PDA

View Full Version : neophite casting for .303B

nagantino
10-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi everyone.
I have not posted in a while. I cast for .40sw only. Its great fun and puts in many a cold night.

My problem: I bought a Lee Enfield SMLE {1916} and shoot reloaded FMJ and factory FMJ. I think the rifle deserves a little less punishment and, as I enjoy casting, I would like to cast my own bullets. I asked a couple of dealers about this.

The first one said " You must never fire lead bullets from an SMLE.

The second one had never heard of a Gas Check!

I need advice.

1. Do I need to gas check .303. Low velocity is fine for 100yds yes?

2. If I buy a Lee mold C312-185-1r will I need to size the cast bullet. Lee state that their bullets often don't need it but this was not true for .40sw.

3. Which sizer may be required in your experience?

Supply is a problem where I live so I want the order to contain all I need.

Looking forward to your advise.

Papa Jack
10-15-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm new here , but I think you may want to look in the threads down below that say "C/B in military Rifles"...

Lots of info there on 303's....I like em too, I have 4 of em....."PJ"

94Doug
10-15-2010, 02:11 PM
You may find that that rifle could slug as much as .318, so you may have slug it first. I would stick with a GC mould, probably heavy such as the Lee you mentioned, or 314299. If you are lucky, and the range of the bbl is .312-314, you can go without sizing those, but you will need to seat the gas checks. A Lee sizer would work for that as well I understand, no experience with them however.

Doug

runfiverun
10-15-2010, 08:10 PM
is this a two groove bbl?
the 5 groove bbls do fine with loverigns sized properly and 314299 sized to 313 works in mine.
my two groove has been frustrating to say the least, and is one of only three of the fifty rifles i just gave up on and buy metal cased for.
the measure and determine method is your best bet especially if you need everything at once.
i'd go with a lee push through sizer,and pan lube to start.

HangFireW8
10-15-2010, 10:52 PM
I asked a couple of dealers about this.

The first one said " You must never fire lead bullets from an SMLE.

2. If I buy a Lee mold C312-185-1r will I need to size the cast bullet. Lee state that their bullets often don't need it but this was not true for .40sw.

3. Which sizer may be required in your experience?

Doncha just love expert gun store advice?

About question #2-

I just bought a C312-185-1R and it is dropping at .314" with a mix of hard wheel weights and tin solder. (I say "hard" because that particular batch of wheel weights gave me BHN19.5 ingots). I am pretty close to Lyman #2 with this mix.

Anyway, whether you need to size or not depends on the answer to question #3, plus what will (and won't) fit in your chamber. To shoot safely, your case neck needs a solid .001" to expand and release the boolit. If your large boolit wedges the case neck into the chamber, you can have unsafe pressures. Usually this is not an issue with military rifle chambers, but can be, so it bears checking.

For question #3, you MUST measure your bore, which is not my bore nor any other SMLE owner bore, to answer that question. If you can find anything to size your bore with- roll down a .40 with a heavy plate, find a shotgun buck pellet, dribble lead into a .303 case neck with a plug behind it, whatever it takes to get that measurement before you make your order.

-HF

dromia
10-16-2010, 03:57 AM
When you know your throat/bore/groove dimensions have a look at this GB:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=80372

Its available in .311", .314" and .316" diameters and might just suit your needs, I know it will do well in my .303"s. :mrgreen: