PDA

View Full Version : Whole Duck Recipe needed.

Milltown353
10-16-2010, 05:44 PM
So I shot my first duck today and I'm in the process of plucking and removing the down for a whole duck meal.

Any good recipes?

Old Goat Keeper
10-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Use any recipe for a tame duck or chicken. The only thing is that you do NOT want to over cook the duck. Make it no more than medium.

Tom

DGV
10-17-2010, 12:02 AM
I have had only fair luck roasting a whole duck. If you do try roasting, total oven time should be about 15 or so min per lb. A 2 1/2 lb duck would be 40 min. MAX. Overcook it and you can make some good rawhide shoelaces! Med rare is best. lots of moisture. bacon slices, pork fat etc. cranberry glaze works well

Bodydoc447
10-17-2010, 01:14 AM
We brine it for a few hours and then put the whole duck on the smoker. It about falls off the bone and is really, really good.

Doc

10 ga
10-21-2010, 01:17 AM
Need more info! Depends on what kind it is. The way you fix duck is not the same for a merganser as for a scoter as for a mallard as for a woodduck etc...etc... So what kind ya got? Oh yeah, any objectionable "off odur" when you eviscerated? That can be a clue. 10

Milltown353
10-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Wood Duck

10 ga
10-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Wood duck is good duck, they are choicey feeders and eat good for it. Clean well and wash out cavity and scrub with salt. rinse well. Brine for a couple hours with cup of apple or cranberry juice, 2 Tbsp. salt and water to cover, mix all well and stir a couple of times, keep in fridge to avoid spoilage. Remove from brine and drain. Stuff duck with some chopped onion, apple and potato. Rub skin with salt, pepper and butter. Heat oven to 350. Put duck in oven in covered roasting pan. Bake about 40 minutes covered then take cover off and continue baking about another 5 to 10 minutes to brown some. When the veggies used to stuff are done so is the duck, time can vary with different ovens and roasting pans. You can use one of those roasting bags if you want, they are just as good as a pan. One wood duck is kinda small, I usually do about 3 woodies, or 4 teal or 2 big ducks like Black ducks or Mallards. I like mine kinda on the rare side. Hope it turns out good, 10