PDA

View Full Version : eds red

adrians
10-15-2010, 11:49 PM
hello, what makes up eds red cleaning solvent and can i make it at home?
iv,e heard alot of good revues on this stuff and would like to try and make some myself ,a recipe would be wonderfull thanks and have a great night .adrians:twisted::rolleyes::twisted:

Photoguy67
10-15-2010, 11:58 PM
CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS
#64741-49-9, or may substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or
equivalent, (aka "Varsol")

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

(Optional up to 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, OK to
substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

MIXING INSTRUCTIONS FOR "ER" BORE CLEANER:

Mix outdoors, in good ventilation. Use a clean 1 gallon metal,
chemical-resistant, heavy gage PET or PVC plastic container. NFPA
approved plastic gasoline storage containers are also OK. Do NOT use
HDPE, which is permeable, because the acetone will eventually evaporate.
The acetone in ER will also attack HDPE, causing the container to
collapse, making a heck of a mess!

Add the ATF first. Use the empty container to measure the other
components, so that it is thoroughly rinsed. If you incorporate the
lanolin into the mixture, melt this carefully in a double boiler, taking
precautions against fire. Pour the melted lanolin it into a larger
container, rinsing the lanolin container with the bore cleaner mix, and
stirring until it is all dissolved.

I recommend diverting a small quantity, up to 4 ozs. per quart of the
50-50 ATF/kerosene mix for optional use as an "ER-compatible" gun oil.
This can be done without impairing the effectiveness of the remaining
mix.

LABEL AND NECESSARY SAFETY WARNINGS:

RIFLE BORE CLEANER CAUTION: FLAMMABLE MIXTURE
HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN

1. Flammable mixture. Keep away from heat, sparks or flame.

2. FIRST AID, If swallowed DO NOT induce vomiting, call physician
immediately. In case of eye contact immediately flush thoroughly with
water and call a physician. For skin contact wash thoroughly.

3. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid breathing vapors or spray mist.
It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner
inconsistent with its labelling. Reports have associated repeated and
prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and
nervous system damage. If using in closed armory vaults lacking forced
air ventilation wear respiratory protection meeting NIOSH TC23C or
equivalent. Keep container tightly closed when not in use.

rollmyown
10-17-2010, 03:57 AM
I've never heard (in Australia) of Aliphatic Mineral Spirits or Stoddard Solvent. Are either of these the same as Mineral turpentine (oil based paint thinner) or Methylated Spirits (methyl alcohol)?

rhbrink
10-17-2010, 05:10 AM
I like the original formula best expecially for boolits.

tranny fluid
kerosene
turpintine (the real stuff)

Might be easier to find down under too. I don't generally use acetone unless some plastic is involved or want to really thin it down some. Never used the lanolin either but could see where it could be usefull, if I were to use it I believe that I would make up a another smaller batch and keep seperate and use to see if it really makes a difference or not. Plain ole Ed's Red is pretty good stuff about all that I use anymore for a cleaner and general purpose gun oil.

ricksplace
10-17-2010, 07:14 AM
I have been shooting for 40+ years and had never heard of eds red until I joined this site. Now it is pretty much all I use.

My mix is 1 litre each of varsol, kerosene, and ATF. That's it. I don't use the turpentine (way too stinky) or the acetone (I shoot very little shotgun).

I use Sweets for removing copper fouling.

The Eds Red is unbelievable for removing powder fouling and caked on carbon fouling.

skeet1
10-17-2010, 08:47 AM
rollmyown,
I would guess that mineral spirits would be the same as mineral turpentine (oil based paint thinner).

Skeet1

Wally
10-17-2010, 08:50 AM
I use ATF fluid cut with WD-40. as it doesn't have a pugnent odor. I have two containers with narrow spouts (used Lee Liquid Alox containers) that let me apply drops of each on a patch...works superbly.

Bret4207
10-17-2010, 09:28 AM
The easy way is ATF/Diesel/Mineral Spirits (Varsol= varnish solvent). Real turpentine??? Wow, haven't seen that in some time. To me that smells nearly as good as the old Hoppes and brings back lots of good memories. Why is everything "deodorized" today? When I smell real turps it takes me right back to the old carpenters shop we used to go to, real manila rope had an odor that takes me back to the "rope locker" in out old hardware store- 660 foot spools or rope fed up through 3 floors to the main lobby of the store, 1/4"-2" rope.

Man, I miss the old days.

Tazman1602
10-17-2010, 10:37 AM
I still have bottles of the old Hoppes Bret. Bought a case of it 20 years ago and am down to my last bottle. Whenever I clean a gun with it my wifes face just lights right up as it DOES bring back good memories.

For the life of me I don't understand why everything has to have "no smell" to it. I miss the old days too man..................

To the original poster, didn't mean to hijack your thread, if you get some Ed's Red mixed up you will never go back to the bottled stuff, it works really well.

Here's a good link to Eds Red mix:

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm

.......and if you just want to buy some to try Brownells now sells it:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=19936/Product/_ED_S_RED__BORE_CLEANER

Art

The easy way is ATF/Diesel/Mineral Spirits (Varsol= varnish solvent). Real turpentine??? Wow, haven't seen that in some time. To me that smells nearly as good as the old Hoppes and brings back lots of good memories. Why is everything "deodorized" today? When I smell real turps it takes me right back to the old carpenters shop we used to go to, real manila rope had an odor that takes me back to the "rope locker" in out old hardware store- 660 foot spools or rope fed up through 3 floors to the main lobby of the store, 1/4"-2" rope.

Man, I miss the old days.

10 ga
10-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Have used the Eds Red for a while. I mix a batch and do 1/2 with acetone and no lanolin and the other 1/2 batch with lanolin and no acetone. With acetone for cleaning actions and bores and the w/o aceton with lanolin for general cleaning of surfaces and short term storage. 10 ga

Typecaster
10-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Old Spice or Hoppe's…the great decision.

Richard

geargnasher
10-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Anybody know where to get Benzene? Make Hoppe's #9 what it used to be.

As for Ed's Red, I love how everyone says "yeah, I use it, just mix diesel fuel and draino..." Ok, I exaggerate, but really, there is a chemistry to Ed's formula, and you might not get best results substituting things too far away from the original "two+, two-" ingredients. If you're using WD-40 and ATF, you aren't using Ed's Red.

I searched out products by the CAS# listed in the original recipe and discovered that plain odorless mineral spirits sold by Ace Hardware have the same CAS# as Aliphatic mineral spirits. K1 kerosene, Dexron II ATF, and acetone are easy to find at the hardware store.

I mix Ed's by the gallon, have a small parts washer filled with it, and haven't found anything better for powder/wad fouling or cutting boolit lube residue.

Gear

budman46
10-21-2010, 12:08 PM
geargnasher...

re. making hoppe's what it used to be:

sorry to say that benzene was listed as a known carcinogen over 30 years ago...i know because i was an analytical chemist charged with analyzing for minute traces of the stuff in my company's products...not worth it, friend!

budman

ignaorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...

MtGun44
10-21-2010, 10:11 PM
You really don't want to be using benzene, a serious carcinogen, as stated.

Lost a chilhood friend to cancer at 65 years old (many years ago). He used cheap
benzene as a money saving replacement for Coleman stove and lantern fuel for
decades. . . . . . . can't prove the connection, but ----

Bill

SPRINGFIELDM141972
10-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Has anyone used Ed's in a ultrasonic cleaner?

Regards,
Everett