PDA

View Full Version : EPA squeezing the locals

jr81452
10-13-2010, 05:03 PM
We have a female EPA agent in my AO that told 2 of my usual suppliers that they can't give the weights away. She actually told them that the only legal way for them to get rid of their spent weights is to put them in the boxes provided by a (somewhat local) battery company, and that they must be signed out by a rep from said company. Sounds like someone has been taking bribes to me.

Does anyone know if she actually has a leg to stand on legally? Anyone have a link to EPA policy on lead disposal, my google foo is very poor. Anyone know if Florida recognizes a license you can obtain like "certified lead removal expert" or some such? We have something similar in the construction industry, but upon review it only applies to building retrofitting.

Thanks

sqlbullet
10-13-2010, 05:53 PM
EPA Lead webpages (http://www.epa.gov/lead/).

The only regulatory items are related to renovation/removal of lead based paint.

As an interesting side note, hobbyist are using 10.6 million pounds of WW a year (http://www.epa.gov/osw/hazard/wastemin/nlfwwi.htm). This is considered un-managed loss of lead.

lwknight
10-13-2010, 06:18 PM
The puppy bearing female is full of hog slop.

Bloodman14
10-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Ask her for the regs IN WRITING! Sounds like a load of bull.

Rangefinder
10-14-2010, 01:58 AM
Definitely sounds like a really severe case of Im-importantitis. One would think a gung-ho save-the-planet-one-B.S.-theory-at-a-time kinda twit would be excited for us casters to get the used WW's. We are poster-children for their whole recycling campaign. We're keeping millions of tons of bad-nasty-evil lead from polluting our precious landfills every day---one shot at a time. And, all things considered, we should be posing for their renewable resources ads. We resmelt range lead! :D

lwknight
10-14-2010, 02:03 AM
We resmelt range lead!

And I can attest to that!

Suo Gan
10-14-2010, 02:25 AM
I am doing my part to get my share of the 10.9 million pounds of the ww's!

fredj338
10-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Wow, a govt employee intupretting the regs the way they want, never heard of such a thing? Yeah, she is full of it but as w/ most govt agencies, it's easier for businesses to submit than fight it. Lead is the new cigerette. Gotta ban it to protect all of us from ourselves.

publius
10-18-2010, 01:19 PM
The EPA and ATF are rogue agencies that operate outside the confines of the law when it suits them.

chris in va
10-18-2010, 09:20 PM
I also hear this from the local tire stores. "The EPA says we have to recycle it".

I'll say it again...we'd better learn to cast with zinc pretty soon.

Bullshop
10-18-2010, 11:08 PM
I think the head heads of the epa are getting greased by exide to put the squeze on all sources so excide can corner the market.
I dont know of any laws being passed to regulate lead and to my knowledge it is not and will not be put on the hazmat list.
Maybe I am wrong but thats what I think. Must be good grease too cuz its working.

crazy mark
10-18-2010, 11:57 PM
The only thing I know for sure is we have to account for any lead that leaves the hospital to show we didn't just throw it away. Of course I don't sign out what I get as it isn't thrown away.

7of7
10-19-2010, 12:26 AM
The puppy bearing female is full of hog slop.

I believe that would be used hog slop...

Cowboy T
10-21-2010, 06:56 PM
So, basically what the EPA is admitting is that we are recycling the wheel weights, thus being environmentally friendly. Hmm...you'd think they'd be on board with this! Go figure....

cajun shooter
10-21-2010, 10:19 PM
I just had to say that the one Federal Office that does what it wants and can seize all that you own is not the ones posted but the good ole Internal Revenue Service.

Sando
10-24-2010, 10:49 PM
My local scrap dealer here in CA just told me he can't sell scrap lead anymore unless he gets a Haz Mat license.