PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon Tripple Seven

Bob Busetti
10-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Bought a can of Hodgdon tripple seven to use in my 50/95.
Anybody out there using it to reload rifle cases? Any tips about use other than what it says on the side of the can. Some say to weight the powder instead of bulk charges.
I would be happy to hear from all of you on the use of this powder

home in oz
10-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Is this one of those where you use the same volumn as Black Powder?

Bob Busetti
10-12-2010, 06:11 PM
No, Hodgdon says not to do volume. It says to fill case full enough so that bullet barely compress's powder and to use no filler or have air space between bullet and powder.
Bob

Tatume
10-13-2010, 07:10 PM
I use a lot of Triple Seven in muzzleloading rifles, and I like it very much. However, although I have not used it myself in cartridges, I have read that it is very corrosive to brass. Be careful.

John Boy
10-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Bob, you are incorrect in your post!

Per Hodgdon Loading Data for Triple Seven ...

All charges of Triple Seven or Pyrodex should be measured by VOLUME not weight. A simple, adjustable blackpowder measure is the correct tool for this job. All loads listed in this brochure are measured by VOLUME.

Triple Seven is a high energy product designed to provide the muzzleloading hunter with higher velocities when used in the same VOLUME as blackpowder. To duplicate a blackpowder load velocity using Triple Seven, you must decrease the powder charge by 15%. *See WARNING below.
I have used it for reloads in a 45-70. It is a hot powder and Yes, to equal a 70gr Black Powder reload - decrease by 15%. Instead of 59gr, I use 52gr BY VOLUME and a 500gr bullet shoots accurately out to 600yds

Bob Busetti
10-15-2010, 11:47 AM
I stand corrected, my can does say that. I read the part about weighing the powder in an article some where. Hodgdon states at its web sight that "cases must be cleaned shortly after using in brass cases. And also says to use a mixture of 50% water and 50% vinegar to clead cases.
How do you clean your cases?
I was trying to get 1550 fps with a 350 gr bullet. The barrel has a 1-50 twist. In an old lyman book it states that Colt used that twist in their Lighting rifle.
Thanks for the help guys, as I am flying by the seat of my pants on this one.
Have a good day all.