PDA

View Full Version : "Tip Up" 45-70

6.5 mike
10-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Stopped at Bass Pro on the way back from the boat on wensday & got one of these. A Traditions tip up, comes with syn camo stock & forearm w/ sling studs, hammer extention, brushed s/s barrel & receiver, mount ,rings & a 3 x 9 x 40 scope. $385.00 out the door in Al (damn 10% sales tax). Also has fiber optic adjustable sight , very nice recoil pad.
Took it to the range today, amoung other, to give it a try. Was very pleased with the results, first shot with rem 405 gr "j" loads took the red center dot out of a 3 in shoot & see stick on at 50 yds with the barrel sights, others stayed right around it. Put the scope on & with the pp'ed load for my sharps could easily shoot 3 rd groups you could cover with a half dollar coin. It did this with both a warm & cold bbl. Trigger is about 4 # with no creep & was able to do this at 50 & 100 yds both.
When I cleaned it on wensday the first patch had no drag or pulling & could feel a definte tapper from chamber to muzzle. Slugs 0.449 x 0.455. If some one was looking for a good knock around rifle or wanted to try a 45-70, this might be a good choice. The way the stock is it does'nt matter if your right or wrong handed. Figure it would ruin bambi's day real fast. :popcorn:

docone31
10-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Mike,
Good for you!
Gotta link?
I bet paper will work also.

6.5 mike
10-15-2010, 08:42 PM
www.traditionsfirearms.com & the shooting was with a lee 405 gr pb, 2 wraps tracing paper, w-w primer & 25 grs 5744. [smilie=w: forgot r-p cases.