PDA

View Full Version : Where do you crimp on the ranch dog .44 265gr bullet

BOOM BOOM
10-16-2010, 01:13 PM
HI,
Just starting up w/ my now mold.
The Lee production of the RANCH DOG .44-265 GR. GC. BULLET.
If I crimp into the top groove it puts most of bullet into case,reducing case capacity a lot.
So anyone had experience with this bullet, if so where do you crimp????????????

ReloaderFred
10-16-2010, 01:40 PM
On lead revolver bullets, I pretty much ignore the crimping groove and adjust my over all length to my needs and then just roll crimp into the side of the bullets. As long as you're not crimping into a lube groove, it will be fine. Others may do it differently, but it's worked for me that way since 1963........

Hope this helps.

Fred

missionary5155
10-17-2010, 06:45 AM
Good morning
It depends on your cylinder length. Dan Wesson .357 cylinders are long. So are the 41 mags. It is just a mater of finding out how long you can seat that boolet.
Another solution is to trim brass for specific boolits so the OAL is equal to the cylinder length.
I have crimped in grease grooves. It des not seem to affect accuracy in the revolvers I have done that with. My present Colt New Service 44-40 with me down here actually shoots a bit better with the boolit extended and crimed in the first GG of the saeco443 I am using. Plus opens up a bit more space for BP loads.

firefly1957
10-17-2010, 09:09 PM
I have a Lee 44-255 WHICH THEY NO LONGER CATALOG I Crimp in the first lube groove to give me more case capacity using IMR-4227 my model 29 8 3/8 barrel sends the slug over crony at 1430-1450f/s. This bullet casts at 261-2 grs. with WW and 268 with a softer alloy I use the softer alloy in 44 special at fairly low velocity.

looseprojectile
10-18-2010, 05:07 AM
I have only the 24" barreled rifle and have to crimp in the first groove to keep them short enough to cycle in the Rossi.
These same rounds shoot really good in my friends 445 supermag at 1300 fps.
He uses the front groove also. Use lotsa H110. Probably 16 - 1700 fps in the rifles.
Enough gun for me and accurate and no leading. I use Alox with a wax coat on it
for lube.

Life is good

44man
10-20-2010, 11:43 AM
I searched my boolit boxes and was out of them so I cast some yesterday.
The nose is short enough to chamber in any gun when crimped in the crimp groove. That is where I crimp because there is no sense having more case powder space with it. It is fine. I use 22 gr of 296, Felix lube and a Fed 150 primer in my SBH and it will do 3/4" all day at 50 yards, sometimes less. It will do 1-1/4" at 100. There is no need for more velocity as groups will open.
I have not chronographed it because----WHY? It is sure accurate enough and fast enough to thump any deer.
Now the Lee 310 gr has two crimp grooves so I crimp in the lower for the revolver and the upper for the Marlin.

BOOM BOOM
10-23-2010, 10:28 PM
HI,
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOU REPLIES.
44MAN --What would you guess the velocity at?
I have only Russian Unique, WC 820, & 2400 as powders. So what would suggest as a load

BY THE WAY I GOT A JOB!!!!!!!
STARTED IN AUG. TEACHING SCIENCE & MATH AT A CHARTER SCHOOL IN SLC UT.
THINGS WERE TIGHT THERE FOR A BIT.
It has kept my real busy as they have me teching 3 different grade levels in both subjects.

44man
10-24-2010, 11:11 AM
HI,
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOU REPLIES.
44MAN --What would you guess the velocity at?
I have only Russian Unique, WC 820, & 2400 as powders. So what would suggest as a load

BY THE WAY I GOT A JOB!!!!!!!
STARTED IN AUG. TEACHING SCIENCE & MATH AT A CHARTER SCHOOL IN SLC UT.
THINGS WERE TIGHT THERE FOR A BIT.
It has kept my real busy as they have me teching 3 different grade levels in both subjects.
That is a tough question. I will set the chrono up soon and post. I think 2400 will do you well if you get close to what the gun likes. It is still a good powder.
Of course I need to load the boolits I just cast! :bigsmyl2:

BOOM BOOM
11-06-2010, 10:10 PM
HI,
I will be shooting it out of my Ruger Redhhawk w/ a 7 &1/2" barrel.
Was thinking it would be better to crimp it in the 2nd lube grove. What do you think.

44man
11-07-2010, 10:13 AM
HI,
I will be shooting it out of my Ruger Redhhawk w/ a 7 &1/2" barrel.
Was thinking it would be better to crimp it in the 2nd lube grove. What do you think.
No, not needed. Never worry about boolit jump or extra powder space. This is a 50 yard group with the great boolit, 22 gr of 296, Fed 150 primer and Felix lube.

BOOM BOOM
11-07-2010, 12:52 PM
HI,
44 MAN Thank you very much for the quick reply.
Oh, that is a dream group! wish I could get ones like that at 50 yds.

44man
11-07-2010, 04:14 PM
HI,
44 MAN Thank you very much for the quick reply.
Oh, that is a dream group! wish I could get ones like that at 50 yds.
I am so happy you found a job! I wish you all the luck in the world.
You can also shoot groups like that, most times it is the guy behind the gun so never give up. I am at a loss off hand many days but from a rest----LOOK OUT!
There are days when the spoon full of soup RATTLES to my mouth! [smilie=1: A coffee cup goes nuts, but then the magic time comes but it is getting less and less often.
Thank God for sandbags!