PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Boolits Hangin on the Lone Wolf Ramp

gwilliams2
10-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Just recently went to a Lone Wolf barrel on my wife's Glock 19 and my 124g RN TL boolits are occasionally hanging up on the ramp... The boolits are dropped out of the Lee 90465 6CAV_TL356-124-2R, never had any trouble with them before and I've never had problems with Lone Wolf in any thing else. I'm thinkin maybe these just need to be broke in a bit (yes, "these", I bought one for my mom's G-19 at the same time and had the exact same problem). We've only put a couple hundred down range in each, so maybe they will improve after a couple hundred more. If not I was thinkin maybe a little polishing of the ramp may be in order... Thoughts???

63 Shiloh
10-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Polishing the ramp is a good idea for sure.

What is your OAL for the rounds?

Mike

94Doug
10-14-2010, 09:53 PM
If you could find one of the Group Buy "slippery 9's" your problem would probably be solved.
That is a nice feeding boolit.

Doug

HeavyMetal
10-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Where on the ramp are they catching?

The position tells us a lot.

MakeMineA10mm
10-15-2010, 12:04 AM
If you could find one of the Group Buy "slippery 9's" your problem would probably be solved.
That is a nice feeding boolit.

Doug

:bigsmyl2:

I should probably re-run that one soon... It's the one on the far right in the picture below:
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=179&pictureid=2750

gwilliams2
10-15-2010, 09:39 AM
:bigsmyl2:

I should probably re-run that one soon... It's the one on the far right in the picture below:
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=179&pictureid=2750

That's a fine lookin boolit design right there; I am interested. Thanks

gwilliams2
10-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Where on the ramp are they catching?

The position tells us a lot.

The boolit is catchin just before the brass (not on the brass) on the sharp edge at the beginning of the ramp (dents the boolit). The boolits are right at .3565 and my overall length is 1.15 with 4.1g of unique, using liquid Alox until I can convince someone that I really want a Star or some other lubrisizer for my birthday or Christmas (I'll probably end up just buying one myself). If I remember correctly, I've stretched the OAL out to 1.16 without causing other problems (I can't decipher all my old notes). I've sent literaly 10s of thousands of this exact round down range in several of my other toys with no issues.

jdgabbard
10-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Thats one reason I've never like that boolit. I've got the mold, and I never use it. I could see that step causing lots of problems.

HeavyMetal
10-15-2010, 11:01 PM
I agree with jdgabbard it looks like you found a gun that doesn't like this particular boolit.

Options are:

Polish the ramp area and create a radius along that edge and see if the issue goes away or get another mold for this gun.

That sharp band / edge is another of many reasons I don't do tumble lube designs.

Since I haven't seen the ramp area I am loathe to make the suggestion to do any polishing
on it but if it were mine ( not enough beer in the Universe to get me to buy a Glock!) I would look hard at polishing the area on the ramp.

chris in va
10-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Might try downloading your charge, loading to the edge of that 'step' and taper crimp so it feeds better.

My CZ is also finicky and without a taper crimp it simply gets grumpy.

Got a pic of an assembled round?

MakeMineA10mm
10-16-2010, 12:07 AM
Might try downloading your charge, loading to the edge of that 'step' and taper crimp so it feeds better.

all good suggestions. I'd like to see a pic of the boolit and assembled round too.

gwilliams2
10-16-2010, 12:55 PM

Don't have any pics right now, but I'll see what I can do. Going to a lighter load and seating the boolit just a little deeper sounds like a good idea; maybe I'll give that a shot. As long as it's hot enough to cycle the round and hit what we're aiming at, everyone will be happy (all we do is punch paper for fun with these rounds).

I'd sure like to pick up one of those "slippery 9's" sometime in the near future.

gwilliams2
10-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Well, put 250 down range with only one round jamming... I'm beginning to think that the barrel just needs to be broke in. I'm still interested in the "slippery 9"... I'll post another update after the next trip to the range. Thanks for all the great advice on this one.

Doby45
10-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Lone Wolf barrels have to be some of the roughest out of the box barrels I have ever dealt with in my life. I can ASSURE you the chamber lip/edge needs to be polished a bit. The last one I dealt with that exact area was sharp enough to cut your finger on, much less pass a lead round over it.

It has nothing to do with it being a Glock and everything to do with it being a shoddy finished product pushed out by LW.