PDA

View Full Version : BLO by the numbers

Char-Gar
10-14-2010, 12:57 AM
OK.. Say, I have this new stock that is sanded, whiskered and ready to finish. Walk me through how to do a BLO finish... please! Pretty please!

Also, please don't tell me how much better off I would be with Tung Oil, Plinkington's, Watco, Tru-Oil, Linspeed etc, etc. etc.. BLO is the way I want to go.

Beekeeper
10-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Charger,
What I do is put a small amount on a rag (piece of a sock) and rub an area get a little more on the wrag and do another area until the stock is done.
use a little pressure while rubbing as it warms the oil and wood and helps it soak in.
Once done let it set for 24 hours, rub it down with (0000) steel wool and apply a second coat.
continue to do it until you get the feel and luster you want.
With me and a new stock it takes about a dozen coats to get the finish I like.

Jim

calaloo
10-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Rub on the BLO with your hands or a rag. Put it on heavy, In two or three days rub off any excess that still remains. put on another coat and repeat previous process. After the wood quits soaking the oil into the pores moisten the hands with the oil and rub HARD enough to create heat. Do this every chance you get for several months. The finish will be impervious to water and will have a sheen that can be reproduced no other way. I did a longrifle this way several years ago.