PDA

View Full Version : Gun show sales question

Char-Gar
09-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Tomorrow at the Gun show, I will man the Sons of Confederate Veterans table and pass out info on the organization. I would also like to put out a couple of handguns to peddle. I am not a dealer so as long as I don't violate state law, I am free to sell there...correct?

I live in Texas and person to person sales are OK as long as the folks are 21 and a resident of the state.

mooman76
09-22-2006, 07:33 PM
I would say so. Here we always have folks wakling around trying to sell their guns!

JSH
09-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Falls under private collection or some such thing. I myself try to barter with folks that know people I know, if you follow me.
Jeff

NVcurmudgeon
09-22-2006, 09:37 PM
In Nevada, where private INTRASTATE sales are legal as long as the buyer has a valid driver's license or DMV ID, We can legally buy and sell at gun shows. Once a friend was walking around with a blue boxed S&W revolver for sale or trade, we were approached by someone who said he was from Arizona. My friend said, "sorry NV only." The "customer" said that he would meet us at his dealer friends's table in 15 minutes. Of course, he never showed. We both had a strong feeling of ATF. This is the biggest gun show in northern Nevada, and ATF trollers have caught a number of over eager would-be sellers there. Insist that any potential buyers comply with all laws, and you will be bulllet proof.

Buckshot
09-25-2006, 08:05 PM
.............I think I mentioned before, in Sierra Vista, AZ where my folks live the Kiwanis or one of those orgs hosts a swap meet/ junque show every Saturday there is fair weather (monsoon hit'em hard this year). There are no private party sales restrictions on firearms. Just like selling a dinette set.

Here in California there has been some form of waiting period on handguns since the early 50's. I think it was until the early 90's there was no waiting for long guns for retail sales. Not long after they added long guns to the waiting period criteria, private party sales were also outlawed unless they went through a dealer and then you have the wait plus the fees to pay.

So at the swap meet there are usually a couple guys with just guns. However walking around, up and down the isles amongst the busted lawnmowers and old aquariums and other flotsam and jetsam you'll also find the odd gun here and there. Usually these take the form of single shot shotguns, and on occassion a pistol or rifle.

One of the guys who just sells guns (I've seen him twice) has some pretty interesting stuff. The first time I saw him I was attracted to 2 S&W K frames with 4" heavy bbls and fixed sights. Don't know if they were 38's or 357's. Plus he had a gorgeous little Rem RB in something like 32RF. I didn't handle it but the guy next to me picked it up and it didn't look refinished. He also had a M95 Steyr straight pull but he wanted $150 for it, and at the time they still weren't to bad so I passed. Kinda had visions of another conversion :-)

The novelty of just handing over the cash and pocketing the gun was so strong I really wanted to experience it again :-)

................Buckshot

Explorer1
09-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Sterotypically, private guns sales can go between people if both meet the requirements to legally posses. Handgun sales are limited to in state sales. Then you have state specific restrictions, for you which you need to check with local sources.

There are some web sites which discuss the state specific restrictions, but remember they are not the ones who may be answering questions to the judge. You are responsible for your compliance! In today's anti-gun world, its tough not to at least slightly question most everyone you do not know.

Here in WA, no paperwork is required but there is an optional transfer form for private sales to update the state's big brother database of who owns what. I use it for sales of items traceable to me.

Enough paranoia on big brother helping us, go enjoy the show. And bless you with a good deal on something you "need."

PatMarlin
09-27-2006, 12:17 AM
In the PRK, curios long arms- those 50 years and older can change private party hands with no paper work, or FFL.

THIS is a great thing cause we all know good stuff was made back then. They haven't changed this law have they? Dep Al?

PatMarlin
09-27-2006, 12:22 AM
I made a late edit as we're talkin' "long arms" here.. :drinks: