PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Trapdoor breechblock pin

mazo kid
10-15-2010, 04:10 PM
I picked up a bunch of Trapdoor parts a few years ago and have been unable to release the rusted-in firing pins in 3 of the breech blocks. I have soaked in Kroil for days. Has anyone used the electrolytic method for removing rust? Do you think it might work in this application? Guess I'll just have to try it and see. Looking for any advice you can offer.

TCLouis
10-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Try a net search using "rust removal" and "sodium carbonate".

I'll look for my link in the mean time

leftiye
10-15-2010, 10:57 PM
The electrolytic rust removal thing has been described in detail (I can't remember it all myself) in several threads here. A search might come up with it. I'd say that if you can budge those firing ipns even a little that kroil should eventually free them.

Frank46
10-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Have you removed the firing pin retaining screw? on the right side of the breech block there is what looks like a small plate inletted into the block. Remove the screw and plate and the pin should be able to be removed. If you have then soak in kroil or kerosene to free it up. Hope this helps. Frank

mazo kid
10-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks guys. I do have the electrolytic method bookmarked and will try some of your tips. The pins are rusted in TIGHT!

Molly
10-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Gempler's rust remover has wrung praises on one of these theads. Do a search for some impressive before and after photos. It sure worked well for me. Try www.gemplers.com. Or call 1-800-382-8473.

You might also try searching for the citric acid cleaner solution that is getting loud praises on another thread.

MtGun44
10-18-2010, 11:43 PM
You may have guns that were intentionally disabled by putting iodine into the firing pin
tunnel to disable the guns for drill purposes. May be nearly impossible to fix as it was
intended to be permantly disabling so college ROTC students could not activate them.

Apparently this was somewhat common for the trapdoors, reportedly VERY corrosive and
"impossible" to remove. I'd try phosporic acid (Naval Jelly), too.

Good luck!

BIll

Molly
10-19-2010, 11:37 PM
As an afterthought, you might consider using an ultrasonic cleaner on them, if you can locate one near you. They're used by jewelry shops, etc. Talk the jeweler into letting them vibrate overnight (if you can), and see what you get.

Bambeno
11-01-2010, 02:53 AM
Have you tried to drive them in a little with a punch? Sometimes if you do they will break free enough to be driven back out then.

missionary5155
11-01-2010, 04:11 AM
Good morning
I have had some sucess with kerosine and brake fluid down here in Peru.
But those old 100 year in place Breach Block pins can be stubborn.

bob208
11-01-2010, 07:15 PM
trapdoor firing pins were known for rusting in place. that is why they went to a al.bronze pin.
the last one i had we drilled out the pin. made a new one out of stainless steel.

Tom-ADC
11-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Don't laugh but when I get something like that stuff and rusted I use "Oil of Wintergreen" to get it unstuck. It has never let me down. old aircraft mechanic trick.Plus it doesn't take a whole bunch to get the job done.