PDA

View Full Version : WWVA pan lube..somethings wrong???

Gun Nut
10-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Ok I went through lube list and had all the stuff to make this so I made a batch today,and had a ?
By the way, I intend to pan lube with this.
I used :1 pound parrifin,1 pound vasaline,8 oz of lee liquid alox, and all the carnuba wax from a fith of Makers mark bottel

I was using double broiler setup, the parifin&vasiline melted great but the carnuba and lla took quite a while, but did melt. so when all melted and stirred good I poured it all into a baking pan to make one big block.
all was good until it cooled and I poped it out only to find all the canrnuba and some of the lla was all seperated at the bottom of the block!

Is the any way to keep these blended,even when sitting to cool?
I have seched and found that ivory and hand made soap may be the answere,but am not sure?????????:confused:

geargnasher
10-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Sodium stearate or stearic acid my help. You can get stearic acid at places that sell candlemaking supplies (aka most hobby/craft stores), or just grate some Ivory soap, about a tablespoon for what you have there should work. The only problem with Ivory soap is that it takes over 300 degrees to melt the stuff in and a double boiler won't cut it. SS and SA will dissolve readily in a double-boiler, though.

Gear

runfiverun
10-17-2010, 12:11 PM
try blending the ingredients in when the b-wax is in a plasic state not melted.

and don't use the lla from lee next time. you just seen the carrier at the bottom.

i blend moly sticks white lith b-wax and parrafin together and if i try to do so while liquid i get separate layers.
but by taking the wax and parrafin to a mushy/plastic state i can blend in the moly properly,and i can add the carnuba [melted separately] at this time.
jowever if i re-melt the mix the moly tries to fall out of the mix.
same problem you are gonna have.
try the xlox from lars it will blend much better for you and stay in suspension.
you are gonna pan lube with this stuff and everytime you re-melt it your gonna have the same problem.
try adding a bit of white lithium grease to your mix next time j[ust a spoonfull] it will soften your lube a bit and take place of the alox you've lost.
stir it in while the mix is cooling.