PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence #8 Magnum shot alloy mix?

Canuck Bob
10-16-2010, 09:50 PM
I purchased 50#'s of the above to use as the basis for my first casting lead.

My research suggests that this alloy will be about 5-6% antimony and rich in trace arsenic. I have access to some scrap flashing lead and want to alloy this with the shot. It appears that the high arsenic content can cause uneven contraction with reported driving band cracking.

The bullet will be an LBT 32 caliber 120 grain plain base in a 32-20 Winchester 92 maxing at 1400 to 1500 fps. The loads will start out as mild compression powder charges in a slower powder for this cartridge. All plinking bullets but accuracy is expected.

My question is, assuming 5% antimony in shot and the alloy adjusted for 1% tin, a 50/50 mix will get 2.5% antimony. I'm guessing this will meet all my needs and still harden with quenching if required, agree?

Also, if a slightly richer antimony mix would make a better bullet that is fine as well. The cost difference is minimal.

lwknight
10-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Its not scientific on my part but IME the 3:1 antimony:tin seems to be the ticket for good casting. More tin don't hurt and antimony without tin seems to show a grain structure.

cbrick
10-17-2010, 12:18 PM
At 5% Sb it will quench harden for sure. The As will multiply the quench hardening effect. Cutting it 50/50 should give you an alloy fairly close to CWW and would still quench harden.

Yep, this should work well for your 32-20 Winchester 92 and many other cartridges also.

There's another thread going on about using shot also. Let us know how this works out for you.

Rick