PDA

View Full Version : Range pickups...

kamikaze1a
10-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Recently, I got around to melting the bullets I had been picking up at our club range. Most were commercial cast with a few jacketed and even fewer bp or shotgun slugs in the mix. Starting with my 30# pot heaping, I ended up with a half full pot once I scooped out all the slag, jackets and dirt. I ended up with over 50# of "free" lead.

Once the ingots cooled, I was surprised how "hard" the alloy was. They were very silver in color and clinked when bumped against each other. They seem to have considerably more tin and antimony than my usual 4-1 mix of pure lead and lino. I did not try casting those ingots straight but instead added a couple of ingots into the lead part of my mix. Later, when sizing, it was obvious that this mix was harder because it changed the sizing effort noticeably.

Another problem when sizing those harder boolits with my Lyman lube/sizer, the harder mix caused the die to drag the sized material towards the nose giving me a SWC looking TC boolit... The only cure I could figure out was to lube the die by running a boolit twice every few. That seemed to lube the top edge of the die and resulted in less effort on the handle and reduced the SWC look...

Aren't jacketed bullets cores pure lead? And does my mix of four parts pure lead to one part lino not sound "hard" enough? I am getting good results with my usual mix, no leading and good looking, good shooting boo's..

oneokie
10-14-2010, 11:45 PM
You say that most were commercial cast. My experience is that those are probably equal to Tarracorp Magnum alloy. 92-6-2 Pb, Sb, Sn usually in the 16 BHN range.

cbrick
10-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Not hard enough for what? Caliber? Cartridge? Load?

Hard to size? As cast diameter? Sizer size? Changed sizing effort noticeably? How long after casting did you size them?

No, most jacketed bullets are not pure lead, could be up to 5% Sb and with varing amounts of Sn.

What is boo's?

Rick

lwknight
10-15-2010, 12:29 AM
They seem to have considerably more tin and antimony than my usual 4-1 mix of pure lead and lino
I would think so. Your 4:1 mix is about 2.25% antimony and 0.75% tin vs the 2-6-92 even if it was 1/2 jacketed pure lead , which would still be harder than the 4:1 mix.

kamikaze1a
10-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Not hard enough for what? Caliber? Cartridge? Load?

Hard to size? As cast diameter? Sizer size? Changed sizing effort noticeably? How long after casting did you size them?

No, most jacketed bullets are not pure lead, could be up to 5% Sb and with varing amounts of Sn.

What is boo's?

Rick

boo's=boolits... :wink:

I've never put a caliper to my "boo's" and perhaps the alloy changed the diameter but my usual alloy sizes fine. My sizer is a standard .401 Lyman die and loads are Major. This issue is causing me to consider upgrading to a nose first sizer since the base first sizing is altering the profile of my boo's. The lead migrating forward has prevented my slide from going into battery a couple of times due to the shoulder being moved forward... And I size within a week of casting. Also neglected to mention that I supplement the 4-1 mix with a length of 95/5 lead free solder.