PDA

View Full Version : .410/45lc Taurus Circuit Judge.

eseemann
10-12-2010, 04:20 PM
I have been looking for information on the .410 slug end of the new Taurus CJ and I wonder if you folk could help. I see from my looking that a 45 long colt is about .454" and a .410 is well .410 in diameter please tell me if my assumptions (and we know what they say about them) are correct. One page listed slug diameters from .392 to .404. If that is the case will the plastic sabot or wadding act to fill the gap from the slug's OD and the bore's ID? Could some one use a .429 cast 44 slug in a sabot out of a .410? Reason I ask is I have all this stuff for reloading 44's including about 4 boxes of cast bullets and I had to see my 44 puma. I know if I try to sell the reloading gear I am looking at a Big old loss so I am on the look out for practical ways to use the lead I have. I was thinking about a judge so this (crazy/half baked)idea came up.

Any way thanks for any input.

PS failing that any thoughts on taming the recoil on a 44 lever action and what to look at

Rocky Raab
10-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Maybe I'm confused. You're looking to buy a Taurus CJ so you won't lose money on your reloading gear? And then you're looking at lead slugs for the .410 aspect of a gun that already shoots 45 Colt? Or does the confusion lie elsewhere?

My friend, forget the Judge. Get yourself a good 44 Special/Mag revolver and cast bullets for it and your Puma. Loading 44 Special loads will tame the recoil of both.

Harter66
10-12-2010, 05:57 PM
+1 for the above !

No reason to run full tilt if you're not hunting big game with it .

There's lots of data to down load in the Lyman books.

eseemann
10-12-2010, 05:58 PM
That's what I thought, thanks

NVScouter
10-13-2010, 05:32 PM
The circuit Judge looks interesting but order what you want and dont plan on it being a super shooter or able to handle what a Puma would for pressure.

Rossi offers the Circuit Judge in smooth or rifled barrels, I think a rifled barrel and a non .410GA cylinder would be a good truck gun. Maybe a kids first close range deer gun...I dont know really :bigsmyl2:

That being said I load for my Dad's 3" Judge and he loves it. He has more mended bones then most and neuro damage. Add in his eyesight and those .410s really help him out. I found it kinda comfortable and a good enough shooter but thats it. My other revolvers run circles around it.

255g cast on the softer side at 800fps are decent shooters. Everything includeing 180-250g Jbullets are either poor or so-so. Handloader magazine did a write up on the internal dimensions and that says it all.

If you want rifle performace get the Puma. A 454 will handle 45Colts as hot as you want to make them. The 44 will do the same with .429s.