PDA

View Full Version : .308 spanish 1916??

leadhead
10-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Hi guys,
Anyone else have problems chambering cast bullets in there 1916 .308.
It seems that the rounds want to feed to the right of the chamber.
It's really worse with bullets that have a flat on them. Spitzer bullets seem
to work ok, and if I seat the others real deep, they will also chamber but
then there seated to deep. I think the follower isn't ground right but need
more info before I go to grinding on it. Any info?
Thanks,
Denny

Larry Gibson
10-14-2010, 11:53 AM
The problem is mostly caused by the feed rails being made for the case taper of the 7x57 cartridge. The 7.62 NATO cartridge has much less taper. The feed rails can be adjusted but it is a permenant fix and must be done carefully. I suggest keeping the cartridges to the rear, adjusting the AOL of the loaded cartridges or going to a RN bullet (probably the easiest). This is a common problem with the older Mausers, especially the SR ones. Note the feeding problems mentioned in the current 6.5 thread, same problem basically.

Putting a block in the front of the magazine (to shorten the magazine length to 2.9") and using a shorter follower and spring from a short action M700, Savage or Winchester many times helps a lot.

Larry Gibson

leadhead
10-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks Larry,
Thats what I figered the problem was. It works fine with the Lee 185 gr if I seat it short
enough. It has a block in front of the mag well and has a shortend follower, but like you
say, I think the rail on the follower itself is the problem. I might try to do a llitle "adjustment"
in the near furture. Thanks,
Denny

Buckshot
10-17-2010, 02:10 AM
http://www.fototime.com/416B710B5AD5E89/standard.jpg

..............I had a similar problem converting a 1894 Brazilian SR Mauser to 7.62x39. Naturally the rifle was origionally 7x57. It was a kit from GPC which had the barrel, mag box spacer, and a new follower and spring. The follower they supplied was black plastic and a piece of oblong coil spring. Both looked like they were scavanged from an AK magazine. I tried them but it wasn't working well. BEsides I couldn't abide that shiney black plastic follower :-)

I shortened the original steel follower and altered the the original flat 'Z" follower spring to work. In the photo you can see that I soldered on a piece of brass against the shoulder of the follower to bias the much smaller Rooskie case to the right. I had to grind a smidge at the front of the action's feed lips so the shorter case didn't break over at such a sharp angle. It feeds like it was made for the cartridge now.

...............Buckshot

leadhead
10-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Good info Rick, Thanks
Denny

TCLouis
10-17-2010, 08:09 PM
ric
How much did you grind away from the action to get the action to feed the shorter case.

I have always read about altering the guide rails, but have never heard how much change is needed . . .

One thousandth or 50 thousandths.

Larry Gibson
10-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Note the 7.62x39 has a considerable taper compared to the .308W. The front end of M93/95 magazines is very tapered. The best solution for the .308W is to keep the rounds to the rear of the magazine so the rim of the cartridge will come up far enough for the bolt to pick it up. The shoulders of the cases bind in the taper of the magazine and many times the rim won't rise far enough if mor than 1 cartridge is in the magazine.

I hav relieved the rails on both side back to just behind the shoulder. This allows the cartridge rim to slip up under the extractor earlier and also keeps the bullet from hitting the opposite side of the rear of the barrel. The trick is to take a little off the side rails and then try feeding 5 dummy cartridges (all 5 into the magazine). Then take a little more off until feeding is positive. You must go slow because once off the mettal isn't easily put back on.

Larry Gibson

Buckshot
10-18-2010, 02:51 AM
ric
How much did you grind away from the action to get the action to feed the shorter case.

I have always read about altering the guide rails, but have never heard how much change is needed . . .

One thousandth or 50 thousandths.

..............I can't quote it in any certain amount as I never measured anything beforehand. I basically did what Larry suggested. The "Grind and Try" routine:grin: I think you'd have had to converted a bunch and worked on the rails without the chicken hearted grind and try routine! Using dummy cartridges you spend time working the action slowly while watching closely to see what is happening. Grind a bit and use the dummies some more. It may seem eons are passing before you reach your goal:drinks:

..............Buckshot

Larry Gibson
10-18-2010, 12:39 PM
may seem eons are passing before you reach your goal

Now isn't that the truth:drinks:

Larry Gibson