PDA

View Full Version : Gun Dory

krag35
09-23-2006, 10:07 AM
I know this is a cast boolit BB, but there are some very talented fellers that visit here, so I thought I'd ask for opinions.

http://butlerprojects.com/boats/gundory/index.htm

I plan on putting a 5 - 15 HP outboard in a well for cruising power, and rowing only when fishing or when drifting rivers. Speed really isn't a big concern with me, I already have a powerboat. Dory's are known for their seaworthiness and stability, so I wouldn't be concerned about taking on some big water in it.

I'd plan on fishing local lakes, drifting rivers, and using it on the coastal rivers and Bays crabbing. A true Drift Boat would be OK, but they row like crap in still water.

Any ideas, opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.

krag35

357maximum
09-23-2006, 10:18 AM
You, could just bob the stern square, or if the HP was low enough put a side board on her, like they do on a canoe...just thinkin out loud...

Ivantherussian03
09-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Nice boat, even better without a motor. It would need dry storage in the winter and summer.

NVcurmudgeon
09-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Back in my well-spent youth I had a 22' sailboat, about a ton plus. An Evinrude 7.5 in a well provided reliable, convenient power, occasionally for 12 hours at a stretch. Top speed was an adequate 5 mph.

montana_charlie
09-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Is she still in the planning stage...or is this a modification on one already built?

If just being planned, consider a good electric motor.
It could use a smaller, narrower well, (causing less drag) with less reinforcment to take the thrust.
There is room for battery storage, and there are solar cells made for marine applications that can be used to replace areas of wood decking. That would help with recharging during those times when you are under oars.
CM