PDA

View Full Version : 14 yr old sons first deer hunt

whitetailsniper
10-12-2010, 03:13 AM
been so busy as of late but i had to ,like any proud father would share in sons first deer hunt here in michigan,,for the youth season here sept.26,27 son was more than ready,and earger to go. as he deiced to use his muzzleloader cva magbolt 50 inline. he used a sabot hornady 240 grain xtp on top of 2 50 grain 777 pellets. my old muzzleloader i gave him,when i bought my t/c encore pro hunter 209x50. his cva was topted with a nikon 3x9x40. on the night of the 25th son was to excited to sleep,he was up all night,playing moder warfare 2 to help him pass the time,,i was finally finished packing gear,and washing hunting cloaths at 1:00 am before that i worked all day,then did brake job on other sons car. yes i was tired by 1:00am. so i went to bed. got up at 5:00am to leave for our 2 1/2 hour drive,,was at our location by 7:30 am. did some stalking,really didnt exspect to see anything,so it was more quality time,and getting him warmed up for what was to come for our after noon hunt. we went back into town got something to eat,and went to cabin to make him rest,and get some sleep,i told him i dint want him in the climber with a gun,being tired. so i got him to sleep 2 hours. then got him up to go out again. we made it to one of my 6 hot spots,and was up the trees by 3:30 ish ,,sitting there a short while i had the video camera so used it showing how high up the tree he was,,the senery,and at times,filming his excitement watching him scan the cattails watvhing for deer,while eating his beef jerky. at about 3:45 the action started to heat up,,he passed up 3 does that came in within shooting range he decided to pass on. to back track just a tad,,on our drive up i told him if he shoots,and gets a buck id give him my 45 xd..keep that in mind, anyway as he let the does walk,a shot while later we had 2 more come inunder our stands,he let them go as well,,,ahour or so passed,,and a spike,and button buck came in,and bedded right under us! was there for about a hour 5 min. then wondered off. im thinking all this time,,he was unable to kill,or shoot any of these deer weve seen. when they left the area,,he asked to sit on the ground as he was cold,,getting real close to prime time,,we got down in a timely fashion,and sat on the ground 10 to 15 ft from stands. he said it was much better as he was cold in the tree. while sitting on the groud,we heard 2 bucks sparring,witch son thought that was real cool. at 7:25 pm i knoticed a nice 5 pointer comming our way,nice body mass 3 point on his left beam,2 points on his right beam. all i said was here comes a buck,,,he was cool as can be, watched the buck close the distance. then the buck turned,walking right to us head on. he cleared the berch trees,and was 15 yrds,in front of us,stopted and was looking arround. before i knew it son shot!,,and dropted him in his tracks! i was filming the whole thing,and son looked over at me,and said deals a deal,the 45 xd is mine-lol-lol i told him you little ****!! its like you planned this-lol he was shacking from nerves,trying not to show excitement,but then said, did i do ok? i said you kidding me,,you did that like a seasoned pro. we waited 20 min. to cam down,and let him die out,but to be honest i think he was dead before he dropted. we both just sat there and shared this moment in my sons life,first deer hunt,first buck. as i feild dressed him out,,the bullet hit the lower main artery,entered the heart,lungs,liver,and stoped in the stomach. it was an impressive shot. took us 2 hours to get him out of the woods on deer cart back to the car,and another 1/2 hour to the processors. we then celibrated with a nice dinner. at witch point i told him we still have sun to get him a doe. he said no,i think ill use that tag for regular season when we all go out. so sun we sleep in,then went back out to collect our climbers.while we were out he wanted to shoot his new 45 xd,,i had brought some 180 grain devistaors i made ,casted for him to shoot,he was shooting apples of a apple tree hitting everyone,not missing a single one. so i guess that answered the question if he could handle a 45 acp. then when we started back home,i pulled the car over,walked arround to his side,and opened the door and said,ok you drive me arround,,he looked at me like noooo way!! i said you got to start learning sometime. so he drove about 3 miles,and did well. on the way home he told me it was the best wkend hes ever had. and i was proud to be part of it,and there for him.

winelover
10-12-2010, 08:04 AM
[smilie=1:You now have a life long "huntin pardner" .[smilie=w:

Winelover

reloader28
10-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Sounds like you guys had a ball. He'll remember that weekend for a LONG time.:bigsmyl2:

EMC45
10-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Excellent write-up! Great story, thanks for sharing with the "crew"!

RugerFan
10-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Very nice! Youth hunts were always good to my son when he was younger. Got his first buck that way as well.

dk17hmr
10-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Nice write up.

Well done.

82nd airborne
10-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Man that brings back some memories. My oldest is 3 and she is already beggin to go with me!
Cant wait. Her mom made her first bow shot on a deer yesterday at 32 yards. It would have been impossible to make a better shot. It rained and I lost the blood trail. To say the least, she is upset.

Beerd
10-12-2010, 09:46 AM
hunting and shooting and a first deer and driving the truck! sounds like he did OK, (and Dad didn't do too bad himself ;) )

whitetailsniper
10-13-2010, 01:09 AM
i have to admit it guys,,i was so proud of him,,as i allways am..but truth be told ,,ive been deer hunting here in mich since i was 13 yrs old myself,have been hunting them deer ever since,,and i think i had a better time than he did.. ive taken my share to be sure,but i had one of the best times ive ever had deer hunting with him that wkend. im now 47 and i have a few more yrs in me to deer huntmmthen all my gear will go to the boys,and ill be the cook,and advisor.

missionary5155
10-13-2010, 06:21 AM
Good morning
Give your son a "Well done" from a getting older south western Michigan bred swamp runner (Riverside). Good reading too !

Larry Gibson
10-13-2010, 01:17 PM
And you should be proud, very proud indeed! Life long memories and a bond that can not be broken.....well done.

Larry Gibson

BouseBill
10-13-2010, 02:12 PM
one of those priceless rights of passage:smile: Congratulations to your son on his first deer and to you dad for being an outstanding father.

Bill

Blammer
10-13-2010, 03:51 PM
outstanding!

Arisaka99
10-14-2010, 08:45 PM
That's one lucky boy!! If my dad gave me his glock .40 for shooting a buck, I'd be out in the woods everyday!!! Congrats on his first deer, I have yet to get mine also, but maybe this year? Does anyone know if In VA its legal to carry a .22 pistol while hunting deer?

gon2shoot
10-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Thats good stuff right there, the value of the "hunt" will become more aparant as the years pass.

RP
10-14-2010, 09:55 PM
After that story I think i sucked as a dad, Thanks for making me feel like **** and you looking like the greatest dad ever, Nice story and congrades

home in oz
10-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Good Hunt!

Any deer with a muzzleloader is a trophy.

You BOTH should be proud.

whitetailsniper
10-15-2010, 01:10 AM
this is my youngest,and the last one still living at home,,,he is truley a outdoors kid,,he would rather cast bulets,reload,size them, then being outside with his friends. ive been doing this now for going on 10 yrs. and he allways want to be in on it,,specially when im doing some work for his 30-06 bolt rifle. i do 300 wsm, 9mm,454 casull, 45 long colt,45acp, 41 rem mag moslty. we have a surplus of other calibers we made in the past. he took to this sport,and hobby like a duck to water. for his age im impressed with what he has learned,and kept over the yrs. when were not doing any of this,he ask when im planning on it. i told him stuff is in the basement, go cast some ,or size some if youd like. i dont believe he is ready to throw powder as of yet. to soon for that,,just playing it safe. when the kids not doing this stuff,,hes kickin butt on medernwarfare 2 . i sit and watch him play,as he moes over other guys playin. i laugh my butt off when i hear the guys he either shoots,or knifes,,,that damm archangle12301 kid moves like nothing i ever seen. i really enjoy watching him play. and im looking forward to him getting and playing black opps. yea!!! i am proud to be his dad! he is a good kid. MY BUDDY.

Arisaka99
10-15-2010, 04:40 PM
I am ok on modern warfare, my friend has it for PS3 i get killed pretty bad sometimes though. I am gonna have my friend send him a request.

whitetailsniper
10-15-2010, 11:20 PM
son said he will be watching for it,, again his is ArkAngel12301 he is on often playing modernwarfare 2 and is truley amazing to watch. a real wrecking machine. just glad if he ever serves he is on our side-lol-

Arisaka99
10-16-2010, 08:33 PM
PS3 or Xbox, my friend has a PS3, his is themissinglink12 I think?

whitetailsniper
10-18-2010, 11:32 PM
he is on the ps3,,we will look him up