PDA

View Full Version : Hard Lube

tophet1
10-15-2010, 10:09 PM
I have just made up some Lube as per http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=76911&highlight=crayons

It has come out quite hard and would not be much use at room temperatures. I don't want to go to the expense or trouble of installing a heater. Is there an additive that will make it softer ?

Matt3357
10-15-2010, 10:56 PM
I've heard of guys added Vaseline to it to soften it up. I am sure someone much more experienced than I am will be by shortly to help out.

Matt

fryboy
10-15-2010, 11:54 PM
vaseline , oil , grease , i'd start small and work ur way softer , if u accidentally get it too soft u can always add some more wax ( of one kind or another ) the regular version is basically one to one wax to vaseline , that mixture is a bit soft IMHO , i'm just the opposite lolz i tend to like it a lil harder ( gets a lil warm here in the summer ) and it's easier for me to store lubed boolits if they have a harder lube

reloader28
10-16-2010, 09:07 AM
I would say vaseline too.
I read here somewhere to start with 10%

GabbyM
10-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Ditto: Since it's a Vaseline - Wax lube to begin with I'd simply add Vaseline until you reach desired consistency. I’m surprised that with 1/3rd Vaseline it’s hard. Would guess a 20 ml spoon full would be plenty and once it hit’s the saturation point of the wax it will get soft in a hurry. Just guessing. . I’ve not worked with Vaseline so not sure how much it effects viscosity.

Also lube in a cake or especially inside a glass jar as you poke your finger into it will seam a lot harder than it will act in a lube sizer after you apply pressure to it. So it may be softer than you think. For instance the lube I make flows at between 110 to 120 F and I can’t push the blunt end of a chop stick into it but about 3mm. With that rudimentary test. If you can penetrate your lube with a spoon or stick I’d give it a try in your sizer before adding very much Vaseline. Lube with any oil in it is always softer on the bullet after running through a lube pump than in the poured cake.

Beeswax will vary in hardness but no more than compensating a spoon of oil one way or another per pound of wax.

Lube Like Lars White Label BAC is quite a bit more firm than 50/50 but will still run through a sizer lube pump in warm weather.

tophet1
10-17-2010, 07:03 AM
Well I added 200 grams more Vaseline and another tablespoon of STP Oil and Voila. All is good.

Many thx for your replys.