from going to a ladle and keeping the mold so hot the sprues were thinner than crepes. Find what the mold wants.

qajaq59
10-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Either way seems to work well with my molds. But because of arthritis I prefer the bottom pour.

luvtn
10-18-2010, 08:27 PM
I don't cast. What is pressure pouring with a ladle. Is it held high? It would seem that you'd get more pressure with a bottom spout.
luvtn

sljacob
10-18-2010, 09:52 PM
ladle only here, I have never used a bottom pour pot. with a good cadence I can cast all the boolits I need in very little time using a ladle

snuffy
10-18-2010, 10:35 PM
I do both. For mass production with 6 cav in handgun boolits, the lee pro 20 in bottom pour mode works fine. I hated their poor excuse for a mold guide, so I modified it.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/PC280113.JPG

Some molds seem to work better if ladle poured. I use them to pressure pour by rotating the mold to the upright from horizontal with the lyman ladle in contact with the sprue chamfere. Holding it there for several seconds, then separating it to form a shallow sprue puddle.

I also have a lee 20 pound melter, that does NOT have a bottom pour spout. It's used entirely with a ladle for soft lead or pure for MZ boolits. Pure seems to NEED pressure to fill out. Also lots of heat.

Let your molds tell you they need to be ladle poured with pressure. I tried my lee pro 20 as a pressure pour bottom pour, but that much lead when full made nice whiskers from the vent lines. (Lyman 358156).

noylj
10-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Started with one SAECO bottom pour, then two, then the big RCBS. Never ladled any lead and never found a need to consider it.

Bret4207
10-19-2010, 06:26 AM
Started with one SAECO bottom pour, then two, then the big RCBS. Never ladled any lead and never found a need to consider it.

For some moulds it just plain works better.

AZ-Stew
10-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Started casting RBs for muzzle loaders using a Lyman ladle, dipping lead from a pipe tobacco can heated on the gas stove in the apartment kitchen. That worked OK, but after a couple of years I bought a Lee 10lb bottom pour and have used that method with that pot, a Lee 20# and finally the RCBS 20# I have now. My casting equipment has weathered five moves and currently, the Lyman ladle is on the missing list. It's around somewhere, but I haven't seen it in years. When I find it I'll have to replace the wood handle that was chewed up by an Airedale/Schnauzer pup many years ago.

I can live with bottom pour. I have for 35 years or so. But I'd like to experiment with a ladle on a couple of moulds I've bought since the days of the tobacco can melter.

Regards,

Stew

XWrench3
10-19-2010, 09:51 PM
i bought a lee 20 pound bottom pour a couple of years ago, it was my first pot. first time i have ever casted as well. of course at first, i did nothing but bottom pour. i had to get the feel of this before i did any experimenting. :veryconfu after a while, just for grins and giggles, i tried ladel pouring. it is definitly slower than bottom pouring, and i personally think that it is more work. i really can not comment on makeing a difference in a troublesome mold, mostly because i worked the problems out of mine when i was bottom pouring. some of them were just a PITA to get working correctly. if i had known that ladel pouring would have helped back then, i may still be ladel pouring now. as of now, about the only ladel pouring i do is when i am smelting, and pouring ingots. i have a couple of large ladels to do that job, and of course, that goes quite well. i do agree though that the pb has to be no where near as hot ladel pouring over bottom pour. at least with a lee pot. the others, i can not comment on. next time i get a mold that is giving me trouble, i will try your advice though. it is always good to have another trick in your bag of fixes. last time i casted, i tried pressure molding with the bottom pour. that will definitly cure fill out problems in a mold that is giving you trouble.

Recluse
10-19-2010, 11:45 PM
I do both.

Bottom pour most of my handgun boolits. Ladle pour all of my long gun/rifle boolits as well as shotgun slugs.

:coffee:

sourceofuncertainty
10-20-2010, 12:18 AM
never had to use anything but a ladle
for my type of casting it works perfect
no hurry no big production runs

Anyone but me noticed this post reads kind of like a haiku?

Hey, that gives me an idea.

My Lee bottom pour
Countless silver droplets fall
Annoying but cheap

:D

qajaq59
10-20-2010, 09:10 AM
The ladle and a small cast iron pot is real handy to have when I want to check out an alloy. Using those I don't have to empty the the 20# bottom pour pot.

woodyubet
10-20-2010, 09:46 AM
I've only been reloading for about a year now but all I've ever used is a ladle. I'm still learning all the little lessons that most of you take for granted......The last lesson I learned was to use some Bullshop Sprue lube on the pouring spouts....It made my pouring technique a great deal smoother.

Char-Gar
10-20-2010, 09:56 AM
I have used both. High quality bullets can be produced by either method, once you get the hang of it. The bottom pour is faster and I use it for 95% of my casting. I have been casting for over 50 years.

AZ-Stew
10-20-2010, 08:14 PM
...High quality bullets can be produced by either method, once you get the hang of it...

Agreed.

I cast up about 200 311284s over the last couple of weeks using the RCBS bottom pour pot and linotype alloy. Last weekend my grandson and I weighed them. They generally fell into two groups, 203 and 204 grains. I attribute this to the two cavity mould, but they covered the entire range of 203.0 - 204.9. I tossed the outliers into the pot for re-melt. I had also taken a pocket knife to the bases to remove any sprue protrusion, being careful not to make the base unsquare with the boolit axes (that's "ak-seez", the plural of axis). I did this to ensure that the checks would make a flat, square base when seated. Anyway, at about one percent of boolit weight, I think they'll shoot pretty well. Now to get them checked, lubed and loaded.

Regards,

Stew

Bret4207
10-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Having only just started giving the BP a real try over the past year or so, I cannot for the life of me understand people saying it's all that much faster than a ladle. Now, maybe it's just me, but trying to get the stupid sprue hole someplace near the nozzle and at the same time not getting the overfill to run into the other cavities is just a frustrating exercise. I admit that not having to go to all the trouble of putting the ladle back in the pot does save me about half a nano second, but just where are you guys that have used both for some time finding all this time savings? I'm completely serious when I say I don't think there's much time savings with a BP. That is, the way I'm doing it anyway.

Am I missing something obvious?

Trifocals
10-21-2010, 07:40 AM
I started casting with a ladle years ago and admit to trying bottom pour about 15 years ago. I became disgusted with my old SAECO and early 10# Lee bottom pour pots when no matter what I tried, I could not stop them from dripping. About 3 years ago, I tried a Lee 20# bottom pour which is OK. A year ago I purchased a new Lyman 20# bottom pour which I am happy with. The bottom pour pots take a bit of fiddling with the flow adjustment and the distance from mold to pot spout to get good bullets. I use the bottom pour pots primarily for multi cavity handgun bullet molds for high production rate. For 1-2 cavity rifle bullet molds, I use the ladle. I find fewer rejects and less weight variation when using a ladle. I also have a Magma Mastercaster with 4 handgun molds, which works very well. I have a very good friend who uses bottom pour exclusively. He makes very good bullets. I believe the bottom line depends on individual casting skills, how fussy you are about the quality of your bullets and the production rate you desire. Personally, I use both ladle and bottom pour.

splattersmith
10-22-2010, 06:23 PM
I use....... aww nobody reads this far anyway. They just post after so many entries.:takinWiz:

But, I use both. Both are set up on my bench. Ladle for 1000 yard 20-1s. Bottom pour for more numerous steel target ww's and reclaimed shot lead. My bottom pour is darn close to the ladle in consistency. Ladle 20-1s are more purdy.[smilie=f:

Frank46
10-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Tried the bottom pour many times. Never could get it to work. Removed the valve stem and plugged the spout with a set screw and ladle cast ever since then. Frank

luvtn
10-26-2010, 06:42 PM
NAH, no one reads they just post. No one has answered my question/s
luvtn

wills
10-26-2010, 07:03 PM
I don't cast. What is pressure pouring with a ladle. Is it held high? It would seem that you'd get more pressure with a bottom spout.
luvtn

Hold the spout of the ladle against the sprue plate, with the ladle held upright then turn the ladle and mold to the pouring position with the spout still against the sprue plate

luvtn
10-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Wills, thank you sir. I now know what ya'll are talking about.
luvtn

fryboy
10-27-2010, 11:50 AM
actually i read the whole thread .....
i use both ... i learned with a tin can and a ladle ( of sorts ) i graduated to a plug in and pour lil semi pot , to me pressure pouring is using a 20# ( or 10# if that's what u have ) pot full of alloy for the pressure , if one pressure pours all the castings u cant help but notice the pressure is less and less as the pot empties , when using a ladle the pressure is usually all the same ( from a full ladle anyways ..the last couple of cavities will of course have less unless refilled ) to pressure pour i hold the sprue plate tight to the spout and then open , i usually only pressure pour to get a HP pin (or mold)warmed up then cast as normal and i always consider the pressure cast slugs as culls

Canuck Bob
11-03-2010, 02:18 PM
I use....... aww nobody reads this far anyway. They just post after so many entries.:takinWiz:

But, I use both. Both are set up on my bench. Ladle for 1000 yard 20-1s. Bottom pour for more numerous steel target ww's and reclaimed shot lead. My bottom pour is darn close to the ladle in consistency. Ladle 20-1s are more purdy.[smilie=f:

I read long posts front to back. I t assures a wide range of views and experiences or occasionally a peeing contest between a couple of guys (those don't get read).

thanks for your input. I'm going to start casting for a 32-20, 444 and 54 ball for my flintlock. As a newbie a stove and pot with a ladle will be my starting point. Like some guys say I'm reloading to save money, so when does it happen!

Or as many Canadians say about global warming, "What's taking so long!"

nighthunter
11-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Bob, you start saveing as soon as you start spending. The saveing part is a real good line for the little lady of the house. In truth the money I save on bullets goes for more molds, powder and primers. However, I do shoot more than most people around my area and I usually hit what I shoot at. Does it make a difference? To me it does. Work just makes the money available to do what I want in life. So far I am haveing a good time.

Nighthunter

oldhickory
11-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Ladle, I'm not coordinated enough to use a bottom pour without a mess of hot lead where I don't want it. Been ladle pouring since 1973, no need to change now.

bigted
11-15-2010, 11:43 AM
very cool postings. i also read all posts in something im interested in...like this one. looooong ago i cast for a muzzle loader and the mould handles were brass....yep ouch!!! i burned myself with almost every ball that dropped but what fun. i used an old fry pan and if memory serves i think i used an old ladle from the kitchen to pour with. balls shot fine and i had the blast of my life....burns n all

now i recently am getting back into casting so i bought a lee bp pot and cast some 400 and 500 gr 45 cal boolits. first bunch went rite back into the pot but after the smoke cleared i started getting good boolits.

i have ordered a lyman pot and a ladle to use with it now...dog sled is taking its time getting here...along with another mould...rcbs this time. maybe i can get some closer to factory claimed weights with it...and diameters as well. or maybe ill just have to fire up the yankee hone and bore em out to dia i want.

havin a blast anyway and that is the best to hope for.

bigted
11-15-2010, 11:45 AM
oh and thanks for the "preassure pouring" explanation. i wondered what this could be as well. i thought that when you used the ladle to pour from that you put the spout of the ladle against the mould sprue plate anyway...i got a bunch to learn huh?

detox
02-26-2013, 07:27 PM
I like to shake the mold and ladle together while i pour, so i use a ladle. I have never tried bottom pour, but I am shure it does well or RCBS, Lee, and Lyman would not make them.

William Yanda
02-27-2013, 11:15 AM
I use....... aww nobody reads this far anyway. They just post after so many entries.

Are you telling me it is ok to skip some of the entries? Aw...... If only I had known.

Bill

detox
02-27-2013, 07:25 PM
I found this tread using google search then posted without realizing how old it was. Good tread

It is more difficult to remove contaminants from bottom pour pots when fluxing. With my standard pot it is far easier to scrape the inside wall of pot when fluxing. I use only RCBS two cavity molds and a ladle does just as good with these.

Tbird
02-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Never ladle poured..

Springfield0612
02-28-2013, 05:38 PM
I just started, but I don't see the need to buy a $70 pot that has a pour spout when I got my cast iron pot, and cast iron spoon for free, and an electric hot plate for $5 at Goodwill! Works like a champ.

05-01-2016, 07:01 AM
So reading everything I can find on ladle vs bottom pour pot, I came upon this old thread. I am resurrecting this old thread to ask, is there a consensus from a quality (consistency) standpoint that one is better than another? I don't care about speed, which one makes more consistent weight single cavity, bullet to bullet?

gnostic
05-01-2016, 10:56 AM
I've tried bottom pour three times in 50 years, with three different brands of pots, unsuccessfully. The quality of 'pressure pouring' with a ladle blows away the bottom pour pots every time. The bottom pour furnaces seem faster until you look carefully. I throw half the bullets back in the pot because they're imperfect.

TXGunNut
05-01-2016, 11:11 AM
For most casting I use bottom pour but my single cavity Lymans seem to prefer ladle casting so I'm happy to oblige them.

dondiego
05-01-2016, 12:56 PM
I've tried bottom pour three times in 50 years, with three different brands of pots, unsuccessfully. The quality of 'pressure pouring' with a ladle blows away the bottom pour pots every time. The bottom pour furnaces seem faster until you look carefully. I throw half the bullets back in the pot because they're imperfect.

You can pressure pour with a bottom pour pot............or you can ladle pour. Choices.

05-01-2016, 08:24 PM
You can pressure pour with a bottom pour pot............or you can ladle pour. Choices.

I am using my Lee 6 cavity and my Noe 4 cavity molds as single cavities for consistency in 30 caliber. I'm getting great results. I'm a target shooter, not a blaster so casting 1 cavity at a time is fine with me. My next move is an rcbs cast iron pot to make it easier to stir up a batch of alloy to pre-stage in ingot form. I was going to get a bottom pour ladle but I think instead I'm going to drill a 3/32 chamfered hole in a standard ladle and cast that way. I saw a great video of this technique on YouTube.

Blackwater
05-01-2016, 08:43 PM
I'm a ladle caster, mostly because I don't like my eyes down below the pot. I know intellectually that this isn't a real factor, but can't convince my emotions it's not. I guess we've all got our peculiarities, and this is just one of mine. I DO, however, suspect I ought to at least try it. Just haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

ascast
05-01-2016, 09:20 PM
I have never used a bottom pour as a bottom pour. Oddly, I own several. I have a machine for pistol pills and ladle for the rifles. I guess I'll try it one day.

melloairman
05-01-2016, 10:41 PM
Here is another link for you .Marvin
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?302398-Bottom-pour-to-ladle

noylj
05-02-2016, 04:04 AM
After casting for 40 years, bottom pour has always been better FOR ME. Maybe not for you, but far-and-away better for ME.

05-02-2016, 08:24 AM
Ok, you guys keep saying one or the other has been "better for you" but I don't get the sense that you're talking about higher quality, more consistent boolits. I get more of a sense that one is easier or more convenient than the other for you. Convenience or comfort aside, which process has the potential for making a more consistent boolit? Ladle or a bottom pour leadpot?

Gus Youmans
05-02-2016, 01:50 PM

Either method can be used to cast bullets of equally high quality. I have used both methods to produce match quality bullets but prefer ladle casting, so I have taken the time learn the nuances of the techniques required to produce top quality bullets using a ladle. Therefore, ladle casting is "better" for me.

Gus Youmans

Mytmousemalibu
05-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Like many, I started with a bottom pour, a Lee 4-20. It hasn't been without its frustrations. Not to long ago, I tried NavyVet's method of ladle casting with a small condiment ladle with a small hole drilled into the center/bottom of it to effectively make it a bottom pour ladle and one that can easily dip out of the deepness of a bottom pour pot. Ever since, I have kept the needle on my pot tightened to the point of it being locked shut because I am getting wonderful bullets using this simple and cheap ladle and not at any slower rate than bottom pour really! Plus, I am much more comfortable at the bench, no stooping over to watch the spout, no drippy spigot, etc. I am really loving this method!

melloairman
05-02-2016, 10:37 PM
Ok, you guys keep saying one or the other has been "better for you" but I don't get the sense that you're talking about higher quality, more consistent boolits. I get more of a sense that one is easier or more convenient than the other for you. Convenience or comfort aside, which process has the potential for making a more consistent boolit? Ladle or a bottom pour leadpot?

I am getting better base fill out and fewer rejects with the ladle . Marvin

05-03-2016, 09:30 PM
Like many, I started with a bottom pour, a Lee 4-20. It hasn't been without its frustrations. Not to long ago, I tried NavyVet's method of ladle casting with a small condiment ladle with a small hole drilled into the center/bottom of it to effectively make it a bottom pour ladle and one that can easily dip out of the deepness of a bottom pour pot. Ever since, I have kept the needle on my pot tightened to the point of it being locked shut because I am getting wonderful bullets using this simple and cheap ladle and not at any slower rate than bottom pour really! Plus, I am much more comfortable at the bench, no stooping over to watch the spout, no drippy spigot, etc. I am really loving this method!

Yes, this is where I think I am headed.

TXGunNut
05-03-2016, 10:31 PM
I enjoy both methods, both take a little work to learn but I'm working on it. Ladle casting is therapeutic and enjoyable with a single or double cavity mould, some of my big moulds seem to do better that way. The 4-6 cavity moulds seem to be built for speed and I get that with a bottom pour pot. Bottom line I don't think it matters what works for me, I want to use the method that works best for the mould. I make notes in my book after casting sessions so I don't have to learn a mould's preferences each time I use it.

05-04-2016, 06:54 AM
I enjoy both methods, both take a little work to learn but I'm working on it. Ladle casting is therapeutic and enjoyable with a single or double cavity mould, some of my big moulds seem to do better that way. The 4-6 cavity moulds seem to be built for speed and I get that with a bottom pour pot. Bottom line I don't think it matters what works for me, I want to use the method that works best for the mould. I make notes in my book after casting sessions so I don't have to learn a mould's preferences each time I use it.

Exactly. I'm using either of my multi-cavity molds for 30 caliber as single cavity and getting consistent results but I am working towards converting to ladle casting from a cast iron pot. It'll just give me more room to stir up a mix and it won't drip. I've watched a couple Youtube videos of ladle casting and it appeals to me, especially the idea of a 3/32" hole in the bottom of the ladle. If the results are better then it'll be bottom pour ladle from now on. If the results are not better then I'll go back to bottom pour pot. Whatever the mold tells me it wants is what it'll get.

USSRSNPR
05-06-2016, 08:48 AM
I was taught how to cast ladle dipping. Years later when I started up on my own I got the LEE bottom pour, after months of dealing with drippy messes and pin "freeze-up" I drained the pot, pulled all of the pin and mechanism out, plugged the hole and went back to the ladle. No more problems! I won't go back.

blikseme300
05-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Lee 4-20 for me & the little Lee ladle is worthless for anything but 177 pellets. 4man got it - as long as the melt in the ladle is hot, i.e. big ladle. I wrote a thermo analysis of casting that got flamed a lot but as R5R said - replace all the air with melt. Got to keep the melt hot enough to flow. To cast BIG boolits from a BP, you need a bigger hole in the bottom.

Exactly what I discovered inadvertently and I now think of casting as pouring a heat stream. Small cavities are filled well enough using the manufacturers units but going beyond about 250grains, not so much. I make my own BP pots and I made one with a spout hole diameter of 1/8" for casting ingots. When I started casting for the 45-70 and 458WM my old faithful 70# unit with a 2mm spout produced too many rejects so I chewed on this a while thinking of another way to get this done. My thinking settled on giving the ingot pot a try for the 400+ grain casting so this is what I did. This was the answer to the problem I was having and it dawned on me that the rate of flow of the molten alloy limits what size cavities can be effectively filled.

country gent
05-06-2016, 09:50 PM
It depends what Im casting most pitol sized bullets do great either way bottom pour or ladle. I have cast them both ways with equal results. For long for caliber bullets 180-240 grn 30 cal, 400 + 40cal, 360 38s, and 500+ 45s the ladle gives me more consistant results and better bullets. My ladles have the spouts opened up to .205 dia size in them now 2 rcbs 1 lyman. This gives a good flow and fast fill of the cavity. I dont pour a sprue but pour a ladle full of lead letting excess run of back into the pot, this keeps the bullet molten longer allowing better fillout and gasses to exit. My mould sprue plates are vented to control this run off. This also gives a very consistant sprue when ladle empties. I cast mostly 20-1 at around 700*-725* from a big pot. Bullets consistancy is more temps ( Mould and alloy) cadence, and tecnique than the pour style. I perfer a heavier cast iron or steel ladle as it helps hold the heat better. Im considering making one slightly bigget than the rcbs bottom pour from brass 1/8' thick stock. should hold heat better and pour very well.

dragon813gt
05-06-2016, 09:54 PM

The answer is, it depends on the individual. What works for me might not work for you. It's not an automated process so there are human variables involved. Since adding a PID to my bottom pour pot the majority of bullets cast fall w/in +- .5 grains. This is more than tight enough. For hunting bullets I will weight sort so they are all the same weight. Even then there has been no discernible difference on target. I do it because it makes me feel better that I've done it.

These are the results w/ a brand new mold. Cadence and pot temperature were being worked out on the fly. Mold preheat on the hot plate was a guess as well. W/ a bullet this weight the variations don't matter.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/A91B05E2-72CC-45BC-B090-91D8239B73EA.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/A91B05E2-72CC-45BC-B090-91D8239B73EA.jpg.html)

Boolseye
05-07-2016, 11:18 AM
With a good hot mold and good clean alloy I see no difference in quality between a ladle and a bottom pour set-up. If anything I get better boolits out of my bottom pour. Granted, my ladle set-up is very rudimentary. I love both for their respective strengths-I fire up my Lee melter and ladle for small batches with 2 cavity molds, my 4-20 for more production.

popper
05-07-2016, 11:31 AM
I watched the vid. of the 'ladle'/hole pouring. It is basically a small bottom pour pot where you can watch the stream. He pours a large sprue. He claims 'perfect' boolits with no evidence. I prefer not to cast over an open flame but if that it what you use, fine. I would only claim ladle pouring when the mould draws melt from the ladle, not the sprue. I cannot disagree with the benefit, in certain cases, of ladle pouring.

fralic76
05-11-2016, 09:32 PM
I started with a ladle and then went to a bottom pour for productivity.