PDA

View Full Version : Brass catch of the day

GOPHER SLAYER
10-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Buckshot and I went to the moutain range Tuesday. The pictures show my brass catch of the day. Some 0f those cases are huge. There are some marked 300 REM Ultra Mag. I don't know what they are intended to put down but I think it would handle anything that walks the earth. If I were offered the gun that takes such a cartridge for free on condition that I fire the beast, I would have to pass.

Jailer
10-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Nice find.

Found a single 300 RUM last time I was at the range. Thing has to kick like a mule.

RP
10-14-2010, 09:28 PM
dont be a sissy go big or go home just kidding nice

82nd airborne
10-14-2010, 09:30 PM
If you feel the need to get those RUM cases out of your site, let me know and I'll make 50 Razorback brass out of em. That'll teach those little guys a lesson.

blaser.306
10-14-2010, 09:31 PM
.300 RUM just kills things extra dead !!! No need to search for the ( I know I hit it ) ones.

JIMinPHX
10-14-2010, 09:59 PM
RUM... I'd have to drink quite a bit of it before wanting to fire one of those things.

gravel
10-14-2010, 11:23 PM
volume brass catching

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1556/dscf8289q.jpg

home in oz
10-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Good finds.

AkMike
10-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Thing has to kick like a mule.

(In my best Crocodile Dundee voice) Nah Mate, that doesn't kick like a mule,,, This kicks like a mule!

4 bore! Now that kicks!

dunkel
10-14-2010, 11:49 PM
That is ridiculous, lol.

AkMike
10-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Not really...

This is at full recoil. With a 16 pound rifle!

Triggerhappy
10-15-2010, 12:04 AM
I thought the dinosaurs were extinct, now I know why.

swamp
10-15-2010, 12:14 AM
GOPHER SLAYER
What would you want for the 300 RUM cases? I have a friend who hunts with one and could use some empties.
swamp

Dannix
10-15-2010, 12:23 AM
For some reason I don't mind handgun recoil, but I loathe it from a rifle. Maybe I just haven't killed enough nerves in my shoulder yet, or I got poor technique.

If you feel the need to get those RUM cases out of your site, let me know and I'll make 50 Razorback brass out of em. That'll teach those little guys a lesson.
Ah yes, the Razorback. I've told I'm going to go that route for a bolt action, once I get enough green for a serious bolt gun, unless I go .50 Alaskan instead ... or .458. Hum, maybe a Razorback bolt, .50 Alaskan lever, and .458/et al AR. :mrgreen:

Some of you old timers must have a real chore giving your collection the attention it deserves!

MT Gianni
10-15-2010, 12:28 AM
I have a friend that has one and would like a price on some.

Buckshot
10-15-2010, 02:42 AM
................It's funny as heck to me. But I do in all honesty believe it is a serious illness ................this brass affliction. Maybe Wayne could invent a name for it if there isn't one already? Whoever it was at the range who did it, bless them :-) In front of each bench there is now two 5 gallon buckets chained to the legs. One marked "Steel" and the other "Brass". Of course those who even bother to sort before dumping into the buckets don't, or can't read[smilie=b: No big deal actually.

Now I burn 4.5 gallons of gas round trip, plus the $14 range fee and I AM by God gonna do my shooting. However GOPHER SLAYER was obviously in hog heaven. I think he spent 15 minutes shooting and we were there a bit over 5 hours:lol: He had every useable container he'd brought doing duty as scavenged brass containers. Toward the end of the day I could no longer stand it and on the back seat of the Sport Trac was several of those cloth grocery bags.

Now GOPHER SLAYER actually roots around in the buckets picking out what he wants. I simply took one of those bags and dumped 2 partially full 5 gallon buckets into it. Steel cases, and a few shotgun hulls included. I thought about taking a picture of it too, but figured why bother? Wednesday I threw out all the trash and seperated out all the rifle cases, then all the 9mm and 38/357's together, and then all the 'fat' pistol cases. I started the first batch of 9mm/38/357cases in the tumbler and started sorting the rifle cases.

That one bucket I dumped from the other range must have been from a CMP compitition as it was almost all '-06 and 308. I ended up with 478 '-06 cases (mostly R-P & Winchester) and 369, 308 cases. These were mostly R-P & FC, but Winchester and PMC brought up the rear of the useable quantities. The only 'oddities' were a few 300 Savage cases. I too ended up with a bunch, well 17 of those Rem 30RUM cases, some 300 Weatherby, a smattering of 243's, 270's and such. I didn't have room for'em, no personal need for'em and I didn't think GOPHER SLAYER was going to drive down from Cherry Valley to get them so I chucked them.

One really neat cartridge I found was that, a loaded cartridge. A 7x57 with a RN cupro-nickle jacketed slug headstamped DWM 1913! In great condition too. All I kept was the '-06, 308, 7.62x54R, 30-30, 45ACP, 45 Colt, a few 45 Beowulf's, 9mm, 38, and 357's. I tossed a buttload of 223 and 40 S&W brass.

GOPHER SLAYER found ONE 45-70 case, and that REALLY got him going but you don't find those type cases, and that one was his one and only of those. No 38-55, 32-40, 30-40, and similar. Heck, no 38 Super either! As per usual the ground in front of and behind the concrete slab was covered in brass.

I guess no one else reloads or else only me and GOPHER SLAYER are the only 2 using the range so morally decrepit and of such low scruples as to bend over and pick up brass? As mentioned I tossed a BUNCH of 223 and 40 S&W at home. That stuff is all over the place up there. One of these days Larry the RSO may say something but so far he just stands there and talks while you're picking it up!

...............Buckshot

geargnasher
10-15-2010, 02:54 AM
Buckshot, next time you wanny throw away some usable brass, throw it my way! I'll give you an advance on a FRB + extra for the efforts of your dispicable dumpster-diving activities!

Gear

82nd airborne
10-15-2010, 09:48 AM
For some reason I don't mind handgun recoil, but I loathe it from a rifle. Maybe I just haven't killed enough nerves in my shoulder yet, or I got poor technique.

Ah yes, the Razorback. I've told I'm going to go that route for a bolt action, once I get enough green for a serious bolt gun, unless I go .50 Alaskan instead ... or .458. Hum, maybe a Razorback bolt, .50 Alaskan lever, and .458/et al AR. :mrgreen:

Some of you old timers must have a real chore giving your collection the attention it deserves!

I think you have it right with getting one of each Dan!

82nd airborne
10-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Sometimes I go to the range to shoot and dont even get the guns out of the truck because everyone is blasting away with semi autos leaving the brass everywhere. And yes they do look at me like Im an idiot while Im limping around with a bucket scrounging for brass that I dont even have a gun for.

oneokie
10-15-2010, 09:50 AM
................It's funny as heck to me. But I do in all honesty believe it is a serious illness ................this brass affliction. Maybe Wayne could invent a name for it if there isn't one already? ...............Buckshot

uhmmmm, I think the name you are looking for is brass prostitute.:drinks:

RayinNH
10-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Your ranges must have a higher class clientele than mine. Our buckets are filled with shotgun hulls, aluminum cases and berdan primed milsurp stuff, both steel and brass. The occasional reloadable stuff is 9mm, 40 S&W neither off which I shoot. Once in a while I find .38 Special/.357 mag which I grab but certainly don't need as I have more than I'll use in my lifetime. It's a disease you know :redneck:...Ray

Rock
10-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Brass left at a California Range? Wow!!!

Up in Northern California our ranges are picked very clean, about the only brass you find is either aluminum, steel, or uses the double flash hole (plus rimfire).

jsizemore
10-15-2010, 06:49 PM
We call'em 'brass hounds'. Woof, Woof. I'm one of them.

Now, excuse me will I get myself around the first deer meatloaf of the season.

6.5 mike
10-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Was that brass hooker in the P.I. or was it Thailand, to many fuzzy years there :veryconfu

GOPHER SLAYER
10-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Buckshot mentioned the range officer not saying anything about us picking up brass. I think the main reason he doesn't is because I always bring him treats such as banana bread, apple bread or roasted almonds. The poor guy lives in an ancient trailer at the range and I think he eats mostly cheap TV dinners. I learned years ago that it is much easier to bribe someone with tasty food than it is with money. Within reason of course.

DLCTEX
10-15-2010, 11:34 PM
You guys are wimps compared to a lady I know who deer hunts with a 300 Ultra Mag. She's about 5'4 and 120. I asked her about the recoil and she said it kicks her some, but she likes it. Don't mess with this girl.

Kraschenbirn
10-16-2010, 01:02 PM
'Nother "brass rat" here. Our range is a lot like where Ray shoots...lots of steel-case Russian/ChiCom junk and Berdan-primed milsurp but I try to recycle everything I can so I'm not terribly particular. Anything reloadable goes either into my stock or to another shooter who can use it; the steel/aluminum stuff goes into my regular recycling bins; and any Berdan-primed, rimfire, or damaged brass goes into a 5-gallon bucket under my reloading bench. When the bucket's full, I take it to a scrap dealer where I've got a standing arrangement to trade it for lead...WWs or plumber's scrap, depending upon what I need at the time.

Bill

oneokie
10-16-2010, 01:11 PM
scrap dealer where I've got a standing arrangement to trade it for lead...Bill

Interesting. Mind sharing what kind of trade? Straight, pound for pound or a ratio?

Kraschenbirn
10-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Interesting. Mind sharing what kind of trade? Straight, pound for pound or a ratio?

By "volume" actually. I take in a full 5-gallon bucket of brass and carry out (roughly) two half-full buckets of lead. By weight, I estimate it works out to about a 2 for 1 swap. It's an informal arrangement so, sometimes, I do a little better than 2 for 1 and, others, maybe, I fall a little short. Either way, I add to my lead stockpile for, essentially, nothing more than the time it takes to pick up and sort the range trash.

Bill

casterofboolits
10-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Have been collecting brass for 47 years. I pick it up even if I don't have a gun or reload for it. I pass it on to friends or fellow shooters or trade for what I can use.

Damaged cases or brass berdan cases goes into the recycling bucket. Traded a 5 gal bucket of scrap brass for a 5 gal bucket of once fired military 5.56 brass that was heading for the scrap yard.

I have over 50,000 pices of assorted brass stored in the basement.

I just sorted out several 5 gal buckets of range pick up brass for a buddy who picked it up from a private club range. Everything from 5.7 to 500 S&W. Burned up a Harbor Freight tumbler cleaning a bunch of it.

On top of that I have a buddy who is a scrounger of the first water. He deals in 55gal drums, not 5 gal buckets.

I have not seen a reloader that is not a brass rat.[smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=s:

GOPHER SLAYER
10-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Brass Buzzard is the term I first heard over forty years ago. AK-Mike could we see a close up picture of that 16 pound rifle? I have a passion , no lust for fine European doubles. I never got to own one but a lady let me keep one for several months to play with. Others I could have had if they had come along when I was a little more flush but you know the name of that tune.

AkMike
10-17-2010, 06:11 PM
The 4 bore is a single shooter not a twin tube. Here's the best I have to show til I round up with the owner sometime at the range. (There's another gent up here that has a double 4 bore but he wasn't there that day.) It's the big`un at the bottom of the line up. Next is twin's 8bore 10 bore, 577/500, 500 express and misc 450's and at the top of the stack is some 9.3X74R's.

clintsfolly
10-18-2010, 12:56 PM
uhmmmm, I think the name you are looking for is brass prostitute.
I like Brass **** myself Clint [smilie=1:

Recluse
10-18-2010, 01:29 PM
................It's funny as heck to me. But I do in all honesty believe it is a serious illness ................this brass affliction. Maybe Wayne could invent a name for it if there isn't one already?

...............Buckshot

Ha ha ha. You're right.

In MY world, the only three precious metals are lead, brass and copper--and the copper is only to gather and sell to the scrapper in exchange for more lead.

:coffee:

GOPHER SLAYER
10-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Thank you very much AK Mike. They are truly candy for the eye.

AkMike
10-18-2010, 07:04 PM
We're going to be shooting these this Saturday.. Stop by and play with them.

WILCO
10-21-2010, 02:02 AM
4 bore! Now that kicks!

Check out this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElmlIyOtf1Q&feature=related

Watch the dude on the right with the black vest......:holysheep

AkMike
10-21-2010, 02:38 AM
That is NOT how you do it! Hang on tight with you front hand.. There's anothe clip at NE showing a editor from a gun mag shooting a 600NE and the GIB had a fish landing net to catch the gun. :D

dunkel
10-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Bah, 4 bores are for pansies. 2 bore is where it's at. 2600gr bullets get it done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXoa5zNn0TU&feature=fvw