PDA

View Full Version : Need forestock for Ishy .308

dualsport
10-14-2010, 11:43 PM
I got an Ishy .308 a while back The forestock was cut down. I'd like to restore it to original. Will the forestock from a No. 1 fit the Ishapore .308?

milboltnut
10-15-2010, 01:16 AM
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=9261

Multigunner
10-15-2010, 02:24 AM
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=9261

That link goes to the P-14, a very different rifle.

Try Springfield Sporters.

They have SMLE parts made just about every where, and plenty of Indian stock sets and parts.

I have seen a 2a rifle in SMLE wood with older SMLE style nose cap. I think the early versions did use the older SMLE Stock Sets.

You'll need a fore end, nose cap and spring loaded rest, possibly a middle bad if the old one is no longer with the shortened fore end.
Hand guards are in two parts, front and rear.

Some 2A barrels may differ in profile.
Some 2A buttstocks have a K98 style cupped butt plate, others use the old SMLE style brass butt plate.

PS
Found the Isahapore page at Numrich.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Search.aspx?filter=ishapore
Parts, especially fore ends look a bit overpriced to me.

dualsport
10-18-2010, 12:46 AM
I looked over both sites, this aint gonna be cheap! Springfield has a DP forestock that's only $25. What's the deal with DP guns? I'm guessing that means drill purpose. I'm not too concerned about it being pretty, just functional.

roverboy
10-19-2010, 10:34 PM
My brother in law has a 2A that the forestock is chipped out pretty bad. I've looked for a replacement for him on and off for a while now. They ain't easy to find. I told him I could cut the chip out square and glue in some new wood. He said that would be ok. Good luck on your search.

docone31
10-19-2010, 10:48 PM
The 2A, and the #1MKIII are very similiar. I have replaced my 2A wood with MKIII wood, and furniture with excellent results.
Almost a drop in, with the rear lower wood recquiring a little JB Weld to make the shape around the lower bolt.
A fast replacement.

Multigunner
10-20-2010, 02:34 AM
I looked over both sites, this aint gonna be cheap! Springfield has a DP forestock that's only $25. What's the deal with DP guns? I'm guessing that means drill purpose. I'm not too concerned about it being pretty, just functional.

It was fairly common to find perfectly good SMLE rifles sold here wearing DP marked stock sets. So long as the metal parts of the rifle aren't stamped with either DP or EY or the dreaded ZF then the DP markings on the wood just indicated that broken stocks had been replaced with wood salvaged from DP rifles broken down for spare parts.

I wouldn't trust a reactivated DP rifle but quite often the stocks aren't too bad other than cosmetic damage or oil soaking.
You can probably expect to have to glass bed the fore end, though sometimes theres enough wood at the draws to fit it to a different rifle than it had previously been fitted to.
You'd probably have to do the same sort of bedding adjustment to any used fore end DP marked or not.

Some DP stocks from India have turned out to be English Walnut rather than Indian wood. These came from surplused British WW1 SMLEs sent to India and later downgraded as DP only.
During WW2 there was such a need for Drill rifles in India that the British bought thousands of Dara made Enfield copies to make up the shortfall till enough ISHY or BSA rebuilt dispersal British SMLES could be sent there.

akajun
10-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Contact member Candyman on Surplusrifleforum or Gunboards. If he doesnt have one, he will lead you to the right direction.