PDA

View Full Version : Al Nelson's G'check swage,

walltube
10-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Until I put this tool to work on some older Lyman mould boolits, I only thought I knew the definition of "Lyman out-of-round". 'Beagling' makes matters worse. Of course, without Beagling, these moulds would be nothing more than collector's items for my purposes. The down side to all this Beagling was not immediately obvious to me, shanks too increase in an uneven diameter ..duh.

An extreme was when measuring the g'check shanks of a few Beagled 311335 with a five didgit micrometer, they prooved to be more than an elipse, they measured .299 to .3015. 180 deg. from the parting line. Seating and pressing Gator checks with a SAECO seemed to require more effort, but I blamed that on the alloy. Not anymore I'll tell you. Perhaps other than too hard an alloy or grossly oversize shank, Al's gadget makes an otherwise eliptical shank into a nice even circumference to accept a copper gas check. Have not yet tried aluminium.

We know a misshapen boolit base can produce inaccurate boolits. The target tells no lies. Maybe now all those 'fliers' will find their way closer to the other holes.... ;)

I recommend Al Nelson's gas check seater swager.

Be of Good Cheer,

Wt.

Doc Highwall
10-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Nice to hear some feed back on this product.

walltube
10-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Pretty to look at, too! The die body has knurling my numb finger tips have fallen in love with.

Now if Al were to make for us a Redding s-type bushing, nose first boolit sizer....*sigh*.