PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39 size die problem

Junior1942
09-22-2006, 03:12 PM
My Lee full length 7.62x39 size die won't full length size. It sizes maybe 1/2 of the neck. No way can I force the case all the way into the die. I sent it back to Lee and the guy said I was using the wrong lube. Should use Lee sizing lube. He sized the cases I sent him just fine in the die, he said.

Well, got the die back and it still won't full length size even with Lee sizing lube. I can remove the expander/decapper, and it makes no difference. What's happening?????

StarMetal
09-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Junior,

Wow, I never heard that one. My 7.62x39 dies are Lee and they size all the way. In fact I have them run out alittle so they don't full size as I want the brass to fit my chamber more precisely. No sense in asking you if you're using the right shellholder because the shellholder comes with the Lee die set. Can you post of picture of the brass, one that is sized next too one that isn't sized?

Joe

singleshotbuff
09-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Just a thought, is it possible that your shellholder is thicker than the one used at the factory? This may keep the case from fully entering the die. Just a WAG.

SSB

StarMetal
09-22-2006, 04:27 PM
singleshotbuff,

Not to have a pissing battle with you, but Junior said it only sized 1/2 the neck. That's a heck of alot more then a thicker shellholder. I mean a shellholder that thick should stick out like a sore thumb.

Joe

dragonrider
09-22-2006, 06:18 PM
This definitely sounds like a lube problem. obviously you are using the proper technique and shell holder. It would be hard to think that the die is bad after you sent it back to Lee for inspection. I had a problem with lube once in the past, what happened was the lube had frozen and gone bad, used to have my reloading stuff in an unheated garage. It drove me nuts trying to discover why my cases wouldn't come out of the die, broke two of em, got some new lube and the problem went away. My 02 cents.

singleshotbuff
09-22-2006, 06:20 PM
As I said, just a WAG. I've had to grind a shellholder down before to get a case sized enough to chamber freely in a certain firearm. The case had been fired in an oversized chamber and didn't want to chamber in a standard chamber after normal full length sizing. FWIW, I have noticed that my Lee shellholders TEND to be slightly thicker than my Lyman & RCBS shellholders. Again, not saying this is the case, just idle speculation.

SSB

Junior1942
09-22-2006, 07:21 PM
It was a lube problem. I had the cases in a loading block and the Hornady spray lube wasn't getting on the part near the bases. However, that doesn't explain why other cases for other cartridges full length size just fine when lubed the same way. . . . Maybe the SKS chamber is a little large?

Thanks guys!!!!

singleshotbuff
09-22-2006, 07:28 PM
FWIW I lube my cases upside down and always get the proper amount of lube on the cases. I made a rack to hold my cases by nailing 10 nails through a 1X4 so that they stick out about 2.5" on the other side. I set this board in a shallow cardboard box, with the nails pointing up, and put a case on each nail. Then I spray them with Lyman aerosol case lube. I run a drop of RCBS case lube inside the neck of every 10th case with a Q-tip. Works great for me.

bruce drake
09-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Junior,

How many times have you reloaded the cases? Sounds like work-hardening to me. My 7.62x39 cases get like this sometimes and I do a quick anneal and they are back to normal.

Bruce

Junior1942
09-22-2006, 08:26 PM
They're new WW cases, Bruce. Wouldn't size coming out of the WW sealed plastic bags. Wouldn't size after one firing.

I'm gonna put a lock ring on the Lee sizing die and size the rest of the cases about 3/4 down the neck. They chambered fine sized 1/3 down the neck, so 3/4 should give some feeding insurance.

bruce drake
09-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Junior,

My Dies would sometimes accumulate sizing lube (Especially Lee's white tube lube)inside the dies. This would sometimes size my case necks too small or make them difficult to size also. I've taken to dissassembling and cleaning them regularly and that has stopped.

Bruce

Bigjohn
09-23-2006, 01:00 AM
My tuppence worth,

The brand of lube should not make any difference or be brand specific. Sounds like LEE may have wanted to sell more case lube. :confused:

If the cases are lubed with one brand properly and resize without problems, then another brand of lubed applied the same way should also work. :coffee:

I change brand of caselube just about everytime I reload, having received so many bottles with different equipment purchased. The first one I pick up will do. I just about have enough here to be able to reload everyday for a lifetime and not need to buy more, a little goes a long way. I would still have some left in the first bottle of caselube I received in my kit back in the '70s.

Does this stuff go off?

:drinks:
John.

StarMetal
09-23-2006, 01:14 AM
Well I didn't want to say anything, but I can't imagine that happening either. I mean I've been reloading for a lot of years and the only things bad happen to me are sticking a case in the die, or getting an oil crease/wrinkle. That's it, never what happen to Jr.

Joe