PDA

View Full Version : just some 45 cal pics

BT Sniper
10-16-2010, 03:39 AM
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/45s005.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/45s003.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/45s004.jpg

Still working on perfecting this 45 cal die. With a cut/trimmed 40 s&w for a jacket it is easy as pie and makes beatifull 225 grain bullets. But with a untrimed 40 S&W it has been a little more challenging. Here is some of my solutions to not trimming the 40S&W jacket and using 175 grain cast boolit core.

For all of you interested in making 45s from the 40 S&W it seems bullet weights under 260 will greatly benifit from trimming the jacket a bit first. I am still working on the perfect solution or combination for ease and simplisitiy without trimming the case first. Here is what i have come up with. Roll the excess jacket around the frount of the bullet, notch teh jacket as the folds will effectively shorten the jacket a bit allowing for lead to fill out, and last use a airsoft BB for filler. This is the heavy 8mm BB they call it.

I would be interested to hear you guy's opinion. I have a pretty good idea.

Looks like the notched jacket with the sharp tips, even though it looks cool as heck and would probably expand and devistate anything in it's way I think the sharp points could be potential feeding difficulties. This is just experimenting I will get the perfect XTP look for those of you that ordered it. This is just to show what can be done.

The blue one is to long of nose I'm sure to feed in a semi auto but should work great in a revolver or lever action. Probably a bit more aerodynamic from the looks of it and it still looks pretty cool.

Now the rolled over jacket has been done before and certainly completes the look of the bullet. It should feed slick as grease and will most certainly hold onto the jacket in expansion but that may hinder expansion too. Doesn't matter if just shooting paper right.

Well enjoy the pics. Really does go to show that a bit of imagination can go a long way in this hobby. You guys will start looking at commercial bullets differently when you start making your own.

small bullet is the 40 cal 185 grain for compair

Good shooting

:swagemine:

BT

BT Sniper
10-16-2010, 03:47 AM
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/45s002.jpg

Here is some bullets made from trimmed 40S&W brass jacket next to a untrimmed one at far right. The trimmed jacket bullet forms up very easily. Trimming jackets can be very easy, don't know why everyone is affraid of this step. With the mini chop saw and a case trimmer to hold the case it goes very fast. Like 500-1k per hour. In a couple hours you have a months supply of jackets or more.

Maybe the trim die will catch on that was pretty cool too. Maybe I can make somthing that works in the press that is very fast. We'll see.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/45andcams013.jpg

Here is the untrimmed case again. It can be done :). Weight is around 250 grains.

BT

Jailer
10-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Nice work, those look great!

How are you rolling the edge of the jacket over?

bdbullets
10-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Looks great Brian.

par0thead151
10-17-2010, 11:52 PM
WOW.
i cant wait to get my hands on a finished product and make some of my own as well.
this is by far the coolest thing i have seen in a long time!
keep up the innovation and great work!

buck1
10-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Did you ever get any up to .452?

sourceofuncertainty
10-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Nice work, those look great!

How are you rolling the edge of the jacket over?

+1 to this question - that's a neat idea; I'm very curious to know how you did that.

BT Sniper
10-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Yep on the .452.

The rolled jacket. I'll have to get to later. It has been done and posted here quite a while ago.

BT

Spanners
07-16-2011, 07:59 PM
SOrry to drag up and old post, but with the 8mm BB, do you seat that in a std hollow punch bullet as you point form, then run into your notching die?

they are amazing! just want I want to make :)

kappy
07-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Far and away the most awesome thing I've seen today.

kombayotch
07-17-2011, 12:32 AM
You're creating something high end that can't be found off the shelf, out of materials that are commonly available, with relatively inexpensive tools that work in equipment they already have. Stuff like this is what inspires people to get into swagging. Definitely worth resurrecting the post!

BT Sniper
07-17-2011, 12:34 AM
SOrry to drag up and old post, but with the 8mm BB, do you seat that in a std hollow punch bullet as you point form, then run into your notching die?

they are amazing! just want I want to make :)

No problem on the old post. I'll have to do some thinking/remember just how I did that. It can probably be acomplished one of severial ways using the notch die. I would have to try and dupicate it agian to know for sure. I sould really wright down some of these things.

I know it was not difficult.

BT

Spanners
07-17-2011, 12:37 AM
No problem on the old post. I'll have to do some thinking/remember just how I did that. It can probably be acomplished one of severial ways using the notch die. I would have to try and dupicate it agian to know for sure. I sould really wright down some of these things.

I know it was not difficult.

BT

Please make construction notes as these designs are really unique

BT Sniper
07-17-2011, 12:38 AM
I couldn't have fit the .323 BB into the HP after the bullet was already formed. So I am sure I must have

1. seated the core
2. dropped in the airsoft bb
3. notched it
4. formed the bullet using a concaved nose punch, maybe flat?

That's my best guess at the moment.

BT